If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #10,621 of 19,249
Can I make a special request for one ER4-XR , which is left-right frequency matched beyond the original specifications? I find that I am quite sensitive to low frequency imbalance, and would like drivers which are matched to below the 100hz they have now.

We've actually kicked around the offering premium matched ER4s at a higher price point, but I'm admit that I don't have a good feel for what the demand would be.

It would basically involved a separate, first pass match with more stringent criteria. Only a small handful would pass that, so we would set those aside and then do a second pass with our already tight matching specs.

May 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #10,622 of 19,249
We've actually kicked around the offering premium matched ER4s at a higher price point, but I'm admit that I don't have a good feel for what the demand would be.

It would basically involved a separate, first pass match with more stringent criteria. Only a small handful would pass that, so we would set those aside and then do a second pass with our already tight matching specs.

I think the way to do that Dave, would be as a service. At the time of ordering include an option for identical driver matching at X dollars . That way you do not have to make a line up to manufacture masses of new product, the demand for which as you say is unknown.

May 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #10,623 of 19,249
@EtyDave If you wouldn't mind offering a quick update, I would love to know where the status of the ER4B is currently. I just received my ER4SR and I'm actually considering returning it for the ER4B instead. For two reasons, really:

1.) I am a professional gamer and I listen to binaural / HRTF / virtual surround sound. A lot of the HRTF options used in competitive games come from the Kemar data set - which, to my understanding, is a diffuse field response (please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, to achieve the most optimal localization, I would imagine the ER4B would be the best fit for me.

2.) My ear canals angle upwards (as most do - although I question if mine do more than others, haha) and as a result the new angle of the ER4SR cable just doesn't work for me. I would imagine the older style angle on the ER4B would be a better fit.

So, before I make a rushed decision with this exchange, would you mind updating me on where the ER4B stands? I know you mentioned many months ago that Etymotic may consider an upgrade if there was enough demand for it. If that didn't pan out though, then do you know if it's possible to alter the ER4SR's response with resistors to achieve a diffuse field response like that of the ER4B? Since the ER4SR has a detachable cable, would a cable with the components inside be able to achieve a diffuse field response (and perhaps even offer the old, more obtuse angle, on the strain relief)? I just don't know where to go from here, and I don't want to make an exchange for the ER4B if something I'm unaware of is right around the corner.

Thank you in advance for any insight, Dave - I really appreciate it!

If you are using them for gaming and you listen primarily to binaural recordings, then the ER4B might indeed be a better fit for you.

I'd like to hera more about the fit issues. As you mentioned, most folks have ear canals that angle upwards a bit. I certainly believe that the new angle isn't working for you, but you are the first person I've encountered with this issue. Is the strain relief actually hitting your the tragus or antitragus of your ear, preventing it from going in further?

It is certainly possible to tool up a different cable design with a greater angle but we don't have any immediate plans to do so; we'd have to see a significant demand in order to make it worth that.

If the ER4B is what you really need (and it sounds like it is) we do still have the old model of those available. That might be your best bet. Even if we do offer a 4B conversion cable for the new series, it would most likely have the new angle.

May 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #10,624 of 19,249
I think the way to do that Dave, would be as a service. At the time of ordering include an option for identical driver matching at X dollars . That way you do not have to make a line up to manufacture masses of new product, the demand for which as you say is unknown.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to do as a one-off service. The only way to get super tight matching is to start with a large number of earpieces and cull out the small number of pairs that actually match up.

May 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #10,626 of 19,249
when a pair for the certificate just so happens to match real well, you would put it aside to serve the rich and powerful of this planet. while as a direct consequence, the 99 percenters would get to the street and take down governments because of the statistical decrease by 0.0000001% in matching for the standard er4 service.
I don't want to be pessimistic but we're all gonna die and it's your fault!

May 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #10,627 of 19,249
Unfortunately, it's very difficult to do as a one-off service. The only way to get super tight matching is to start with a large number of earpieces and cull out the small number of pairs that actually match up.
I suppose it depends on how your manufacturing and testing for matching is set up. If it logs to software then a hit program could let you know during the intial grading process to put a driver aside for the limited production matching. It may take a while to build up a stock of matched drivers but I see it more as logistical than anything else.

Or you could offload the work to the supplier:)

May 8, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #10,628 of 19,249
If you are using them for gaming and you listen primarily to binaural recordings, then the ER4B might indeed be a better fit for you.

I'd like to hera more about the fit issues. As you mentioned, most folks have ear canals that angle upwards a bit. I certainly believe that the new angle isn't working for you, but you are the first person I've encountered with this issue. Is the strain relief actually hitting your the tragus or antitragus of your ear, preventing it from going in further?

It is certainly possible to tool up a different cable design with a greater angle but we don't have any immediate plans to do so; we'd have to see a significant demand in order to make it worth that.

If the ER4B is what you really need (and it sounds like it is) we do still have the old model of those available. That might be your best bet. Even if we do offer a 4B conversion cable for the new series, it would most likely have the new angle.

Thank you for the helpful response! The fit problem is not so much about the tragus or antitragus (although it does cause some discomfort on my antitragus after a while). Instead, it actually has more to do with the bottom of the strain relief pushing into the side of my head (just below the ear). It actually prevents me from angling it upwards enough to slide deeper into my ear canal (I'm just barely short of the angle I'd need). Wearing it cable up solves the problem entirely, but for a lot of silly reasons I can't wear them cable up. My guess is the older angle would be just right for me - it looks like enough of a difference that it'd be perfect.

In regards to the 4B conversion cable for the new series, is that something you guys are already working on? If so, what might an ETA look like for that? I'll probably go for the older model ER4-B, but I'm curious just in case. Thank you again!

May 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #10,629 of 19,249
Thank you for the helpful response! The fit problem is not so much about the tragus or antitragus (although it does cause some discomfort on my antitragus after a while). Instead, it actually has more to do with the bottom of the strain relief pushing into the side of my head (just below the ear). It actually prevents me from angling it upwards enough to slide deeper into my ear canal (I'm just barely short of the angle I'd need).

I have a similar problem with being able to get the new Etys in deep enough for a proper seal with the standard tips. The solution for me has been the long-stem eartips: https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/qsa/er38-15sml.html

May 9, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #10,630 of 19,249
May 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #10,631 of 19,249
How often do people change filters? I keep my ears pretty clean and only a few times in the past with older Etys have I noticed I needed to change them, but I was wondering what was average or recommended.

May 9, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #10,632 of 19,249
How often do people change filters? I keep my ears pretty clean and only a few times in the past with older Etys have I noticed I needed to change them, but I was wondering what was average or recommended.

When they get clogged the sound changes very dramatically. That's when I do it. Other than that, I just leave mine as is.

May 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #10,633 of 19,249
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have some of those as well, but then the problem is that the driver itself is farther away from the eardrum.

If you're having fit problems, find a good audiologist and make an open mouth impression. Send them off to sensaphonics and get custom sleeves. Mine just came in and they're perfect.

May 17, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #10,634 of 19,249
I'm waiting my new gray tips arrive but until that, I gave the smaller 3-Flange eartip (ER38-15SM) a try and honestly I didn't like it because the seal isn't perfect at all as the gray ones. Although, just with a little modification (inserting a small ring comply foam at the end of the nozzle) this thing is my favorite tip now! Same comfort as the gray bi-flange after mod and a better isolation with my small ears. I know that is subjective, but if you're unhappy with comfort probably this method worth a try.

brLDWOX.jpg

ER4B + Knowles orange damper + ClieOS' cable definitely my favorite in-ear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back