If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 7, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #10,787 of 19,251
Aug 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #10,788 of 19,251
How they sound without the resister that comes on the stock cable? The older adapters for the ER4S/P had resistors built in.
Cannot comment on that never owned a pair, all I can say is that I've had a shed load of iems over the years from £100 up to £2000 and these hold up extremely well and sound great coupled with the Sony WM1Z/1A players.

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #10,789 of 19,251
Cannot comment on that never owned a pair, all I can say is that I've had a shed load of iems over the years from £100 up to £2000 and these hold up extremely well and sound great coupled with the Sony WM1Z/1A players.

My last question is, do you have any resistor in the line or is it just cable and IEM with nothing in between? Also do they sound more sensitive than other IEM's or are they pretty good in terms of efficiency?

My ER4P's have a 90 degree adapter on them with a 80 ohm resister I think and they don't get anywhere near as loud but can still get loud enough for my tastes just takes more clicks of volume vs other headphones/IEM's.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I agree with you on Ety IEM's. The ER4P have been the ultimate IEM to me over the years. Every time I put them back in my ear they amaze me even though I've spent (much like yourself) into the thousands of dollars for in ears.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #10,791 of 19,251
Straight cable no resistors the SR an XR were designed and tuned to be like that you get a set of results from the technician who tuned them and the results on driver matching are excellent.

Sweet. Thanks a ton for the replies. I'll try and get my hands on a 90 connector so I can make one. Depending on which cables fit it right off the bat I may just leave it straight for the time being until later.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #10,792 of 19,251
Got these on way to test out on a new silver I'm making 135-Degree-MMCX-font-b-Earphone-b-font-DIY-Custom-Pin-For-font-b-Etymotic-b.jpg
Tried straight stick out too much even though I'm using snugs, bought this as well to re terminate to 4.4mm balanced for the Sony Screenshot_20170808-010127.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #10,794 of 19,251
Got these on way to test out on a new silver I'm making
Tried straight stick out too much even though I'm using snugs, bought this as well to re terminate to 4.4mm balanced for the Sony

Probably to late to warn you but if you take a closer look, that Lunashop's connector doesn't have a notch to stop the ER4SR/XR from spinning (besides the fact that it is sticking out way too much IMO). It would have been no difference from other bend MMCX connector. In contrast, the one I posted before does have a notch that will stop the ER4SR/XR driver from spinning around.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #10,795 of 19,251
Yeah thought of that, this is more of a see what I can mod rather than a solder and see thing, the spinning isn't an issue for me as the snugs fit tight on the barrel and sits deep so the wire rests on my ear bottom and the bend won't be far off because they sit deep I found a 90 degree angle went in too far so the cable didn't drop straight so I need it to come further out. If I do feel it needs to have more of an angle i have a ptfe heat flexer which i use on cables at work to put bends on coax cables when installiing them, so I can jig up the connector and slightly re mold the plastic and also add a notch if I want to. It does help when you have a lab full of toys at your disposal. What I really want is a eidolic type of connector with a bend in, trouble is being in the UK we are limited with suppliers of decent connectors that are in abundance in the States and Asia.

Aug 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #10,796 of 19,251
Help Etymotic Man!

I love the Etymotic ER4SRs. I ordered the Capri cable, with MMCX connectors but I can't get it to stay on the ear pod of the ER4SR. The ER4SR is keyed, and seems to have a little plastic collar around it with the female side of the key. So, I cannot get the Capri cable to work with my Etymotics. It's totally harshing my mellow. ;-(

Thread is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aaw...audio-cable-with-type-c-variant.828414/page-8

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #10,797 of 19,251
Help Etymotic Man!

I love the Etymotic ER4SRs. I ordered the Capri cable, with MMCX connectors but I can't get it to stay on the ear pod of the ER4SR. The ER4SR is keyed, and seems to have a little plastic collar around it with the female side of the key. So, I cannot get the Capri cable to work with my Etymotics. It's totally harassing my mellow. ;-(

Thread is here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aaw...audio-cable-with-type-c-variant.828414/page-8

I see the mmcx connector is flush and not pertruding like some you can get so the actual connector shell is coming into contact with the edge of the barrel before the mmcx pin and ring have clicked into place fully, so either trim a bit off the plastic shell edge so the connector sticks out more or trim off the plastic collar off the iem barrel (drastic i know and probably not really a good option) or re terminate with alternate mmcx connectors. The right angled ones fit ok and there are some new ones that are replicas of the stock ones ( no realease date yet from what ClieOS has said)

Etymotic-ER4SR-ER4XR-5.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitledhhh.jpg

Untitlednjkm.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #10,798 of 19,251
Thanks. Ugh, I guess I'm selling the Capri cable. I'm not taking a knife to the ear pods and re-terminating is also a pain. The keyed cable from Etymotic seems like a better design than the standard ones that probably just spin.

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #10,799 of 19,251
Here is a close-up on on how the right angle MMCX connector will fit into the ER4SR earpiece. You can see in the picture that, If you build it right, the (not climped) metal sleeve should loosely 'lock' into the notch and stop the earpiece from spinning. If you want to climp the metal sleeve, then you will also want to add some heat shrink so that it will have enough thickness to 'lock' into the notch.

DSC_0104.JPG

Aug 10, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #10,800 of 19,251
Ok, I was in need of new IEMs. Run a shootout of my shortlist today (took me 6 hours and 3 stores to visit).

After listening to an ATH-E70, an Oriveti New Primacy, a Shure SE535, an Acoustune HS1501AL and a DUNU DN-2002 I walked home with an Etymotic ER4XR.
Got a great deal on these so it finally became a no-brainer... Happy camper here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back