If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #14,056 of 19,252
How do the ER2 & ER3 compare to the HF5?
I think ER3SE is tonally similar to hf5, but in a higher class of capability and fidelity. It’s good enough that for quite a lot of music (not all), I’d personally pick 3SE ahead of the old 4S. If you’ve been looking for a very upgraded hf5, I think 3SE pretty much is that.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #14,057 of 19,252
I tried the foam tips on my ER4XR again today. I initially thought they were a joke but honestly I'm not so sure. They make the sound a lot more lively than the stock tips for sure but I think what's happening is some sort of boost in the mids\low treble. However, I still get much of the same coherency and perhaps the missing treble between 4-10K is a bit more apparent. Really strange how the sound changes and it is sort of an improvement.

Which tips do you use?

Edit: Also, the isolation on the foam tips is out of this world.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #14,058 of 19,252
I tried the foam tips on my ER4XR again today. I initially thought they were a joke but honestly I'm not so sure. They make the sound a lot more lively than the stock tips for sure but I think what's happening is some sort of boost in the mids\low treble. However, I still get much of the same coherency and perhaps the missing treble between 4-10K is a bit more apparent. Really strange how the sound changes and it is sort of an improvement.

Which tips do you use?

At the suggestion of mortusmarkussen, I've decided to try shure olives and comply foams. I never got a good comfortable ety experience untill now. The olives go so deep and sound excellent for me.

I even prefer these over my custom westones in terms of sound. For fit, I'm actually surprised at how comfortable they are.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #14,059 of 19,252
I think I have like a bag of those tips because the guy I bought the ER4 from (he couldn't get a good fit) bought those. I didn't try those but the foam tips Ety give you do something interesting to the mids\low treble. I'm hearing more delay, predelay, and reverb on songs. It's like there's more detail than before. Bass is a bit warmer too I think.

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #14,060 of 19,252
I think I have like a bag of those tips because the guy I bought the ER4 from (he couldn't get a good fit) bought those. I didn't try those but the foam tips Ety give you do something interesting to the mids\low treble. I'm hearing more delay, predelay, and reverb on songs. It's like there's more detail than before. Bass is a bit warmer too I think.

Honestly, after trying comply and Shure olives, i'd find it hard to believe you can't fit etymotic. Concha area is impacted and it pretty much allows you to go as large or as small as you'd like. On the other hand you have to get used to the deep insertion I guess.

Sep 2, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #14,062 of 19,252
I get a good fit with the standard triple flange tips but the foam ones make the ER4 sound more lively. More in line with what would be considered neutral perhaps.

Hehe, I was very sceptical about my er4sr and considered it a seriously wrong purchase on my end but I've been listening to it for the last two hours without any comfort issues since switching to the Shure olives and I'm really digging the sound signature. I don't know if I had ever spent money on a ciem or higher costing IEM's if I had known about the olives before :) Really is straight up my alley for my small ears

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #14,063 of 19,252
Yep, ER4SR + Shure Olive tips is the best :)

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #14,064 of 19,252
Repair ER4SR cable?
Hi.

1) My cable has developed intermittent connection issues at the splitter. Seems to be the side where L/R twisted cables enter, not the single cable end. Has anyone successfully repaired their cable? Looking for a way to salvage this set and not buy a Ety replacement.

2) Also any recommendations for a 4.4 balanced cable that won't "break the bank?"

Thanks!
Charlie

Sep 2, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #14,065 of 19,252

Which tips do you use?

What I found using single flange or shallow insertion, the overall treble are reduced maybe because more skin are exposed (which act like damper). Also the upper treble above 12k shift down to 10k. So do you hear more 10k and less 13k-14k?

Sep 2, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #14,066 of 19,252
1) My cable has developed intermittent connection issues at the splitter. Seems to be the side where L/R twisted cables enter, not the single cable end. Has anyone successfully repaired their cable? Looking for a way to salvage this set and not buy a Ety replacement.

2) Also any recommendations for a 4.4 balanced cable that won't "break the bank?"

1) Rewiring a new Y-splitter in shouldn't be too difficult if you have the right tool and skill. It will require higher heat to do the job so a temp. controlled soldering station will be best.

2) Could have just reterminated your cable to 4.4mm while you at it. I converted mine to 2.5mm balanced awhile back. I am cheap so I make my own cable, can't beat that for cost.

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #14,067 of 19,252
I actually went back to the standard tips. The foam ones made the sound a bit too warm, in the mids especially or lower treble, but it made them sound quite weird despite the extra detail. There was definitely some additional ear gain happening because they also sounded louder and shouty on vocals on a lot of tracks.

Stock tips give you the sound as good as it can be so I stuck with that. There's just nothing like it in terms of transparency even though I still think there is probably some missing treble past 4K.

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #14,068 of 19,252
I won't have chose to sand the driver myself and ruined any chance of future warranty claim. It will be much easier to get an Ety compatible mmcx connector to replace the connector on the Linum cable or just build yourself a right-angled adapter.

How would I go about building myself this kind of adapter?

I'd also be interested to learn how to build my own cables, the materials needed, etc. if you don't mind helping me out...

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #14,069 of 19,252
How would I go about building myself this kind of adapter?

I'd also be interested to learn how to build my own cables, the materials needed, etc. if you don't mind helping me out...

That particular cable in the picture is the Linum cable by Estron, but otherwise building cable is mostly about getting a good base cable and soldering all the parts together. This can be as plain and cheap as possible or very fancy and costly, depends on the materiel you use. A reel of cable usually is going to be too long for hobbyist use. I usually just buy pre-made cable and mod them to my need. Of course you still need to learn how to solder properly, but that's nothing you can't learn from a few YouTube videos. Though a decent cheap soldering iron will do the job, a temperature controlled soldering station is going to be very helpful in the long run. Also good soldering flux.

For the right angled adapter, you will need a pair of Etymotic specific MMCX adapter (*all can be found on eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc), a short variant of screw-type MMCX socket, an few inches of wires, plus some strong glue (I use UV glue as much as I can). The MMCX adapter will need to be sanded down just a little bit to fix the MMCX socket tightly, so a small rotary tool like Dremel will be very useful and time saving. The rest is just basic assembly.

Sep 5, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #14,070 of 19,252
That particular cable in the picture is the Linum cable by Estron, but otherwise building cable is mostly about getting a good base cable and soldering all the parts together. This can be as plain and cheap as possible or very fancy and costly, depends on the materiel you use. A reel of cable usually is going to be too long for hobbyist use. I usually just buy pre-made cable and mod them to my need. Of course you still need to learn how to solder properly, but that's nothing you can't learn from a few YouTube videos. Though a decent cheap soldering iron will do the job, a temperature controlled soldering station is going to be very helpful in the long run. Also good soldering flux.

For the right angled adapter, you will need a pair of Etymotic specific MMCX adapter (*all can be found on eBay, Amazon, Aliexpress, etc), a short variant of screw-type MMCX socket, an few inches of wires, plus some strong glue (I use UV glue as much as I can). The MMCX adapter will need to be sanded down just a little bit to fix the MMCX socket tightly, so a small rotary tool like Dremel will be very useful and time saving. The rest is just basic assembly.

Thanks, very helpful! If you don't mind me asking: any Ety specific MMCX adapter/moddable prebuilt cables you would recommend (preferable on Amazon/Ebay). My biggest fear undertaking this project is sourcing low quality material, and I would assume that you have a good idea of what works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back