If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #10,757 of 19,249
Any ideas on how to reduce the liklihood of foamies getting stuck in your ear when you take out the earphone?

Had this happen with my ER-4XR. Lukily a pair of tweezer-scissors got the foamie out after 5 or 6 tries. Should I try a smaller foamie tip? Change tips more often? Drop of super glue on the outside of the sound tube? I know it has already been discussed a few times on here, but haven't seen anything xr/sr specific with the aluminum housings. The tip that got stuck was about a month old and probably had been in & out 3 or 4 dozen times and played for 2 or 3 hundred hours.

It happened about 4 years ago with my ER-4P too, I freaked out and went to the hospital after failing with regular tweezers. That was an expensive mistake that I won't make again, haha.

You can try to lubricate the foamies with a tiny amount of ear oil.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #10,758 of 19,249
Hey guys, I bought a used pair of ER4-P, they are fairly old, serials are in the 60 thousand range and date on leaflet is 2003. They are in excellent condition however and appear to have had very little use. I am wondering if they sound exactly the same as those they make and sell now or if there as been improvements since then with regards to SQ. Reading up a bit lets me believe it should be the former but I thought I'd ask you connoisseurs just in case I am wrong about that.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #10,760 of 19,249
I am looking for a balanced 2.5mm cable to connect my E4SR to FiiO X7ii. Any recommendations?

You can either convert the stock cable to balanced if you know how to solder or ask a DIYer / cable maker to build you one. Last I checked, no readily available / mass produced balanced cable is in the market yet.

Below is my most recent stock-converted balanced cable (pairing with an X7mk2 as well :grin:) - an 2nd attempt. I built the first with a different plug/connector for someone else a few weeks ago. If you need some info on how to build one yourself, check back my posts on last few pages and you will find some detail as well as pictures.

DSC_0103_resize.JPG
DSC_0104_resize.JPG

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #10,761 of 19,249
@ClieOS: Your description of the Kevlar sheathing and support in the terminal end of the cable (to say nothing about the microscopic soldering required) is leading me toward the "find someone with exceptional DIY skills" option or the "continue to wait (patiently!) for Etymotic to offer a balanced cable" option. Feel free to PM me if you might be might be such a DIY'er :wink:

Cheers... Brian

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #10,762 of 19,249
@ClieOS: Your description of the Kevlar sheathing and support in the terminal end of the cable (to say nothing about the microscopic soldering required) is leading me toward the "find someone with exceptional DIY skills" option or the "continue to wait (patiently!) for Etymotic to offer a balanced cable" option. Feel free to PM me if you might be might be such a DIY'er :wink:

Cheers... Brian
I learned from the best
zToPL491DHbbLL8CfqFduCKs2OftIpdzQdLWgnkVtNU.jpg

what's wrong Mr T, jealous?
21187-101796-facepalm6jpg-468x.jpg

if you need tips on how to throw away 4 out of 5 plugs you solder, and still be ashamed of the 5th one, I can teach you.

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #10,763 of 19,249
I learned from the best
zToPL491DHbbLL8CfqFduCKs2OftIpdzQdLWgnkVtNU.jpg

what's wrong Mr T, jealous?
21187-101796-facepalm6jpg-468x.jpg

if you need tips on how to throw away 4 out of 5 plugs you solder, and still be ashamed of the 5th one, I can teach you.

The scary bit of those pictures are that they are all holding the soldering iron on the heating element - a very quick way to burn off their fingers :smile:

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #10,764 of 19,249
but they don't flinch, that's how pro they are.
2E67EB2A00000578-0-image-a-72_1447416629485.jpg

(should I report myself for trolling?)

Jul 31, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #10,766 of 19,249
I recently got the ER88-50 filters recently and they were green instead of red. Did this happen to anyone else or did they change the color recently?
tell Ety that they sent you the wrong filters, get the proper filters by mail in a few days, enjoy the extra green replacements you will probably never use. ^_^

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #10,768 of 19,249
Hehe, the cable itself actually costs less than the stock ER4 cable ($50, I believe), so by price along it should have been a downgrade :laughing:

The original reason for me to build these cable are two folds: (1) I need a cable with better ergonomics and, (2) for those of us who live far away from the U.S., the cost of sending the ER4 back to Etymotic for after-warranty cable replacement and has it shipped back can easily go over $100. So in sum, it is more practical to find a solution myself, given that I do enjoy a bit of DIYing. After that it just becomes somewhat of an obsession to try to refine the design.

------------

On a side note, I just saw these poping up on Taobao: the connector for the new SR/XR series. Already ordered a few to check them out. Will post more picture when I received them.

Perfect, looks like another project on the cards..

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #10,769 of 19,249
Hehe, the cable itself actually costs less than the stock ER4 cable ($50, I believe), so by price along it should have been a downgrade :laughing:

The original reason for me to build these cable are two folds: (1) I need a cable with better ergonomics and, (2) for those of us who live far away from the U.S., the cost of sending the ER4 back to Etymotic for after-warranty cable replacement and has it shipped back can easily go over $100. So in sum, it is more practical to find a solution myself, given that I do enjoy a bit of DIYing. After that it just becomes somewhat of an obsession to try to refine the design.

------------

On a side note, I just saw these poping up on Taobao: the connector for the new SR/XR series. Already ordered a few to check them out. Will post more picture when I received them.

Can you post us a link, can only find the plastic ones.

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #10,770 of 19,249
Can you post us a link, can only find the plastic ones.

Not sure what you mean, but these new connectors' housing are still plastic. Also, they are not actually in stock yet. I have been waitng for 2 weeks now and the seller still doesn't have a firm shipping date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back