If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,992 of 19,251
Anyone know of an IEM that sounds like the ER4 but with more low-end impact? I love the Ety house sound but the bass just isn't there like I want it on the ER4 I demoed a while back...I want the UERM but its way out of my price reach.

If I could have the ER4 with SM3 bass...now that would be something.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #3,994 of 19,251
Not quite but it extends very low. It was very satisfying for me but I think mostly due to quality, a level my ~$400 budget won't get me, so I'm looking for a bit of extra quantity to make up for it.
I don't think UERM bass has the same level as SM3 though.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #3,995 of 19,251
Anyone know of an IEM that sounds like the ER4 but with more low-end impact? I love the Ety house sound but the bass just isn't there like I want it on the ER4 I demoed a while back...I want the UERM but its way out of my price reach.

If I could have the ER4 with SM3 bass...now that would be something.

What about Noble 4? I like it a lot and while I haven't heard UERM Flysweep seems to think they are similar http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/900#post_10103226

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,996 of 19,251
I personally was very impressed with the JH13 Pro but the Accudio Pro app with it's ER4S reference EQ sort of turned my ER4S into a close to JH13 Pro sound (just add about +2dB bass boost on top of the reference EQ). I only pay 5 dollars for the app and that's a damn good price for a sound upgrade. It definitely can't replace the JH13 Pro but I'm damn happy with it. The only downside is that I can't use the reference EQ on other apps like Spotify and many other music apps. My other complain is that the app sort of have a mind of it's own when it comes to file organisation and it's quite laggy and unstable at times. Accudio Pro app needs some major work before it gets my total recommendation. Then again it's 5 dollars well spent for any Ety ER4S lovers.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #3,997 of 19,251
The best way to maintain that reference Ety sound but get more low end impact is with EQ. The ER4 responds very well to EQ IME. I'm generally not big on EQ but it's not the worst thing in the world if it'll make music more enjoyable for you.

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,998 of 19,251
I personally was very impressed with the JH13 Pro but the Accudio Pro app with it's ER4S reference EQ sort of turned my ER4S into a close to JH13 Pro sound (just add about +2dB bass boost on top of the reference EQ). I only pay 5 dollars for the app and that's a damn good price for a sound upgrade. It definitely can't replace the JH13 Pro but I'm damn happy with it. The only downside is that I can't use the reference EQ on other apps like Spotify and many other music apps. My other complain is that the app sort of have a mind of it's own when it comes to file organisation and it's quite laggy and unstable at times. Accudio Pro app needs some major work before it gets my total recommendation. Then again it's 5 dollars well spent for any Ety ER4S lovers.
Use my eq settings. They're better than accudio :wink: and can be used in other apps.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #4,000 of 19,251
I just purchased an MC2 the other day. I find these very very similar sounding to the ER-4. The remind me more of the ER-4S than they do of the ER-4P. I'm not sure if I'd be able to differentiate them in a blind test, at least not immediately.
Highly recommended if you want a taste of the Ety house sound for cheap, especially if you can find them for under $50 :) If only I'd bought these instead of the Re-ZERO three years ago... I think I would've saved myself a lot of money!
The build quality is more questionable though, especially the cable. The stock ER-4 cable or the Re-ZERO is very sturdy in comparison.
I believe the microphone and button on the MC2 were designed for Android but it also happens to work well with my Windows Phone.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #4,001 of 19,251
I also found an interesting IEM that can be EQ'ed to sound similar to the Ety house sound, although I'm not sure if this has been brought up before.
Anyhow, I'm sure someone like luisdent will find this interesting.
The link is here: http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-30.html
The graph that I find interesting is this one:

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #4,002 of 19,251
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the "trying to match someone else's EQ settings" coz even if both are looking for the exact same sound it's doubtful that both have the exact same sources. People just have different phones, DAPs, DACs, amps and there will always be something or several things in the chain that will alter the sound - it's not like there is one universal reference flat source that everyone's using.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,003 of 19,251
I completely agree. Not only may your rig not be the same (e.g. different output impedance, etc.) but your ears will be different too. Sometimes I even have trouble getting an identical fit between ears.

Quote:
  Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the "trying to match someone else's EQ settings" coz even if both are looking for the exact same sound it's doubtful that both have the exact same sources. People just have different phones, DAPs, DACs, amps and there will always be something or several things in the chain that will alter the sound - it's not like there is one universal reference flat source that everyone's using.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #4,004 of 19,251
Use my eq settings. They're better than accudio :wink: and can be used in other apps.

Yes yes luisdent, which EQ app are you using which can be used with all apps globally. I've found SoundFocus which can access Spotify from it's app but the EQ implementation is not as elaborate but it's decent enough. The only problem is that it can't access my offline Spotify files. It only does streaming. Great at home but not outdoors where I prefer to use my offline Spotify downloaded files.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #4,005 of 19,251

Use my eq settings. They're better than accudio
wink.gif
and can be used in other apps.

Yes yes luisdent, which EQ app are you using which can be used with all apps globally. I've found SoundFocus which can access Spotify from it's app but the EQ implementation is not as elaborate but it's decent enough. The only problem is that it can't access my offline Spotify files. It only does streaming. Great at home but not outdoors where I prefer to use my offline Spotify downloaded files.

I'm not using any global apps on my ipod, because I use my sansa for audio.  I have a global app on my laptop though.  But if you can find any eq app that allows q or bandwidth values, the eq setting should work... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back