If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #14,026 of 19,248
Man, I put these values in the Equalizer APO and my MH1C sounded unbelievably good. My sample is a little more nervous on Bass, so, I reduced 3db from 315hz to 20hz.

Before that, I simulated the ER3XR FR curve on the Cora, using the Heavymetal Helellujah' graphs. The result was very good, but not as good as this.

Can you do a etymotic simulation on Tanchjim Cora? I will be very grateful if you do, or if you post any that you have already done. Thanks In Advance.
When you EQ stuff based on graphs, you want accurate graphs as the baseline.

Heavymetal Halleluja's graphs I wouldn't consider to have very good accuracy. Although Crin's seem more assuring for use as a better baseline, I'm not entirely sure of it's precision in accuracy either. Heavymetal Halleluja's is obviously less accurate than Crin's.

Would custom molds possibly fix this issue while keeping the same audio quality? I know they can be expensive as well.
You should search in this thread for images and postings about custom tips. And also suggested insertion depth for ideal peak response, which I'm sure is the deepest you can insert the Ety. Majority of the postings on here about insertion, and your question is related to that as well. Can you get as good insertion with it. If you get a quality custom tip made, I have no doubt that the fit will be better, but I have doubt that the insertion depth would be.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #14,028 of 19,248
Im finding a 2.5mm balance cable for my er2se but could not find it with an angled mmcx. All i see is $50 cost. I just want something cheap like $20. Can anyone help me link to any of cheaper 2.5mm cable with angled mmcx?

Aug 22, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #14,029 of 19,248
Null-Audio has them. I just received mine.

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ethos-5n-cgocc-a-silver-plated-earphone-cable

IEM_termination_2000x.jpg

Aug 22, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #14,030 of 19,248
Aug 23, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #14,031 of 19,248
i use customfit moulds. the drivers are set a little further away, however whatever audio changes i have not noticed or gotten used to over time... and the fact that i can slip in perfectly fitted moulds makes them worth every dollar... no pain, no squeezing it really is great.. it makes me worry i can’t wear universals again without whinging haha...

do people have any upgrade suggestions i’m considering the u12t, andromeda s as next iems to test out.

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #14,032 of 19,248
i use customfit moulds. the drivers are set a little further away, however whatever audio changes i have not noticed or gotten used to over time... and the fact that i can slip in perfectly fitted moulds makes them worth every dollar... no pain, no squeezing it really is great.. it makes me worry i can’t wear universals again without whinging haha...

do people have any upgrade suggestions i’m considering the u12t, andromeda s as next iems to test out.

I've just sold my ER4XR as I was getting a little bored with the flat response. It was definitely good to experience it but now I'm heading back towards balanced / reference.

I would suggest Empire Ears ESR (which i have just bought and am pretty happy with), Noble Savant / Encore / Katana or Ultimate Ears UERR.

Aug 25, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #14,033 of 19,248
I am waiting for an ER3XR to arrive. However, I just realized that there are several reports on "side stop working" in Amazon reviews and now I'm a little worried, since I live in Brazil and to send it back is very complicated. Has anyone here ever had a problem with ER3?

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #14,034 of 19,248
I am waiting for an ER3XR to arrive. However, I just realized that there are several reports on "side stop working" in Amazon reviews and now I'm a little worried, since I live in Brazil and to send it back is very complicated. Has anyone here ever had a problem with ER3?
I honestly think etymotics are extremely durable. I had one but it wasn't er3s that last for years and years. I wouldn't worry if I was you.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #14,035 of 19,248
Anybody knows if the ER4 nozzle is smaller than the nozzle of the Final Audio E-series? I tried the Final Audio E5000 and thought it was a bit big for my small ear canals. I want to know if the Etymotic ER4XR is smaller... better for small ears. Thanks!

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #14,036 of 19,248
Anybody knows if the ER4 nozzle is smaller than the nozzle of the Final Audio E-series? I tried the Final Audio E5000 and thought it was a bit big for my small ear canals. I want to know if the Etymotic ER4XR is smaller... better for small ears. Thanks!

Yes, both the barrell itself and the nozzle where the tip is placed are smaller than the E5000s. The nozzle, in particular, is significantly thinner and longer than the E5000 nozzle.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #14,037 of 19,248
Yes, both the barrell itself and the nozzle where the tip is placed are smaller than the E5000s. The nozzle, in particular, is significantly thinner and longer than the E5000 nozzle.

Thank you! I think I am ready to make the jump into the Ety world of sound :wink:

Now, any tips to help me choose between the ER4XR and SR models? I am looking for speed, detail and clarity, and a neutral signature, with (as much as possible) good extension at the top and the bottom... without sounding warm.

In short, which model offers the best balance between the lows and the highs?

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #14,038 of 19,248
Thank you! I think I am ready to make the jump into the Ety world of sound :wink:

Now, any tips to help me choose between the ER4XR and SR models? I am looking for speed, detail and clarity, and a neutral signature, with (as much as possible) good extension at the top and the bottom... without sounding warm.

The ER4XR and ER3SE are extremely balanced. Do keep in mine that I am not a bass head. I like balanced sound. The tri tips are probably the best for sound quality if they fit your ears. The foams are best for noise isolation, but it does tames down the highs ever so slightly. But it also increases the bass in a good way.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #14,039 of 19,248

Personally, I went with the 4XRs and glad that I did. I don't think I would enjoy an IEM with any less bass than the 4XRs, but that really depends on your own personal preferences. I also have the E5000 and enjoy how warm they are, but compared to the E5000, both the ER4XR and SR would sound much more neutral.

You can also consider the ER3SE or ER2 series. I actually just purchased a pair of ER2XRs for my daily commute. I was wanting a bit more bass than what my 4XRs were giving me when I'm out.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #14,040 of 19,248

So what do you think of the cable? Thinking of getting one myself. I've been looking for a 2.5mm balanced cable for my ER3XR, but don't know what to get. I've seen some out there, but couldn't find any reviews or impressions on them.

Is the MMCX connection a snug fit like the default cable? Do the notches line up perfectly? I'm worried about the drivers annoyingly spinning around.

Also, I asked them if I can get the cable without the memory wire, and they said they can remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back