If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #11,581 of 19,249
How are these with spin fit ear tips?
With small size.
Shallow insertion, sounds like crap.
Deep insertion, the first minutes it sounds quite good but after that it's not natural and not easy tk listen to. The actual sound is a little bit bassy and has pretty good presentation of the music.
Also the wearing is weird af. Spinfit is very flexible so deep insertion is very unnatural and even feels disgusting some times.
Won't recommend these or any other silicone tips for er4 other than the full sized 3 flanges (white grey and clear).

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #11,582 of 19,249
Anybody using custom eartips with the ER4SR/XR? Was hoping the Snugs guy will be at CanJam Singapore in March offering discount there. Otherwise I could go to Jomo, AAW or Nocturnal here in Singapore
as they all offering customized eartips significantly cheaper than Snugs.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #11,583 of 19,249
With small size.
Shallow insertion, sounds like ****.
Deep insertion, the first minutes it sounds quite good but after that it's not natural and not easy tk listen to. The actual sound is a little bit bassy and has pretty good presentation of the music.
Also the wearing is weird af. Spinfit is very flexible so deep insertion is very unnatural and even feels disgusting some times.
Won't recommend these or any other silicone tips for er4 other than the full sized 3 flanges (white grey and clear).

I see. Was hoping for an alternative to using the 3 flange so I don’t have to insert as deep

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #11,585 of 19,249
Anybody using custom eartips with the ER4SR/XR? Was hoping the Snugs guy will be at CanJam Singapore in March offering discount there. Otherwise I could go to Jomo, AAW or Nocturnal here in Singapore
as they all offering customized eartips significantly cheaper than Snugs.

I have a pair of Snug for ER4S, and of course they also fit the SR/XR just fine.

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #11,586 of 19,249
@luisdent, I'm curious, have you tried the Q701 with Sonarworks' correction? I see that it's on their list of supported headphones, and there's a trial version available. I found that the correction software made my K550 way more ety-like (still not an ety, but sooo much closer), and it seemed to improve my K702 noticeably as well, though I haven't yet spent much time with that combo.

i have and had mixed results. i find accudio works a bit better at flattening headphones, but that isn't available anymore. i tested sonarworks with my akg q701, sony 7506, etc., which are all "relatively neutral" sounding. it makes the Sony far too muffled, and i disable the old age and bass boost adjustments. the q701 isn't as muffled, but the mid range sounds a bit off.

i have an eq i made for the q701 that i think sounds a bit more accurate. but all this eq'ing is making me want the hd 600 again. those only needed the slightest mid bass eq to sound nearly perfect. they were like ety full sized phones with a bit more warmth...

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #11,587 of 19,249
Does anyone have any experience with the other manufacturers for custom sleeves? Snugs seems to be the priciest option. How does ACS and Sensaphonics compare? Do any other companies make custom sleeves other than these 3?

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #11,588 of 19,249
I thought ACS didn't do them any more? But I do in fact have some older ACS sleeves, and they're good although I wish the sound channel from the tip of the Ety to the tip of the sleeve were shorter. I also have Westone tips (actually 3 versions, different materials/finishes) and they're good also, but have the same issue with length that seems longer than necessary.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #11,589 of 19,249
EtyDave, are there any plans for making a bluetooth cable?

Last year a bought a Klipsch X12 Neckband (refurbished for a great price), and though the X12 sounds surprising good (and is a single-BA IEM, like the ER4 family), I still wish there was something like this available for the ER4SR/XR.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #11,590 of 19,249
How are these with spin fit ear tips?

It had been a while since I last used the SpinFits with the ER4XR so I quickly tried them with two different SpinFit models. I normally prefer the CP240 with my other IEMs, but found I preferred the CP100 with the ER4XR. The CP240 oddly lacked bass, while the CP100 sounded more balanced. Obviously everyone's ears are different so YMMV.

In the past I happily used the CP100 for a while with the ER4XR, though I switched back to the stock triple-flange for extra isolation.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #11,591 of 19,249

Last year a bought a Klipsch X12 Neckband (refurbished for a great price), and though the X12 sounds surprising good (and is a single-BA IEM, like the ER4 family), I still wish there was something like this available for the ER4SR/XR.

Have you looked at the Fiio btr1 or radsone earstudio?

I asked a similar question a while ago and ended up going with the radsone EarStudio and I’m going to make a shortened cable for it. It’s a fantastic option with great sound quality and battery life.

This is basically what I’m going after (except with etys): https://m.imgur.com/KhDRG9M

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #11,592 of 19,249
Have you looked at the Fiio btr1 or radsone earstudio?

I asked a similar question a while ago and ended up going with the radsone EarStudio and I’m going to make a shortened cable for it. It’s a fantastic option with great sound quality and battery life.

This is basically what I’m going after (except with etys): https://m.imgur.com/KhDRG9M

Thanks for the suggestion; it looks like a cool device. I prefer the neckband approach (or something similar) since it eliminates the long cord, with a device on the end that I end up sticking in my pocket. At that point, I'd just plug directly into my iPhone, which I also keep in my pocket.

But maybe that device is light enough that with a short cord, you can just let it hang down around chest level.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #11,594 of 19,249
Does anyone have any experience with the other manufacturers for custom sleeves? Snugs seems to be the priciest option. How does ACS and Sensaphonics compare? Do any other companies make custom sleeves other than these 3?

i had a bad experience with microsonics. they never felt great and drasticly altered the sound. went through mutliple remolds and tips. never got close to stock sound...

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #11,595 of 19,249

This isn't an announcement, or even a hint of one, but I expect that it is something that is likely at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back