If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #10,637 of 19,249
@rggz Nice cable tidy. It's better to wind your cable in a figure of eight as it will keep it straight. This is easily done using extended first and little fingers.

May 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #10,638 of 19,249
Just a general question about BA drivers. I understand they can be quite fragile and shouldn't be dropped. I'm quite careful with my gear, but I've managed to accidentally knocked my them against various objects. They're still working fine but I'm just not sure how much abuse they can take. How durable are these things and what are some symptoms of a damaged driver? Low volume? Distortion?

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #10,639 of 19,249
Just a general question about BA drivers. I understand they can be quite fragile and shouldn't be dropped. I'm quite careful with my gear, but I've managed to accidentally knocked my XR against various objects. They're still working fine but I'm just not sure how much abuse they can take. How durable are these things and what are some symptoms of a damaged driver? Low volume? Distortion?
I'm also curious about this. I usually throw my earphone to the bed from several meters.
Another question is, Etymotics don't recommend to replace cable without sending to them. I still don't know exactly the reason. Because recently I found my ER4S cable is broken at splitter (quite disapointed, just 2-year usage). I don't want to wait for repairing (I'm in Korea, it would take long time for sending to US and getting it back), so I bought a new 3rd party cable. However, I found that the connection is quite loose (I had to use glue to fix). Therefore, I am wondering how much it affects to the sound quality. Thanks!

May 19, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #10,640 of 19,249
Just a general question about BA drivers. I understand they can be quite fragile and shouldn't be dropped. I'm quite careful with my gear, but I've managed to accidentally knocked my XR against various objects. They're still working fine but I'm just not sure how much abuse they can take. How durable are these things and what are some symptoms of a damaged driver? Low volume? Distortion?

If you start hearing noticeable distortion / cracking then the driver is damaged. While BA is inherently more fragile then dynamic driver, it isn't so fragile that it can't take a light fall or two on normal waist height.

I'm also curious about this. I usually throw my earphone to the bed from several meters.
Another question is, Etymotics don't recommend to replace cable without sending to them. I still don't know exactly the reason. Because recently I found my ER4S cable is broken at splitter (quite disapointed, just 2-year usage). I don't want to wait for repairing (I'm in Korea, it would take long time for sending to US and getting it back), so I bought a new 3rd party cable. However, I found that the connection is quite loose (I had to use glue to fix). Therefore, I am wondering how much it affects to the sound quality. Thanks!

There is nothing bad about not using ER4 stack cable, except that the majority (I'll say >95%) of all the aftermarket cable out there are not built to the correct ER4 spec, most noticeably the completely lack of proper resistors. This is probably more apparent to your ER4S as it required 100ohm on the cable (where most aftermarket has none). So instead of making the sound of ER4S, using this type of aftermarket cable gives you a sound that is closer (and slightly worst IMO) to ER4P, not to mention it can somewhat stress your source if it isn't a particularly good one.

May 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #10,641 of 19,249
looking for some advice

i overall really enjoy my er4s. i think the quality coming straight out of my iphone 6 plus (tidal and aiff files) is fantastic.

i also sometimes use my sony pha3 that does improve the quality of sound a little more than straight out of the phone (eg dynamics and detail)

however recently i'm finding the sound a little too bright at the top end for me and where i'm at

i have tried the mojo before but was not overly convinced by it as i felt it a little too closed

i've demoed (briefly) a few other portable dac/amps but nothing has stood out

i am looking to maintain a high level of detail, keep things pretty much neutral in sound but add a touch of warmth (perhaps) but just bring the highs and overall sound back a little

any ideas/suggestions, apart from doing a little eq'ing that i was doing at times previously?
maybe the alo v5 but then i would be double amping (using my iphone) in case that is an issue

thanks
peter

May 19, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #10,642 of 19,249
any ideas/suggestions, apart from doing a little eq'ing that i was doing at times previously?
maybe the alo v5 but then i would be double amping (using my iphone) in case that is an issue

I'll suggest foam tips first, if you haven't done so. There is also the route of using a custom cable with lesser impedance. I built a 47ohm ER4 cable for someone before and the result is a sound that is somewhere between ER4P and ER4S (though it is closer to ER4P's sound overall). Perhaps a custom 75ohm cable might do the job?

May 23, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #10,643 of 19,249
I'm sort of wondering if Etymotic used a higher than average crossover for the ER4SR/XR to try and emulate the stereo speaker experience. I've been trying to pin down the problem I've been hearing with these headphones, where the center of the sound stage sounds kind of muddled and lacking depth. Not sure if this is difference in crossover, frequency response (lack of bass?), or something else? Maybe the driver size? Or is this the common problem associated with single BA drivers?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #10,644 of 19,249
I'm sort of wondering if Etymotic used a higher than average crossover for the ER4SR/XR to try and emulate the stereo speaker experience. I've been trying to pin down the problem I've been hearing with these headphones, where the center of the sound stage sounds kind of muddled and lacking depth. Not sure if this is difference in crossover, frequency response (lack of bass?), or something else? Maybe the driver size? Or is this the common problem associated with single BA drivers?

Donno about the rest but give SR/XR are single driver, there is no crossover inside. I do however find SR/XR inherently more specious sounding than the old ER4.

May 24, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #10,645 of 19,249
More spacious in what way? My ER4PT sounded airier in both modes.

I meant crossfeed and/or crosstalk by the way.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #10,646 of 19,249

Lack of good stereo imaging, is most likely caused by a fit issue. Do you have a good seal in both ears?
I do not know of any IEMs where crosstalk is deliberately introduced. It is the opposite that they strive for.
Crossfeed can be introduced by an amp or source and it's purpose is to eliminate any hard left or right low frequency tones that are not heard live or with speaker systems. Modern recordings don't normally suffer from this, but the stereo imaging can often be enhanced by a quality crossfeed function.

May 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #10,647 of 19,249

By specious, I mean the overall image is wider and instruments are better positioned / separated in the same given 'head space'.

May 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #10,648 of 19,249
when a pair for the certificate just so happens to match real well, you would put it aside to serve the rich and powerful of this planet. while as a direct consequence, the 99 percenters would get to the street and take down governments because of the statistical decrease by 0.0000001% in matching for the standard er4 service.
I don't want to be pessimistic but we're all gonna die and it's your fault!

I'm not sure I can have that on my conscience.

Just curious, if you were theoretically dying, would you have time to carve "argh" in the wall or is it a faster demise?

May 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #10,649 of 19,249
I suppose it depends on how your manufacturing and testing for matching is set up. If it logs to software then a hit program could let you know during the intial grading process to put a driver aside for the limited production matching. It may take a while to build up a stock of matched drivers but I see it more as logistical than anything else.

Or you could offload the work to the supplier:)

I assume you mean offload the work to the driver supplier? Unfortunately, there is a stack-up of all the tolerances of the components and the assembly, so matching can't happen until the earpieces are fully assembled.

May 24, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #10,650 of 19,249
Thank you for the helpful response! The fit problem is not so much about the tragus or antitragus (although it does cause some discomfort on my antitragus after a while). Instead, it actually has more to do with the bottom of the strain relief pushing into the side of my head (just below the ear). It actually prevents me from angling it upwards enough to slide deeper into my ear canal (I'm just barely short of the angle I'd need). Wearing it cable up solves the problem entirely, but for a lot of silly reasons I can't wear them cable up. My guess is the older angle would be just right for me - it looks like enough of a difference that it'd be perfect.

In regards to the 4B conversion cable for the new series, is that something you guys are already working on? If so, what might an ETA look like for that? I'll probably go for the older model ER4-B, but I'm curious just in case. Thank you again!

The ER4B conversion isn't something I am actively working on right now, but who knows for the future. I'd be hesitant to recommend waiting for it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back