AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #106 of 212
This maybe a dumb question, but I figure I ask rather than trouble shoot it myself and figure it out the long way. They don't say talk is cheap for nothing.
Anyway I normally don't use mics on headphones so I don't know if I'm suppose to hear myself on my headphones through the mic. And the mic is mono channel so does the amp that feed the mic audio back to the headphones just duplicating it? And furthermore most mics on headphone cables are single ended termination so the ground is pretty obvious to figure out. But what about when the headphone is balanced which ground do you use and do you send the audio back out to the headphones and do you have to worry about echo cancellation. I know intercom systems and cellular handset that supported speaker phone option ran into these types of issues. These may be ancient digital artifacts, but could may well be relevant to the future if people forget things.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #109 of 212
Help!

I just received the 2 pin MMCX cable and tried attaching one of my Etymotic ER4SR earpods but the ear pod will not stay on! The cable from from Etymotic is actually keyed so it mates with the earpod in one way. The Capri is not keyed.

I've tried a lot of force but the ear pod pops right off of the Capri cable. :frowning2:

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #110 of 212
I received my AAW Capri MMCX Cable yesterday from USPS. It was devlivered in a standard shipping box barely larger than the product box inside. Initial impression of packaging was consistent with that which would be found hanging on display at an electronics store. After breaking the security seal, the cable was found in a very basic and somewhat cheap stock bin tray which apparently also used for earphones. A fold-out card containing very basic information and a packet of silica gel was also found inside the box.

D28F6A6B-9555-4BFD-B0F9-31F53A3CC504.jpeg

7211F139-3359-403E-9FFB-99343FB66F22.jpeg

The cable appeared reasonably well made. The sleeve has a material-like textured cover from the remote to the Lightning plug. Closer inspection disproved the initial impression that the Capri was thinner than the Shure LTG. The Capri has a mostly matte finish—which I personally prefer—compared to the Shure’s glossy and cheaper looking finish. AAW at top of photo below.
CA35AF36-F88D-419B-9E7A-C6D1E267D453.jpeg

I personally like the look and feel of AAWs remote to the Shure’s

C0BDEE72-E933-42A4-B762-DD4954873D68.jpeg

This is how the AAW Capri looks connected to my iPhone with a pair of Westone Adventure Series Beta earphones. The cable is slightly shorter than the Shure LTG.

4F81AD6E-857F-4FE9-AEFA-0ECDD319DF71.jpeg

The Capri MMCX easily connected (and disconnected) to the Shure 846s. I previously downloaded the Capri app on my iPhone 6s Plus and immediately and successfully downloaded a firmware update. Apparently, I did not previously download the app onto my iPad Pro and could not find it at the Apple App Store. I am aware that several other posters have not been able to locate the software either. In addition, the cable triggered a message that the device was not supported by the iPad. It nevertheless worked.

I tested the Capri with my Shure 846s. The very first thing I noticed was that it did not play as loud as the Shure LTG Cable. I had to turn the volume up to 75% as is the case with the 846s standard cable. The Shure LTG requires no more than 40% volume. I listened to my standard electic mix of EDM, Adult, and Alternative through Tidal Hi Res and iTunes. There was good separation, directionality, and solid bass. Subjectively the mid and upper ranges seemed somewhat subdued. I did not hear hiss. I have not yet had the opportunity to test the phone feature. Although I enjoy the sound of the Shure LTGs better than the AAW Capri, the performance of the Capri is pleasant upgrade to the standard cable. If the AAW shipped in March 2017 as expected I would not have likely purchased the Shure LTG as the Capri provides pleasing results. Of course, this is both subjective and relative. My impressions would surely be altered if I listened to FLAC tracks on a high end player using a top of the line DAC. Overall, I think AAW did a commendable job developing the Capri and selling it for nearly half the price of the Shure LTG.

Attachments

• 860AE85F-497C-4BD3-8E48-5D3133B82DCA.jpeg
    860AE85F-497C-4BD3-8E48-5D3133B82DCA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 29DE6F5A-D0C7-4947-8A1E-131622A398C0.jpeg
    29DE6F5A-D0C7-4947-8A1E-131622A398C0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #111 of 212
Help!

I just received the 2 pin MMCX cable and tried attaching one of my Etymotic ER4SR earpods but the ear pod will not stay on! The cable from from Etymotic is actually keyed so it mates with the earpod in one way. The Capri is not keyed.

I've tried a lot of force but the ear pod pops right off of the Capri cable. :frowning2:

Any ideas?

LarryNYC. Your earphone looks like it will have to be modified by Null Audio.The following was copied from https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/capri-audiophile-digital-earphone-with-hi-res-dac--2#/

5. Do you have a list on supported models for modification?
A. Please refer to the list below (non-exhaustive):

• Ultimate Ears TF 10
  • Ultimate Ears CIEM
  • Sennheiser IE8/80
  • FitEar Custom Fit IEM
  • Etymotic ER4P/B/S
  • Audio Technica IM series, CK100Pro, E40/50/70 (A2DC connector)
  • Sony XBA A/Z series
  • If unsure, contact us.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #112 of 212
Thanks, well, I missed that. I'm not sending away my earpods, I need them, and who knows how long before I'll get them back.

I guess I'll sell the Capri cable. Oh, well, what a bummer.

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #113 of 212
Thanks, well, I missed that. I'm not sending away my earpods, I need them, and who knows how long before I'll get them back.

I guess I'll sell the Capri cable. Oh, well, what a bummer.

Hope that there will be more Lightning and USB-C options in the near future. I would have also assumed all MMCX cables would be compatible/interchangeable. Go figure!

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #114 of 212
my replacement Capri shipped on July 28 and was received August 16. Here are my thoughts about the replacement:
TL;DR the hiss is quieter, but still there
I use JH16 IEMs with my Capri. The hiss, while still audible, is moderately better now. However, the hiss is still quite noticeable when you pause/stop in a quiet environment. After about 7 seconds when the DAC turns off, you can hear a small pop and the hiss stops. My Fiio i1 also has a small pop when the DAC turns off, but there's silence before and after. I wonder if users with less sensitive IEMs can hear the pop and/or hiss during the "silent" gap between stopping play and the DAC turning off?
Bummer that this defect continues to plague users with sensitive IEMs. I will use the Capri for my ride on public transport each workday because the single cable solution is more convenient. When at home, the Fiio i1 is the easy choice due to better sound quality and lack of hiss.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #115 of 212
Hi guys, if I already have Iphone 5s, do I need Capri for use with high-end ciem? is it better than phone's se output. Thanks

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #117 of 212
No, you do not NEED the Capri Lightning cable. Music will sound fine through the headphone jack. However, you can only listen to HiRes music through the lightning connector. The Capri combines DAC, iPhone controls, and mic into one cable. If you use an external DAC you can still connect via headphone jack but to take full benefit of HiRes you will still need to connect the DAC to the iPhone using a lightning cable
I need to know if it sounds better, sounding fine here means not better? plus i dont need an external dac at this point, just need to make my iphone more useful
Only Hires music, you mean I can't use the other music app on the phone?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #119 of 212
Gearofwar, the only way of making music played on your iPhone sound better (relative to your IEM) is through a DAC. As I reported earlier in this thread, on my setup (Shure 846 and iPhone 6S Plus) the Capri provided better performance than the original 846 cable but not as good as the Shure MMCX DAC Lightning cable. Assuming you are generally satisfied with the sound of the iPhone and your IEM, the only options to increase performance are:

Use the $10USA Apple (and only Apples) 3.5 to Lightning adapter with your current IEM and cable. THIS IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE OPTION AND you should hear an immediate increase in sound quality. All Apple and Apple MFI certified Lightning cables include a rudimentary DAC. By nature, this increases performance even with non Hi Res tracks. The ONLY way to access Hi Res music on the iPhone is through the Lightning connector

OR, Purchase a upgraded cable 3.5 mm with the Apple Lightning Adapter. Your music will sound even better.

OR, Purchase the Capri with DAC and Lightning Connector. You should hear a notable upgrade in sound.

Perhaps gearofwar if you tell us which IEM you have there may be some members of the community that can advise you on other options
I'm not satisfied with iphone that's why I was looking for an upgrade and capri cable just ticks all the boxes giving more portability also bypassed that built-in dac to give possibly better SQ, thats why i was asking for comparison. I'm not sure if you are giving me the correct answer here for all other options I don't bother with common apple products , its not guaranteed of sound more like getting the job done here. I only use my iphone as convenient backup because i don't really want to carry my dap around with thick 4.4 balance cable. Why do I need to use Highres tracks? I only need a better dac in more reasonable form factor here, so is it better than iphone5s' se?
Btw, Anyone here knows, an external dac will most likely be an upgrade to the phone....anyone knows...but just depend on the dac

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back