1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...

First

Back
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897
Next

Last
  1. panasonicst60
    Anyone know what the ETA for balanced cable is? Hopefully a 4.4mm would be release. This and the in-line mic has been requested to death, but nothing. We are talking years. This is very disappointing. Etymotic would make a fortune. I had my first quality iem about 6-7 years ago, the hf3 and the wire is coming apart. I have always been a big fan of Etymotic, but with the lack of a balanced cable and modified mmcx is a turn off. Seam like they don't listen to their customer feedback, unlike Ibasso.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. panasonicst60
    I'm trying to decide between the ER2SE and ER3SE. Anyone gave this a head to head yet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. DivineCurrent
    I don’t have the ER3SE, but I recently got the ER2SE. I held off on the ER4 series because I tend not to like the balanced armature sound, so when I found out the ER2 series would have dynamic drivers, I had to get one. I’m sure glad I did because the ER2SE have incredible clarity and detail across the frequency range. And, they don’t have that added harmonic distortion the ER4 has in the midrange due to the BA driver. I enjoy the stock sound of the ER2SE, but I enjoy them even more with some EQ. Reducing the upper mids a bit made them perfect for me. I find the midrange kind of forward stock. And my daily driver is an HD600.

panasonicst60 likes this.
  4. panasonicst60
    Thanks for your input. I heard the er2se is very very close but not as clear as the er3se when in comes to mids and highs. I would assume the er2se would have slightly better bass and distortion.....

5. panasonicst60
    So what's your take on the er2se?

6. wquiles
    This week I got the notification they were shipped, and they are scheduled to arrive next week. I will post impressions when they arrive.

7. DivineCurrent
    Yeah, usually dynamic drivers have the more impactful bass and lower distortion than BA drivers. I used to have the Klipsch X10, they also use BA drivers and the ER2-SE has the better bass, although less in quantity. Another thing is you may prefer the ER2XR if you really want the sub-bass impact. I may pick up the ER2XR to try out, just to see if I prefer more bass to the neutral SE.

8. panasonicst60
    Massdrop is so slow. You do save a bit most of the time though.

9. panasonicst60
    Having harder bass is not too important for me as more accurate and the quality of the bass. So er2xr is out of the question. I found a deal on a pair of used er3se in good condition for $90 I couldn't resist. Wondering which has the better quality of bass??

10. panasonicst60
    I know these iem don't require a lot of power. But which one responds better when fed with more power? Anyone test there etymotic with more power than say a smartphone?

Edit: Doing some of my own research and it seems like BA doesn't really benefit that much when feeding more power. I do know that a lot of dynamic drivers do benefit for more power.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    WhatToChoose likes this.
  11. castleofargh Contributor
    the power needed is determined by the sensitivity of the transducer you're using, not by the type of driver. here when assessing power needs, be careful that Etymotic usually provides a value in dB for a given amount of voltage. don't directly compare that to specs given by most brands in dB/mW.

also just in case, once you have settled on a listening level, the amp provides enough power or fails to do so in some way. there is no third electrical situation where an amp can just go and send more power into the load without making the music louder.

12. TrantaLocked
    Is it possible to get a cable with less impedance that that turns the ER4SR into something more like an ER4P?

13. Dealux
    ^ I don't think the impedance is set in the cable. IEMs aren't tuned that way anymore.

I'm considering getting the ER4XR as an upgrade to the ER3XR because I'm a big fan of the Etymotic sound and find it very accurate. I do find them slightly bright (and perhaps mid forward as well), especially on some days, but the coherency of the sound is very good overall. Better than a bunch of full size cans that I've owned. Would it actually make sense to use the ER4XR as a reference headphone? I think the lack of distortion and good extension in the bass make them better than a lot of full size cans and not to mention the coherency of the sound.

14. panasonicst60
    Any eta on the balanced cable? Any reason for a long delay? Thanks

15. ClieOS Contributor
    As said, there isn't any impedance (=resistors) in the cable so you can't make it less. But it is possible to have a very mild low pass filter build into a custom cable that makes it sound more like a 4P - it will however increase the impedance instead. The actual easy way of doing this is just by EQing.

Don't think fast and furious is Etymotic's motto :grin:. It will come when it comes, so to speak. But you can still get 3rd party cable for the time being. I have been using my own balanced cable with ER4SR for awhile now, so are a few others.

First

Back
877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886
888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897
Next

Last