If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #13,562 of 19,246
Lubricants make it easier to insert. But I don't see how it will improve comfort?

New tri-flanges can feel scratchy to some. With time, your earwax will lubricate it and the silicone will soften slightly. Lubricants just help with accelerating the process. Also, for those who are not used to IEM, lubrications also help till the skin in the ear canal gets accustomed to having a foreign object inside.

Jun 20, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #13,564 of 19,246
For you comply users, what size should I use? For reference, the small beige ety foams don’t seal at all, small shure olives almost seal but need to be a bit bigger. Grey etymotic foams seal well but are just a tad too big for my ears, and make them feel stuffed.

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #13,568 of 19,246
Thanks for the reply.

I seem to have had this fit problem with Etymotics for a while and I am at my wit’s end. The ER2XR sound is so perfect for me but getting a good fit is so difficult. Neither triflange size seals super well for me (can still hear my fingers rubbing test), stock foam is a little too big and hurts after 20 minutes in, small beige foam doesn’t seal at all, shure olives seal well enough but hurt after 30 minutes. I have yet to try comply but I’m skeptical due to its durability.

What’s really frustrating is that, when I had the ER2SE last week, the third party triflanges I bought would seal perfectly almost every time. I thought I had it down. Then, when I got 2XR and switched the tips over from the 2SE, they suddenly stopped sealing no matter how hard I tried. Now I can’t really find anything that both seals well and doesn’t hurt after short listening sessions.

Does anybody have any advice or am I SOL? If it helps, it seems I can seal the second bend but can never seal the first, outer ear canal

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #13,570 of 19,246
Thanks for the reply.

I seem to have had this fit problem with Etymotics for a while and I am at my wit’s end. The ER2XR sound is so perfect for me but getting a good fit is so difficult. Neither triflange size seals super well for me (can still hear my fingers rubbing test), stock foam is a little too big and hurts after 20 minutes in, small beige foam doesn’t seal at all, shure olives seal well enough but hurt after 30 minutes. I have yet to try comply but I’m skeptical due to its durability.

What’s really frustrating is that, when I had the ER2SE last week, the third party triflanges I bought would seal perfectly almost every time. I thought I had it down. Then, when I got 2XR and switched the tips over from the 2SE, they suddenly stopped sealing no matter how hard I tried. Now I can’t really find anything that both seals well and doesn’t hurt after short listening sessions.

Does anybody have any advice or am I SOL? If it helps, it seems I can seal the second bend but can never seal the first, outer ear canal

It took me a while to get good at getting a seal to be honest. Just kept going to that etymotic video on proper insertion to get it right. It kind of became a ritual.

Pull ear up and twist in like a screw. With foam tips you compress first and then just try to screw it in as fast as possible, and wait a good 20 seconds for the foam to seal.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #13,571 of 19,246
Thanks for the reply.

Which third party tri-flanges are you using?

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #13,572 of 19,246
Also, for you guys, how long does each pair of comply last?

For me. Complys are super excellent comfortable, but they do change the sound signature a bit. Grey tri-flange has best sound for me, but they scrape my ears. Complys, for me, daily wear about 3-5 hours per day, they last me about 3 months per pair, consisitently, for the 8 years or so I have been using them.

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #13,573 of 19,246
For me. Complys are super excellent comfortable, but they do change the sound signature a bit. Grey tri-flange has best sound for me, but they scrape my ears. Complys, for me, daily wear about 3-5 hours per day, they last me about 3 months per pair, consisitently, for the 8 years or so I have been using them.

Very interesting! That’s a lot longer than I’ve thought. A lot of people I’ve talked to said they last less than 1 month often.

Which model/size do you use?

Which third party tri-flanges are you using?
The earphones plus triflanges from Amazon!

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #13,574 of 19,246
Very interesting! That’s a lot longer than I’ve thought. A lot of people I’ve talked to said they last less than 1 month often.

Which model/size do you use?

I mostly use the Tx-100 smalls, but I have also been using "comfort" Ts-100, the "isolation" t-100, the "sport pro" Sx-100 and I have tried the "Truly Wireless for Jabra Elite 65t".

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #13,575 of 19,246

Interesting. What do you do to make them last so long? How do you clean them? I just ordered a pair of comply p series in medium! Since small shure Olives are a tad too small and ety grey foam are a tad too big, hopefully these will work out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back