If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 21, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #11,626 of 19,249
if you want something really cool to try, add orange filters to the er4b...

rin talkes about them making the er4b sound like the er4s with better extension.
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html

I'm still getting used to it, but it definitely sounds like the er4s with more upper treble. So far I don't hear anything objectionable at all, there is just a bit more presence way up high that makes percussion and things sound less "glossed over" and more dry and airy. Whether I'll find that ideal or not in the long run i'm not sure, but for now it sounds about 90% er4 and 10% er4b mix.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #11,628 of 19,249
if you want something really cool to try, add orange filters to the er4b...

rin talkes about them making the er4b sound like the er4s with better extension.
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html.
Thanks, I had considered that option. Discovered Rin Choi's blog a few years ago and had it bookmarked. It's what got me curious about filters/resistance with the new models.

However, Etymotic Direct UK only have the ER4PT/S/SR/XR and grey/white/green/red filters for sale. So I decided to look at the new models and cannot make up my mind.

Came across an interesting review on Sound On Sound... https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/etymotic-research-er4sr

... but still indecisive (my main worry is the bass response).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #11,629 of 19,249
Thanks, I had considered that option. Discovered Rin Choi's blog a few years ago and had it bookmarked. It's what got me curious about filters/resistance with the new models.

However, Etymotic Direct UK only have the ER4PT/S/SR/XR and grey/white/green/red filters for sale. So I decided to look at the new models and cannot make up my mind.

Came across an interesting review on Sound On Sound... https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/etymotic-research-er4sr

... but still indecisive (my main worry is the bass response).

i would buy the sr over a bwoth orange filters in personally. i can go into more details later but the sr is by far my favorite as a whole. the xr is great too. the b is excellent but i would say after a decent listening session last night the response is not exactly an “er4s with more extension”. at least to me it sounds very much like that, but also a little less neutral in the mid/upper treble. sort of like the entire treble tilt is still up a bit. it does extend further. things are more crisp and airy, which sounds awesome in it’s own right, but the overall treble is also a bit lighter, so the weight and smoothness of the mids is lost a bit.

switching to the sr brings body and substance to everything a bit more while still having superb treble. in fact cymbals and things sound properly “metallic” on the sr and a bit more raspy and dry on the b with filters...

so like all of them, it is a slightly different flavor and probably no more different from the sr than the xr is. only with treble instead of bass. i’ll be using them more and can see how that develops, but for now sr/xr are the kings. and they are both readily available and have all the moden touches (removable cable, etc.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #11,630 of 19,249
Can anyone share an opinion RE: Would any of the new ER3 & ER4 models be suited to those of us who particularly appreciate the ER4P of its own merits and not as the half-inflated spare tire of the Ety lineup? :no_mouth:

Feb 27, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #11,633 of 19,249
-1502ddfc45e608c.png yeahhh moondrop crescent
micro dd
dash - raw
solid - harman target compensated

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #11,634 of 19,249
I just got the er4xr after spending a great week with the hf2. I was impressed enough to upgrade to the er4xr after trying both the SR and XR side by side at the store.
I just opened up the package, and I am not usually sensitive to smells, but the pouch and everything inside kind of smells like puke.
I heard stories of Sennheiser products smelling like that but never experienced it before.

I also found the wire to be way too long. What do you guys do when riding the train, I am really afraid it's going to get caught on someone's bag or something.
Finally, is it possible to turn the XR into an exact copy of the SR via EQ and vice versa?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #11,635 of 19,249
I just got the er4xr after spending a great week with the hf2. I was impressed enough to upgrade to the er4xr after trying both the SR and XR side by side at the store.
I just opened up the package, and I am not usually sensitive to smells, but the pouch and everything inside kind of smells like puke.
I heard stories of Sennheiser products smelling like that but never experienced it before.

I also found the wire to be way too long. What do you guys do when riding the train, I am really afraid it's going to get caught on someone's bag or something.
Finally, is it possible to turn the XR into an exact copy of the SR via EQ and vice versa?
The smell didn't bother me quite frankly.
The cable is a bit too long when I was riding bike. But the length is actually good for me to plug into my amp for better listening at home.
There isn't a way to turn xr into sr via eq. It can match the frequency response but they will still sound different in terms of texture and vividness. They can sound close tho.
If you just want some more highs, I recommend to get a PtoS adapter for xr. That brings the highs much closer to that of sr, and that is one of my most enjoyable combination.

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #11,636 of 19,249

Same smell here, i thought mine is the only one :k701smile:

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #11,637 of 19,249
The smell didn't bother me quite frankly.
The cable is a bit too long when I was riding bike. But the length is actually good for me to plug into my amp for better listening at home.
There isn't a way to turn xr into sr via eq. It can match the frequency response but they will still sound different in terms of texture and vividness. They can sound close tho.
If you just want some more highs, I recommend to get a PtoS adapter for xr. That brings the highs much closer to that of sr, and that is one of my most enjoyable combination.

Ah, I might have to braid part of the cable then. It doesn't look long enough to be able to braid the whole thing below the Y though, which means it's not going to look great.
It's a problem here because of how packed the trains get (Japan). I have had much shorter cables ripped out of my ears getting caught on a bag like that.

I really did enjoy the sound of the xr better with my songs, so I guess I made the right choice. I just don't want to keep thinking "What if I had gone with ...". I might try the adapter if I get tired of the sound in a few months. Do you recommend the official converter, or is an ebay knock-off good enough?

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #11,639 of 19,249
Ah, I might have to braid part of the cable then. It doesn't look long enough to be able to braid the whole thing below the Y though, which means it's not going to look great.
It's a problem here because of how packed the trains get (Japan). I have had much shorter cables ripped out of my ears getting caught on a bag like that.

I really did enjoy the sound of the xr better with my songs, so I guess I made the right choice. I just don't want to keep thinking "What if I had gone with ...". I might try the adapter if I get tired of the sound in a few months. Do you recommend the official converter, or is an ebay knock-off good enough?
Have you tried to route the cable under your clothes like your jacket etc? That worked for me when I was in Beijing.
Converter wise, sound won't be so different if they are 50ohm+ but the diy ones may have poor connection over time. My ptos cable has lasted over 1.5 years now. Still doing strong. My other converters all have connection issue now.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #11,640 of 19,249
Have you tried to route the cable under your clothes like your jacket etc? That worked for me when I was in Beijing.
Converter wise, sound won't be so different if they are 50ohm+ but the diy ones may have poor connection over time. My ptos cable has lasted over 1.5 years now. Still doing strong. My other converters all have connection issue now.

I would do that but I have a satchel type bag and the crushing/rubbing of having the bag strap over it drives me crazy.
Might as well do that though, and put my music player in my breast pocket.
I'll need some kind of cable winder to stop tangles though, it might even speed up clean up if I can get something compact and a matching hard-case.

Been listening for the last hour, it's so great!
More detailed than the h2 was.
The new smooth tips are much more comfortable than the gray ones, my ears feel much less pressure from trapped air too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back