If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 12, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #4,996 of 19,272

I've had my ER4s custom tips for about 10 months. They are much more comfortable than the flange tips, but sound quality and isolation are highly dependent on placement. With the right placement, they improve the sound for me.

Not sure what you mean by placement. Surely with customs there is only one way they fit.
What makes the difference in SQ and isolation is in the design - how the Ety fits in the custom sleeve. The end of the barrel should be very near to the end of the bore in the custom sleeve, so the Ety is as deep in the ear canal as it would be with a flange tip. Many were made so that the custom tip is an extension and this reduces both SQ and isolation.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #4,997 of 19,272

I've had my ER4s custom tips for about 10 months. They are much more comfortable than the flange tips, but sound quality and isolation are highly dependent on placement. With the right placement, they improve the sound for me.

Not sure what you mean by placement. Surely with customs there is only one way they fit.
What makes the difference in SQ and isolation is in the design - how the Ety fits in the custom sleeve. The end of the barrel should be very near to the end of the bore in the custom sleeve, so the Ety is as deep in the ear canal as it would be with a flange tip. Many were made so that the custom tip is an extension and this reduces both SQ and isolation.

with customs, a millimeter too deep or slightly turned on the side and you can lose your fit. it actually takes me longer to get used to putting customs in my ears than it takes me to get used to put universals. that's all forgotten after a week and now I don't even think about what I'm doing when I use my customs. but the first days may be a little tricky.
and if the problem lasts then usually the mold was simply not good enough.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #4,998 of 19,272

The latter is most definitely the case for my custom tips. The tip of the IEM is well back of the end of the sleeve. When well seated, the effect is a more spacious sound stage. While they only fit well in one position, they are not as "tenacious" as the flange tips and slip out slightly unless I am very still. They are great for home listening, but I prefer the flange tips when traveling since they stay in place much better. 

Cheers... Brian

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #4,999 of 19,272

The latter is most definitely the case for my custom tips. The tip of the IEM is well back of the end of the sleeve. When well seated, the effect is a more spacious sound stage. While they only fit well in one position, they are not as "tenacious" as the flange tips and slip out slightly unless I am very still. They are great for home listening, but I prefer the flange tips when traveling since they stay in place much better. 

Cheers... Brian

Provided you have a good impression, the custom should provide a perfect fit and seal. They won't budge unles you twist them out and should feel as if they're not there. The design you have also means that the Etys stick out more, making it difficult to route the cable over the ear and maybe affecting the fit when you are moving around.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #5,000 of 19,272

with customs, a millimeter too deep or slightly turned on the side and you can lose your fit. it actually takes me longer to get used to putting customs in my ears than it takes me to get used to put universals. that's all forgotten after a week and now I don't even think about what I'm doing when I use my customs. but the first days may be a little tricky.
and if the problem lasts then usually the mold was simply not good enough.

Cheers... Brian

This is why i make my own shells... i can adjust everything when i want in few minutes.
Some of my CIEMS shells are different from others... depending of the drivers configuration.
The devil is in the details, perfection needs weeks and months of adjustments.
All of them have very different nozzles and a perfect comfort and fit
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #5,001 of 19,272
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #5,002 of 19,272
  I had considered getting the custom molding for the Ety's since none of the supplied tips worked well for me; however, after using foam ear plugs that I cut myself I'm fully satisfied with the isolation and sound (I could never get any base from the stock tips).  Anyone else use foam ear plugs?  Here's my post a little while back with a couple pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/538615/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you/4800#post_10928391

My only concern with that tip mod is there's no tubing surrounding the nozzle end, not much is stopping the foam from folding over the opening as it retains shape.

I have done similar with IEM a long time ago.

I can tell you for me despite trying several times Ety triple flange silicon simply isn't for me, I find them uncomfortable, irritating and don't provide sound I'm satisfied with, like it restricts the detail for my canals. Must be foam tips, and the only IEM I use them on. My Ety are back out of retirement actually despite what I mentioned a few pages back.

I've avoided earaches but managed to have a little thin strand of tip glue or something deep in my canal the last few days which makes butterfly noises.

Loving the Ety life. (but I do love them)

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #5,004 of 19,272
  my etys got retired once I realized I literally cant make them comfortable enough to not hurt

Yes, a little self-premeditation is required at times.

Was an experience in itself when I discovered just how deep the correct insertion is.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #5,005 of 19,272
got rid of my er4(third pair I get then end up selling over the years). this guy is really making me go mad. when I don't have it I regret it, but when I have it, it stays in the drawer and I always take the hf5 or mc5 instead(I just cut a bit of the stress relief plastic so that I can go over the ear more naturally). and all with foam, I also can't deal with the flanges, triple or double I could never stand them more than half an hour. I've very jealous of people who are comfy with the triple flange, because the isolation is crazy good.
gnarlsagan copyrighted mod did help for the cable noise but I still had less on the hf5. I always feel like I give up a better sound for ****ty reasons, but in the end the er4 just isn't for me.
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #5,007 of 19,272
got rid of my er4(third pair I get then end up selling over the years). this guy is really making me go mad. when I don't have it I regret it, but when I have it, it stays in the drawer and I always take the hf5 or mc5 instead(I just cut a bit of the stress relief plastic so that I can go over the ear more naturally). and all with foam, I also can't deal with the flanges, triple or double I could never stand them more than half an hour. I've very jealous of people who are comfy with the triple flange, because the isolation is crazy good.
gnarlsagan copyrighted mod did help for the cable noise but I still had less on the hf5. I always feel like I give up a better sound for ****ty reasons, but in the end the er4 just isn't for me.:frowning2:  

I know I'd regret selling my ER4S, I only need to think how deeply thier detail has touched my soul with certain tracks over these months. Surprisingly, they don't always win me over, I do have 'these aren't cutting it days' Then bam like a hot stripper wake me up again. Sometimes I just want to shut off the world extracting as much detail as possible, the isolation, a decent amp (in my case JDS Labs C421) accomplish this task. So = no sell.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #5,008 of 19,272
I know I'd regret selling my ER4S, I only need to think how deeply thier detail has touched my soul with certain tracks over these months. Surprisingly, they don't always win me over, I do have 'these aren't cutting it days' Then bam like a hot stripper wake me up again. Sometimes I just want to shut off the world extracting as much detail as possible, the isolation, a decent amp (in my case JDS Labs C421) accomplish this task. So = no sell.

I will try not to make this mistake.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5,009 of 19,272

I will try not to make this mistake.

I debated it once due to the comfort reasons most cite, however a good friend once convinced me not to because I would regret it. Now I've found a much better tip and insertion method and the discomfort is almost completely gone. They aren't great if I want to remove them a lot, as they chafe the ear canal easily this way, but putting them in for one long session isn't that bad now, and their accuracy besides the lowest sub bass is very very impressive with red filters. In fact, I'd say it might still be the best I've heard. The bass can sometimes leave me wanting more bottom end, but other times I could care less. It really depends on the music.

For the most part though, the er4s leave me amazed at their transparency and coherency. I don't think I'll ever sell mine even if I get more earphones I love. I don't even use my er4s as my "main" set, but I still won't sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back