If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 28, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #13,396 of 19,249
20190528_220511-01.jpeg

here's another eartips that can be used with etys without adapters (or any other small nozzle for that matter) ; the Sony MH755 tips

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #13,398 of 19,249
The e3000 is bass overload, the e2000 is much more neutral, I thought e4000 was supposed to be more like the e2000 and so perhaps not bass crazy. Anyhow, looks like I should take a look at the er2. Only if etymotic would release the mic cable for the ers now that there are 6 of them that share a cable.
The problem is they both have serious quality control issue. I bought two pairs of e3000 both have 6db imbalance bass. And i bought e4000 in the store and opened three pair just to get two single units to match. And the bass of e4000 is not any less than e3000. It's even more dense and weighty than e3000 which is somewhat soft and pleasing. The treble of e3000 is much more forgiving, slight hump at 6k that's it.

May 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #13,399 of 19,249
The problem is they both have serious quality control issue. I bought two pairs of e3000 both have 6db imbalance bass. And i bought e4000 in the store and opened three pair just to get two single units to match. And the bass of e4000 is not any less than e3000. It's even more dense and weighty than e3000 which is somewhat soft and pleasing. The treble of e3000 is much more forgiving, slight hump at 6k that's it.
Did you contact final audio about your findings? I'm surprised that they have that level of quality control issues as goods meant to be exported to Japan usually go through a higher level qc process

May 28, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #13,400 of 19,249
Did you contact final audio about your findings? I'm surprised that they have that level of quality control issues as goods meant to be exported to Japan usually go through a higher level qc process
my anecdotal experience with a pair of E2000 is sadly similar.
osefffff.jpg
usual warning!!!!! non standard measurement done on lego rig, no compensation. if it looks like other measurements, that's probably just luck. :metal:

I instantly liked the general signature(warm, yet kind of fun) but after 20seconds something felt so weirdly shifted in one of my so called test songs, that I stopped listening and went straight to measure the pair to find out what was going on. anywhere else I wouldn't have bothered, but right around 3kHz that's the worst place to have a big frequency imbalance so I sent it back to Amazooone saying specifically why.

I'm wouldn't dare to draw big conclusion about the production quality based on my massive sampling of 1 pair ^_^. but it's enough to show that crap happens.
I kind of want another pair, I like the sound, they're small, that's already a lot of good points, but the isolation is not great so I kind of know that it would most likely end up with all the other IEMs I kind of enjoy one week a year because the rest of the time I use Ety IEMs or an old pair of SE215 because their isolation roxxxx.

May 28, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #13,401 of 19,249
my anecdotal experience with a pair of E2000 is sadly similar.

usual warning!!!!! non standard measurement done on lego rig, no compensation. if it looks like other measurements, that's probably just luck. :metal:

I instantly liked the general signature(warm, yet kind of fun) but after 20seconds something felt so weirdly shifted in one of my so called test songs, that I stopped listening and went straight to measure the pair to find out what was going on. anywhere else I wouldn't have bothered, but right around 3kHz that's the worst place to have a big frequency imbalance so I sent it back to Amazooone saying specifically why.

I'm wouldn't dare to draw big conclusion about the production quality based on my massive sampling of 1 pair ^_^. but it's enough to show that **** happens.
I kind of want another pair, I like the sound, they're small, that's already a lot of good points, but the isolation is not great so I kind of know that it would most likely end up with all the other IEMs I kind of enjoy one week a year because the rest of the time I use Ety IEMs or an old pair of SE215 because their isolation roxxxx.
I'll give my pair another listen with a frequency generator. Anyhow let's not litter this post with final audio stuff. I think it would be great to add these to the final audio thread and I can send them a note to follow up there.
*I tried a couple sweeps but apart from maybe a slight bump below 100hz towards the left(hard to tell in lower frequencies) I've got nothing. On another note, putting complies on the e2000s ramps up the bass/dulls the high mids quite a bit. I'm guessing it's a combination of plugging the front ports and the harder and longer center tube. Also as a final note on the well, final audio, they are looking into the mismatched driver issue to see if a random sampling of their stock will show anything.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #13,406 of 19,249
May 29, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #13,408 of 19,249
etys are also about 1000x more durable compared to the re600.

Are the resistors still in the cable with the newer ER series?

Yep, Etys are terrifically durable, 2.5 years of use with mine and no driver issues, or even MMCX connector issues from snagging the cable on many a doorknob

May 29, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #13,409 of 19,249
20190529_234536.jpg

Received the 2XR today. It addresses what I wanted from the 2SE - more bass (especially subbass) as well as more warmth for a more natural presentation. Does also address the dynamics issue with ER2 to a great extent.

Really enjoy it. 2SE is slightly brighter and less bassy and offers a mid forward experience imo. 2XR has a more downslope FR type of tone which I prefer.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 29, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #13,410 of 19,249

Received the 2XR today. It addresses what I wanted from the 2SE - more bass (especially subbass) as well as more warmth for a more natural presentation. Does also address the dynamics issue with ER2 to a great extent.

Really enjoy it. 2SE is slightly brighter and less bassy and offers a mid forward experience imo. 2XR has a more downslope FR type of tone which I prefer.
Very similar to what I heard when I compared them back to back (and against the 4XR). I am really enjoying the 2XR :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back