If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #14,011 of 19,251
Have you tries dual flange mod? (cutting the largest flange)

The eartips' insertion depth are limited by the first two flanges not being able to go around the second bend without great discomfort especially in my right ear

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #14,012 of 19,251
The eartips' insertion depth are limited by the first two flanges not being able to go around the second bend without great discomfort especially in my right ear
Which tri flange are you using? I suggest grey or white ones for people with small ear canal. The transparent one is a bit thicker than the other twos. There are two types of white triflange. One from ER20 or Gotears/earjob, another is from shure. From experience shure ones are easier to fit(a tad smaller). https://www.earplugstore.com/roauprtrflti.html

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #14,014 of 19,251
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #14,016 of 19,251
Deeper than Foam and seals better than the recently included triple flanges, would be interested. Peak shifted to 13k is better. I wonder where the peak is usually with the foam tips. I suspect foam relieves the peak a bit as well?
Depends on what foam.
Ety grey foam: some what shallow insertion has peak around 7khz -10khz with pretty wide band. If you can insert this foam very deeply you will get a bump around 10khz. But the sound is grainy on either depth.
Comply tsx100, pretty flat if insert deeply but overall darker.
Shure yellow, pretty flat with a dip around 8khz.
Shure black, pretty flat, brighter than comply.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #14,018 of 19,251
! Cheating the insertion depth wars !

Would have kept doing this for real too, if I didn't get a certain imbalance above 10kHz between my two ears with this particular setup :joy:

the thought of that tip scraping the inside of the ears makes me shiver :sweat_smile:

i encourage you to try the Yotaphone 2 eartips. it's the best solution so far for me to achieve the deep insertion like the triple flange

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #14,019 of 19,251
Depends on what foam.
Ety grey foam: some what shallow insertion has peak around 7khz -10khz with pretty wide band. If you can insert this foam very deeply you will get a bump around 10khz. But the sound is grainy on either depth.
Comply tsx100, pretty flat if insert deeply but overall darker.
Shure yellow, pretty flat with a dip around 8khz.
Shure black, pretty flat, brighter than comply.
I meant the stock foam, at least the one that came with the ER2SE. I recently measured my custom monitor, and I noticed that my coupler put out a peak at the usual spot. Customs measurements using 711 couplers are unreliable beyond a certain frequency point because the customs inserts differently than with couplers, and deeper (our ears in general get inserted differently from couplers, which creates variance). I suspect usual response from these couplers will be peaks at the early treble area.

Interestingly, my experience with the universal version of this custom was that the sound was bright, and now I realize why. The shallow insertion brought down the peaks within the bands of treble with higher intensity.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #14,020 of 19,251
Seems headfi doesn't like it.
(copy the following to a text file and save it as .csv file)
20 -11.4
25 -11.4
31.5 -11.4
40 -11.4
50 -11.4
63 -11.7
80 -11.7
100 -11.5
125 -10.5
160 -9.4
200 -8.7
250 -7.7
315 -7.3
400 -6.5
500 -6.2
630 -5.5
800 -5.2
1000 -5.3
1250 -4.1
1600 -3.7
2000 -4.2
2500 -3.7
3150 -4.8
4000 -7.3
5000 -7
6300 -6.3
8000 -8
10000 -7.9
12500 -10.5
16000 -9.8
20000 -21

Man, I put these values in the Equalizer APO and my MH1C sounded unbelievably good. My sample is a little more nervous on Bass, so, I reduced 3db from 315hz to 20hz.

Before that, I simulated the ER3XR FR curve on the Cora, using the Heavymetal Helellujah' graphs. The result was very good, but not as good as this.
CORA-ER3XR.png

Can you do a etymotic simulation on Tanchjim Cora? I will be very grateful if you do, or if you post any that you have already done. Thanks In Advance.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #14,021 of 19,251
Man, I put these values in the Equalizer APO and my MH1C sounded unbelievably good, My sample is a little more nervous on Bass, so, I reduced 3db from 315hz to 20hz.

Before that, I simulated the ER3XR FR curve on the Cora, using the Heavymetal Helellujah' graphs. The result was very good, but not as good as this.

Can you do a etymotic simulation on Tanchjim Cora? I will be very grateful if you do, or if you post any that you have already done. Thanks In Advance.
First of all, that was just to prove a point.
Secondly, cora is different from mh1c which is almost completely peak free in the highs, is has some peak at around 7khz. And that differs from person to person. It's doable but as insertion changes it will change eventually.
Here is how you do it:
Firstly use tone generator (10% or less volume) to pick out the peaks at high frequency (7khz-15khz) and eq them out. And then use music with dense frequency response like metal to matched the bass mids. Mids is very very sensitive in metal music. So that's the trick I use. I basically only use first few seconds of the tracks. Some tracks are
Architects-Gravedigger
Architects-The devil is near
In Flames-My sweet shadow
In Flames-Like you better dead
Omnium Gatherum-Nova Flame
Omnium Gatherum-New world shadows
Mors Principium Est- Terminal Liberation
The some other tracks to further fine tune.
Trust me classic music and vocal doesn't work, electronic can be useful for bass some times.
Use 15 band eq first. Then add 31 band to match. After that you can add another variable to fine tune further. The eq I posted is just 31band. Close enough. Make sure there's minimal to none red region other wise there can be clipping causing distortion.
Oh btw the eq profile I posted also includes the "flaws" of er4. So there can be further improvements. For example: add a bit 800hz and reduce a bit 1.6-2khzkhz, then add a bit around 7- 8khz and 13khz. (may also use tone generator to make sure 7khz - 15khz is peak free) This will sound less ety like but it will sound flatter, almost lack characteristics even. But then you may realize the recording is very very lively and transparent to you.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #14,022 of 19,251
Secondly, cora is different from mh1c which is almost completely peak free in the highs,
Yep, MH1C would have been superior to Etys for me if not for the too-warm overall tilt (which unfortunately seems to happen to all IEMs without treble peakiness)

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #14,023 of 19,251
Secondly, cora is different from mh1c which is almost completely peak free in the highs, is has some peak at around 7khz. And that differs from person to person. It's doable but as insertion changes it will change eventually.
Here is how you do it:
Firstly use tone generator (10% or less volume) to pick out the peaks at high frequency (7khz-15khz) and eq them out. And then use music with dense frequency response like metal to matched the bass mids. Mids is very very sensitive in metal music. So that's the trick I use. I basically only use first few seconds of the tracks. Some tracks are
Architects-Gravedigger
Architects-The devil is near
In Flames-My sweet shadow
In Flames-Like you better dead
Omnium Gatherum-Nova Flame
Omnium Gatherum-New world shadows
Mors Principium Est- Terminal Liberation
The some other tracks to further fine tune.
Trust me classic music and vocal doesn't work, electronic can be useful for bass some times.
Use 15 band eq first. Then add 31 band to match. After that you can add another variable to fine tune further. The eq I posted is just 31band. Close enough. Make sure there's minimal to none red region other wise there can be clipping causing distortion.
Oh btw the eq profile I posted also includes the "flaws" of er4. So there can be further improvements. For example: add a bit 800hz and reduce a bit 1.6-2khzkhz, then add a bit around 7- 8khz and 13khz. (may also use tone generator to make sure 7khz - 15khz is peak free) This will sound less ety like but it will sound flatter, almost lack characteristics even. But then you may realize the recording is very very lively and transparent to you.
Thanks for for the feedback and the sugestions, I will try it for sure.

Few weeks ago, you recomended me the ER2XR, because I said to you that i like some Bass.

But i'm a little worried about it, because I saw some owners complaining about the Bass being a little too much and, in fact, I want something neutral with a little Bass bump, to compensate the physical sensation provided by speakers.

Given this, I want to kindly ask you some questions:

1- Do you still recommend the ER2XR, or is it better, in this case, the ER3XR?

2- Is the perceived difference on bass quantity very large between the two (ER2XR and ER3XR)?

3- Is the perceived bass quantity of the ER2XR much lower, or is it similar to the bass quantity of the Tanchjim Cora?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #14,024 of 19,251
I am considering the ER4XR. I am especially interested in them to get clarity, speed, detail and extension (in highs and lows). Let me know if I am conspiring the wrong in-ears :wink:

Two questions:

1) how difficult are they to drive? I am planning on using them with my small Fiio M6 player.

2) how does a custom fit/mold affect the sound signature and overall frequencies? compared to the stock three-flange silicone tips.

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #14,025 of 19,251
I am considering the ER4XR. I am especially interested in them to get clarity, speed, detail and extension (in highs and lows). Let me know if I am conspiring the wrong in-ears :wink:

Two questions:

1) how difficult are they to drive? I am planning on using them with my small Fiio M6 player.

2) how does a custom fit/mold affect the sound signature and overall frequencies? compared to the stock three-flange silicone tips.

Thanks!

Get them!! You won't be dissapointed. They are easily driven by my Iphone 6, and Sony DAP, with the volume a tad higher than normal.

I am wondering about custom molds myself. I use tri-flanges as they provide the best fit out of the included tips, and (to me) best sound quality. However I almost never seem to have the perfect fit, or it takes multiple insertions. Would custom molds possibly fix this issue while keeping the same audio quality? I know they can be expensive as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back