If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #11,596 of 19,251
Have you looked at the Fiio btr1 or radsone earstudio?

I asked a similar question a while ago and ended up going with the radsone EarStudio and I’m going to make a shortened cable for it. It’s a fantastic option with great sound quality and battery life.

This is basically what I’m going after (except with etys): https://m.imgur.com/KhDRG9M

I actually just received a couple of those EarStudios yesterday. I haven't had a ton of time to play yet, but they seem like cool little devices.

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #11,597 of 19,251
This isn't an announcement, or even a hint of one, but I expect that it is something that is likely at some point.

Sweet! One small tip I might offer: considering you use an MMCX connector, if you made a quality product that was also compatible with Shure and Westone IEMs, you could have a bit hit. The Shure and Westone equivalent products appear to be mediocre, at least based on reviews. Granted, your product wouldn't need to be ultra high-quality, but a step above the competition.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #11,600 of 19,251
This might be of interest to some of you:

My wannabe "P2XR" adapter:
10071115.png

Please excuse the amateurish soldering job. I was trying to smoosh everything to make it as compact as possible. Some insulators and a small enclosure will follow.

The resulting frequency response:

ER4PT with P2XR adapter (already soldered, right channel).png

Gray is ER4PT without the adapter and ER38-15SM tips. Red is the response with the adapter at the same volume settings.​

The resulting DC resistance is similar to a real ER4XR. The impedance at higher frequencies will be lower though. Sensitivity is a little lower than a real ER4XR. I'd love to compare them side by side to see if I'm even close.

I first posted about it almost three weeks ago, before I moved it off the breadboard. More details can be found in this thread, which is a discussion about modding techniques in general; the ER4PT just happened to be the test subject in the particular post:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #11,601 of 19,251
Does anyone have any experience with the other manufacturers for custom sleeves? Snugs seems to be the priciest option. How does ACS and Sensaphonics compare? Do any other companies make custom sleeves other than these 3?

Custom Art in europe do custom tips. Might be worth firing them an email to see if they could help?

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #11,603 of 19,251
I actually just received a couple of those EarStudios yesterday. I haven't had a ton of time to play yet, but they seem like cool little devices.

I will fight bluetooth headphone connections till my death! :wink: haha

kidding. but i don't like charging another device or losing quality at all. remove those two factors and maybe.... :wink:

I'm finally trying out bluetooth w/ an Earstudio receiver as well. IMO seems like it's still a no-go w/ lossy files and streaming, but I think if they ever get a properly lossess BT codec it will be viable (ignoring connection stability issues etc...). Device sound doesnt' seem particularly special, but I do like fine grained volume control buttons without having to root a phone, and also programmable system level EQ & DSP function (supposedly it will even remember settings when used over USB and non-android BT devices).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #11,604 of 19,251
I'm finally trying out bluetooth w/ an Earstudio receiver as well. IMO seems like it's still a no-go w/ lossy files and streaming, but I think if they ever get a properly lossess BT codec it will be viable (ignoring connection stability issues etc...). Device sound doesnt' seem particularly special, but I do like fine grained volume control buttons without having to root a phone, and also programmable system level EQ & DSP function (supposedly it will even remember settings when used over USB and non-android BT devices).

I've just spent considerable time and money looking in to the whole bluetooth phenomenon and have come to the conclusion that bluetooth is doomed and will hit the buffers very soon if it has not already.

The bottom line is that bluetooth can't handle the data load that the covert agenda behind the "internet of things" will require. Yes, it's damn near good enough to hande a single task of transfering audio data, but a single task technology like that has no place in the plans of the big boys. Apple have completely ignored aptX in all their devices. I think that should be all I need to say, for now.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #11,605 of 19,251
I've just spent considerable time and money looking in to the whole bluetooth phenomenon and have come to the conclusion that bluetooth is doomed and will hit the buffers very soon if it has not already.

OMG, please be right, please be right, please be right, please be right, please be right, please be right, please be right, please be right! I case it's not obvious, I ****ing hate Bluetooth!

The bottom line is that bluetooth can't handle the data load that the covert agenda behind the "internet of things" will require. Yes, it's damn near good enough to hande a single task of transfering audio data, but a single task technology like that has no place in the plans of the big boys. Apple have completely ignored aptX in all their devices. I think that should be all I need to say, for now.

Well, Apple are cheapskates and don't want to pay the requisite aptX licensing fees in their most prolific product (iPhone). I wouldn't necessarily take what Apple does as proof of anything other than where their own profits are leading them. They decided to shoe-horn all their users into AAC-codec Bluetooth or proprietary, toll-booth-like digital ports. And of course they did their market research first, knowing most of us would have no choice but to follow like the little sheep that we all are (myself included - I still own an iPad and a MacBook; it's not easy to escape their evil clutches!).

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #11,606 of 19,251
I'm also not a fan of BT, mostly because of how much it has sucked for years. but since the LE thing, it seems to me like we've made some massive progress in all relevant variables. energy consumption, range, bandwidth. and the latest stuff comes at a level where lossless isn't just a dream anymore. it took way too many years, but we've come to a point where it's actually usable ^_^.
my personal issue with BT is more about what I see as a logical flaw. we expect the BT gear to be small lightweight and practical. at the very least more than using our usual gears, otherwise why bother having to charge yet another device? no thx. that leads to trying to make a DAC+amp+battery fit inside crazy small spaces, and so far I haven't been amazed by the direct consequences of that mindset.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #11,607 of 19,251
I like a lot the sound of the ER4XR but i can'r stand the cable.
Also i'd like to try them balanced.
Any one have found balanced cable for the Ety's ?

Could you give me the ones you have tried and your ilpressions ?
Thx

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #11,608 of 19,251
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #11,609 of 19,251
waiting for my er4sr cable replacement from Amazon , faced the same issue @Voyageur had. Probably one of the few unlucky ones. Thought of replacing it with my existing warranty, but too much of a hassle. ( i heard that my distributor has a bad reputation when it comes to warranty (taking their own sweet time).

p.s. need to get @ClieOS custom cable when he starts his next batch! :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #11,610 of 19,251
let me stress that i am "considering" selling my er4xr... :-o

I'm sure I'll regret it. but I'm on the search for a full size alternative for couch listening (not that I can't use the er4). but I'm diggin the akg q701 spacial imaging, however the er4 just win in frequency response accuracy (when do they not?) :p

so I'm leaning back to getting an hd600 to compliment my er4s/sr/b/3sr. haha i own way too many etymotic earphones. :p

but i find I've listened to the xr the least for a while now. it's amazing, but the mid bass takes away ever so slightly from the transparency. i find i use them mostly when I'm in certain moods where the others sound "thin." this is rare, but every now and then my brain gets that way. then it comes back around and the sr goes in. :p

i may not though. I'm talking mysef out of it as i write this. ha. but then i remember i will be getting an hd600 to compliment the other four etys i have. then i start to feel bad that some people in the world are hungry while i own five etymotics earphones . we truly live in an odd world. :-/

but i digress and I'm blabbing now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back