If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 30, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #10,606 of 19,251
I don't think anybody is screwing anybody here. I merely think the upgrade is dissuasive unless as you say you have a broken pair.

That said I have a pair of HF5's starting to buzz at high volumes and still am not certain of the benefit of the upgrade on that one.
First World Problems:)
I didn't mean You thought "screwing". I agree.. the deal was only good for broken sets.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #10,608 of 19,251
WOW.. welcome to the forum and our Ety appreciation thread dude. So nice to have you. Think you'll be over your pain soon??
I didn't mean You thought "screwing". I agree.. the deal was only good for broken sets.

***THE DEAL IS NOT EVEN GOOD FOR "BROKEN SETS"***

Unless one is hell-bent on buying direct from Etymotic, it is NOT EVEN WORTH SENDING IN YOUR OLD BROKEN ER4 EARPHONES under the Warranty Exchange Option B.

If you consider:
(1) ordering from a seller that does not charge sales tax in your state
(2) the current regular consumer promotions on offer, such as the $50 discount now (April)
(3) cost to ship the old ER4 earphones back to Etymotic,
(4) Etymotic's charges shipping when you order from their website.
(5) Even broken ER4 earphones have a value, so you can sell them elsewhere to lower your net out-of-pocket.

AGAIN, IT IS NOT EVEN WORTH SENDING IN YOUR BROKEN HEADPHONES UNDER ETYMOTIC'S WARRANTY EXCHANGE PROGRAM!

In the interest of not reposting, I have already provided examples of how a new retail customer can spend less than an existing Etymotic customer sending in their old headphones as a trade :frowning2:

Etymotic is having customer's send in their old ER4 earphones that retail for $299, and giving them almost nothing for them. That is because the fine print says you cannot add regular consumer discounts and get credit for your old earphones. Something for nothing--with Etymotic getting something and existing customer getting essentially nothing.

Etytmotic's WARRANY UPGRADE is not a trade-in program, but just A LOW-VALUE PROMOTION.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #10,609 of 19,251
***THE DEAL IS NOT EVEN GOOD FOR "BROKEN SETS"***

We already heard you the last time (or the time before that, or the time before before that). As you have said, in the interest of not repeating, please stop repeating yourself. If you really need to go on a personal crusade on this, then start your own thread.

Is this something you may be offering for the masses? I'd love to feel I didn't need to route my ER4s cable over my ears!

No plan to do a big group build like last time around as I don't have that much free time anymore. I will probably build a few and put them on the for sale forum. As usual, only asking for the cost of parts and shipping.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #10,610 of 19,251
We already heard you the last time (or the time before that, or the time before before that). As you have said, in the interest of not repeating, please stop repeating yourself. If you really need to go on a personal crusade on this, then start your own thread.
I chimed in again only because after everything I wrote, another Head-Fier wrote the program was good for trading in broken ER4's. The Etymotic Warranty Exchange program is not really even good for that.

As for starting my own thread, I am brand new to the world of DACs and lossless music. Even though I once owned ER4 earphones, I only previously plugged them into my then iPod shuffle, cell phone, computer. Point is I am enjoying reading them at the moment, so no need to start my own--thank you to those who contribute so much!

The only thing I want from Etymotic now is acknowledgment that their warranty program is flawed, as I will not be buying anything from them. Thus I will not be back on this thread, ever, promise.

Live long and prosper!

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #10,611 of 19,251
Can I make a special request for one ER4-XR , which is left-right frequency matched beyond the original specifications? I find that I am quite sensitive to low frequency imbalance, and would like drivers which are matched to below the 100hz they have now.

May 1, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #10,612 of 19,251
I'd be surprised if that was true. if we're talking huge variation, possibly caused by a seal problem in one ear more than by the IEM's imbalance and ultimately changing more than just the low end, then sure. but actually noticing 2 or 3 db imbalance in the low freqs would really surprise me. most people can miss that in the midrange if they're not told about the imbalance beforehand. and we're way more sensitive to imbalance in the midrange where it's used for spacial cues.
did you try other tips, maybe a different one in each ear if you have really different ear size and fail to get a good seal in one?

that said, I see nothing wrong with wishing to get better channel matching when possible ^_^.

May 1, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #10,613 of 19,251
Right now my favorite way to wear the XRs is with medium complys; go ahead and push them all thee way end, but then pull them out a smidge once they expand. I've found that makes the sound silky smooth. Can't wait for my customs to come in though

May 3, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #10,614 of 19,251
I've tried all the silicon flanges and the grey foams which come with the earphones, and I have also used Comply foams...
I find that the bass imbalance for me is not as pronounced when I am using the silicon flanges, maybe because they don't seal as well in my ears, but on the foams I get a very consistent sound and I can definitely notice the bass imbalance, this is across maybe 4 or 5 ER4-P 's over the last few years, as well as 2 pairs of ER4-XR's, all either newly bought or warranty returns from Etymotic... It also happens with other brands I've tried too, such as Sony, Dunu, Bose, etc etc ...
This is the reason why I am going back to full size over-ear headphones, it seems the quality control is better when you aren't making something so small

May 3, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #10,615 of 19,251
oh, you noticed that on several pairs and models. then the underlying cause has even greater chances to be something else than actual imbalance in the IEM.
for example are you confident that it happens on the same side every time? if you put the left IEM in the right ear, what happens?
it could perhaps be imbalance in the device too, but if you don't notice anything with headphones, that's less likely.
it also comfort me in the hypothesis that it has to do with seal and IEM placement somehow. with headphones the pads will tend to offer a more even seal, never completely sealed, never completely lose either. there are still ways to lose a lot of subs but rarely as much as with breaking the seal on a non vented IEMs.

May 4, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #10,616 of 19,251
I swap the drivers around on the ER-4 earphones I owned , I would do them randomly so I would not know which driver is on which side, and I can reliably distinguish between the drivers by which side has more/less bass

May 4, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #10,617 of 19,251
I'm a curious little cat but I admit defeat. maybe swapping the tips does something? or you're really unlucky with the IEMs you bought. out of all the etymotic stuff I measured I think my etykid has about 2dB imbalance at 30hz, the rest has better matching. and without exception all my IEMs have more imbalance in the mid range and trebles. the few IEMs from other brands with horrible matching in the low end are so bad in the rest of the audio range that I can't even get a centered imaging with any mono voice or instrument. so obviously I've never even thought to concern myself with he low freqs.
that's why I'm so intrigued by your problem, but of course my IEMs don't represent all IEMs nor my ears all ears.
if you find out a clear cause(maybe a specific frequency you're sensitive to?) or find someone to measure your problem IEMs(if you're not too far from France I could do it), I'd love to know more about your situation.

May 4, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #10,618 of 19,251
@EtyDave If you wouldn't mind offering a quick update, I would love to know where the status of the ER4B is currently. I just received my ER4SR and I'm actually considering returning it for the ER4B instead. For two reasons, really:

1.) I am a professional gamer and I listen to binaural / HRTF / virtual surround sound. A lot of the HRTF options used in competitive games come from the Kemar data set - which, to my understanding, is a diffuse field response (please correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, to achieve the most optimal localization, I would imagine the ER4B would be the best fit for me.

2.) My ear canals angle upwards (as most do - although I question if mine do more than others, haha) and as a result the new angle of the ER4SR cable just doesn't work for me. I would imagine the older style angle on the ER4B would be a better fit.

So, before I make a rushed decision with this exchange, would you mind updating me on where the ER4B stands? I know you mentioned many months ago that Etymotic may consider an upgrade if there was enough demand for it. If that didn't pan out though, then do you know if it's possible to alter the ER4SR's response with resistors to achieve a diffuse field response like that of the ER4B? Since the ER4SR has a detachable cable, would a cable with the components inside be able to achieve a diffuse field response (and perhaps even offer the old, more obtuse angle, on the strain relief)? I just don't know where to go from here, and I don't want to make an exchange for the ER4B if something I'm unaware of is right around the corner.

Thank you in advance for any insight, Dave - I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back