If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #4,021 of 19,247
  I've just picked up a set of ER4PT, so far I'm enjoying the sound but I can't seem to get comfortable with them for long. I've tried the flanged tips and they are painful to the point I have to take them out in a matter of minutes, its like a sharp scratching inside my ears. I bought some comply t100 and while these are much more comfortable, I am experiencing a pain in my jaw while wearing them, as soon as I take them out the pain fades away.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on experiences like this - I don't want to throw in the towel but I'm getting closer! 

Put a bit baby oil onto the tri-flanges to soften it. If you endure it long enough, it will absorb your skin oil and eventually soften up.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #4,024 of 19,247

Thanks. Will try that later.

Liquid vaseline is useful too.
um... That's what she said. ...Sorry, i had to. :p

I've just picked up a set of ER4PT, so far I'm enjoying the sound but I can't seem to get comfortable with them for long. I've tried the flanged tips and they are painful to the point I have to take them out in a matter of minutes, its like a sharp scratching inside my ears. I bought some comply t100 and while these are much more comfortable, I am experiencing a pain in my jaw while wearing them, as soon as I take them out the pain fades away.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on experiences like this - I don't want to throw in the towel but I'm getting closer! 

I had jaw pain initially. I actually thought i had teeth problems or something. Really. Crazy me, i just kept using them. Pretty much have no issues now, especially with the t100

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,025 of 19,247
That would sound pretty amazing! ER4S can scale up well. =)

Oh, it does! I have the ER-4S wired for balanced operation too, and it is glorious 
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #4,027 of 19,247
  Please share your views on the balanced ER4S. Thanks

To make it short and sweet, the overall fidelity is taken up a notch. I bought S adapters from Awwan off eBay, a replacement Westone cable, and a TRRS jack. Cut off the TRS jack on the replacement cable (save it for a BAL-SE adapter if you want), and solder on the TRRS jack. I think total spent was around $60 and now you have an Ety that can be run both balanced and single-ended operation if you buy a female TRRS jack :)

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #4,028 of 19,247
just joined the party! got my etys used today and am loving it!

those of you who still use the stock cable, how do you do your cord management? it seems to be a bit messy (cord tangling?) stuffing everything in the small pouch provided for carrying around.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,029 of 19,247
I have no problem fitting the er4s in the small included pouch, and it's a nice little pouch.  You just need to roll the wire up evenly so the cord bends smoothly on both sides of the resistor housing.  However, I've been using this for a while:

It's smaller than it looks in the photo.  About the size of an ipod classic but twice as thick.  It offers better protection, it holds accessories like the tips and adapters and it's light and a good shape.  Best of all $2 at marshalls or jc penny.  A few more dollars if you get it at target I think.

Highly recommend it if absolute minimum size isn't needed, but you still want something very portable and protective.

It's just big enough to be easier to get the cord into but not so big that there is a lot of extra space.

For wrapping the er4s, I used to hold the resistor part in my palm and wrap the cord around my hand both ways to get it evenly wrapped on the sides of the resistor housing.  Now I'm so used to it, I know exactly where to hold the connector at the end to do a simple wrap in one direction and get it perfect every time.  As you can see in the photo, the resistor is nicely in the middle so the cord isn't stressed at all...

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #4,030 of 19,247
  To make it short and sweet, the overall fidelity is taken up a notch. I bought S adapters from Awwan off eBay, a replacement Westone cable, and a TRRS jack. Cut off the TRS jack on the replacement cable (save it for a BAL-SE adapter if you want), and solder on the TRRS jack. I think total spent was around $60 and now you have an Ety that can be run both balanced and single-ended operation if you buy a female TRRS jack :)

Thanks for your views brunk, I might go for the DIY balanced version one day. Need to brush up on my rusty soldering techniques before attempting :D

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #4,031 of 19,247
Oil worked a treat - first time I've been able to wear tri Flange tips ever (I normally give up on them after the first go is uncomfortable!)

On another notes, has anyone tried the adapters you can get so you can use a Westone cable? Do they effect the sound at all? I have a couple of Westone cables at home and I was thinking of getting the adapter off of ebay so I can use these cables, wear over ear properly and avoid the microphonics of the standard cable.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #4,032 of 19,247
I have the adapters and westone cable and it is way nicer then stock.  much lighter and less tangle prone and over the ear has removed all microphonics for me.  Can't imagine ever going back.  Sound is the same.

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,033 of 19,247
I have no problem fitting the er4s in the small included pouch, and it's a nice little pouch.  You just need to roll the wire up evenly so the cord bends smoothly on both sides of the resistor housing.  However, I've been using this for a while:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

It's smaller than it looks in the photo.  About the size of an ipod classic but twice as thick.  It offers better protection, it holds accessories like the tips and adapters and it's light and a good shape.  Best of all $2 at marshalls or jc penny.  A few more dollars if you get it at target I think.

Highly recommend it if absolute minimum size isn't needed, but you still want something very portable and protective.

It's just big enough to be easier to get the cord into but not so big that there is a lot of extra space.

For wrapping the er4s, I used to hold the resistor part in my palm and wrap the cord around my hand both ways to get it evenly wrapped on the sides of the resistor housing.  Now I'm so used to it, I know exactly where to hold the connector at the end to do a simple wrap in one direction and get it perfect every time.  As you can see in the photo, the resistor is nicely in the middle so the cord isn't stressed at all...

Anything for those of us who want minimum size (so that it fits nicely in a pocket)? I was thinking of something to wrap the cord around (but that resistor part gets in the way of a lot of options), and then putting that into the provided case.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,034 of 19,247
Originally Posted by syncopied /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anything for those of us who want minimum size (so that it fits nicely in a pocket)? I was thinking of something to wrap the cord around (but that resistor part gets in the way of a lot of options), and then putting that into the provided case.

I find that doesn't work well.  For pocket travel I actually use an altoids tin.  Made for a pocket and fits very well with the er4s.  Fits the phones and a baggy of a few tips.

As you can see, it's obviously smaller than the other container.  :p

I find it very pocketable.  As you can see, it's actually very similar in size to the ety pouch, but more protective, and a tad more space due to the shape and rigidity.

It's a bit easier to get the phones in, because of the way the case opens fully vs. a zipper.

Just wash it with some soap and water, rinse and dry.  Nice little cheap case. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back