If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 24, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,006 of 19,248
Thanks for the EQ setting luisdent but I'm now looking for a global EQ for the iDevices but there seems to be none. All the EQ apps can only EQ within the app but not for streaming apps except SoundFocus which only does Spotify via streaming function.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #4,007 of 19,248
Thanks for the EQ setting luisdent but I'm now looking for a global EQ for the iDevices but there seems to be none. All the EQ apps can only EQ within the app but not for streaming apps except SoundFocus which only does Spotify via streaming function.
i looked. There are none.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #4,008 of 19,248
Thanks for the lookout luisdent, much appreciated. I don't think there'll ever be one because each streaming app will need to allow the EQ app access to their stream in order to permit Equalization and I think with the amount of streaming apps in the market, it's quite impossible for a particular EQ app to gain access to all streaming apps.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #4,010 of 19,248
Thanks for the lookout luisdent, much appreciated. I don't think there'll ever be one because each streaming app will need to allow the EQ app access to their stream in order to permit Equalization and I think with the amount of streaming apps in the market, it's quite impossible for a particular EQ app to gain access to all streaming apps.

It's possible, but you would need an app that has access to the audio stream at the last stage before it leaves the output. This might be something only apple could do, and they probably won't...

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4,011 of 19,248
how about something that pre-processed all music files uploaded to your idevice and applied the eq directly to the file?  these files must be readable by any app not sure if they are also writeable though... if so this could be a killer app. for any iProgrammers out there looking to make a quick million.

other option is to do the pre-processing on the desktop side before uploading to the idevice.  basically copy your music files into a second folder called EQ and have something re-equalize them all and use that folder instead.

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #4,012 of 19,248
Too much work to pre-process the files groovyd. I never like the idea of ruining a good mix. The best is to have Apple implement a high quality last stage EQ for all iDevices like what luisdent mentioned. It's high time Apple realize that many of their iDevice users loves music and implementing a high quality EQ will be a necessity. Besides it'll definitely give the iDevice an edge over the Android devices. Well, if Android starts implementing this functionality first then you can bet I'll be the first to jump ship :wink:

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4,013 of 19,248
Too much work to pre-process the files groovyd. I never like the idea of ruining a good mix. The best is to have Apple implement a high quality last stage EQ for all iDevices like what luisdent mentioned. It's high time Apple realize that many of their iDevice users loves music and implementing a high quality EQ will be a necessity. Besides it'll definitely give the iDevice an edge over the Android devices. Well, if Android starts implementing this functionality first then you can bet I'll be the first to jump ship
wink.gif

I am thinking of something that just does it for you.  The other advantage is that a dedicated app for this could implement a much better quality equalizing algorithm as it does not have to do it in real time.  I doubt Apple will make their EQ a first class API even though I agree with you they should.  They need to rejuvenate their dying ipod business and introducing a new classic with 256G SSD and 96/24 DAC plus a high-drive output amp and integrate a first class EQ and open its API for use by other apps.  Then introduce a high-def iTunes matching service that would let users upgrade their entire library to 96/24 high def for either a higher priced annual fee then iMatch currently charges or even a fixed price like 9 cents per track.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4,016 of 19,248
yeah I know... just wishing someone would light a fire under their ass and just do it.  It would take a company like Apple all of a week to design an entirely new classic with all the tricks, just insanely great.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #4,017 of 19,248
I have FiiO X5 tour unit with me for 10 days, it sounds absolutely fan diddly tastic with ER4S, It's this pairing I've been listening to this afternoon that sold me on X5. it's such a well rounded balanced sound and the X5 has plenty of driving power on low gain to bring out the best of ER4S detail, from a stand alone DAP (without any amp) it's honestly the best I have heard my ER4S, better than my Studio units. Excllent heft in the lower mids that seems to balance out with that upper mid range emphasis and they sound really versatile, they take on this 'high end' timbre to pianos and percussion instruments. Don't take my word for it though. :wink: Simply carry on with your Zips and what not.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #4,018 of 19,248
I've just picked up a set of ER4PT, so far I'm enjoying the sound but I can't seem to get comfortable with them for long. I've tried the flanged tips and they are painful to the point I have to take them out in a matter of minutes, its like a sharp scratching inside my ears. I bought some comply t100 and while these are much more comfortable, I am experiencing a pain in my jaw while wearing them, as soon as I take them out the pain fades away.

Does anyone have any suggestions based on experiences like this - I don't want to throw in the towel but I'm getting closer! 

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #4,019 of 19,248
  I have FiiO X5 tour unit with me for 10 days, it sounds absolutely fan diddly tastic with ER4S, It's this pairing I've been listening to this afternoon that sold me on X5. it's such a well rounded balanced sound and the X5 has plenty of driving power on low gain to bring out the best of ER4S detail, from a stand alone DAP (without any amp) it's honestly the best I have heard my ER4S, better than my Studio units. Excllent heft in the lower mids that seems to balance out with that upper mid range emphasis and they sound really versatile, they take on this 'high end' timbre to pianos and percussion instruments. Don't take my word for it though. :wink: Simply carry on with your Zips and what not.

That's why I have the HM-901 with balanced card and never looked back 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back