If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #4,051 of 19,248

Tim Gideon said he could hear the difference in his review of the ER4PT at PCMag using some frequency test. He actually rights pretty good reviews so I valued it more than some of the mainstream stuff I'v read. He praises highly the ER4S, owns both and said he could hear the difference. 

1. Single examples of the ER4S/ER4PT will have different channel matching just because each unit is slightly different. If they had received a different unit/serial number for review it might have been the other way around.

2. The deviation is mostly above 8 kHz meaning it could be due to insertion depth variation.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #4,053 of 19,248
^ I was wondering where people were getting all these wild ideas about the differences. Miss information is alive and well. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4,054 of 19,248
I have the adapters and westone cable and it is way nicer then stock.  much lighter and less tangle prone and over the ear has removed all microphonics for me.  Can't imagine ever going back.  Sound is the same.

I tried those ebay adapters some time back but found them to be build in such a manner as to reverse the phasing of the phones when other cables were attached. The only solution was to re-bend one of the cable plugs in the opposite direction, but this is detrimental to the cable as over time, this area will fatigue and ultimately break.

I sent an email with diagrams to correct this issue and was told that I would be sent a proper set when this issue was fixed. I heard nothing and sent a followup and was told my address had gotten lost and I would again receive the re-designed set. I have heard nothing since. I don't know if the design was corrected or not.

It is easy to check for proper phasing as there are many online sites that one can use to test for in-phase and out-of-phase phones. The difference is clearly audible.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #4,055 of 19,248
I had them hooked up out of phase at first but the connection between the westone and the adapters is symmetric so you can plug it in either direction equally easily.  I just flipped one side and great sound. no worries, love the adapters and westone way way better then stock.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #4,056 of 19,248
...got the Comply Psx100 with the wax guards and they are nicer then without it.  My only remaining question is can these be cleaned when they get dirty?  Also I got mixed sets of 3 of the S M L of each with and without wax filter but S is my size.  Anyone have some more small Comply to trade for the 2 pair each of M & L one with wax filter and one without ?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4,057 of 19,248
I'm having a hard time visualizing how these cables are "out of phase." The only cause that I can imagine is if the wires are reversed at one of the connections. This would require disconnecting the wires and resoldering them to the plug with the correct polarity, right?

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #4,059 of 19,248
Has anyone had their ER4's reshelled into a custom? If so, how does it affect the sound - I really love the sound of these but I just can't get comfortable with them. I considered getting some custom tips from ACS in the UK but I've read that there may be an adverse effect on the sound because the drivers aren't in as deep. I'm considering reshelling them into customs but I'm concerned it'll change the sound considerably.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #4,060 of 19,248
Has anyone had their ER4's reshelled into a custom? If so, how does it affect the sound - I really love the sound of these but I just can't get comfortable with them. I considered getting some custom tips from ACS in the UK but I've read that there may be an adverse effect on the sound because the drivers aren't in as deep. I'm considering reshelling them into customs but I'm concerned it'll change the sound considerably.

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately no one will give you assurance that the reshelled Ety will sound indenitical as the original Ety. You may also consider checking those customs which according to the manufacturers/reviewers sounds similar to Etys, for example CanalWorks or Spiral Ear one driver models.

I had Etys with custom tips made by the Custom Art. I've purchased them just for the sake of comfort (with triples on one day I could have a constant seal and on the other day I could lost a seal after 20 minutes of listening). There's FR chart somewhere in this thread which contains a comparison between my Etys on triple and my Etys on custom tips - on custom tips there was a peak of few db in the 6-10 kHz region, but according to the Custom Art this could be lowered or even mitigated by changing the horn of the custom tips.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4,062 of 19,248
Yeah, I thought as much. I really do love the sound but comfort does leave a lot to be desired!

I'll take a look at those customs, thanks for the suggestions.

Check out the Canal Works CW-LO5QD here. It supposedly uses 4 drivers on each side, the same drivers used in the ER4. There's more information in this thread from tomscy2000. If I ever got customs it'd probably be these.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #4,064 of 19,248

Yeah, I thought as much. I really do love the sound but comfort does leave a lot to be desired!

I'll take a look at those customs, thanks for the suggestions.

Check out the Canal Works CW-LO5QD here. It supposedly uses 4 drivers on each side, the same drivers used in the ER4. There's more information in this thread from tomscy2000. If I ever got customs it'd probably be these.

any graph on these?

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4,065 of 19,248
So I'm searching to match a 70 db volume.... I have an etymotic er4s with 100 ohm impedance and 100 db per 1 mW. I'm using a fiio e07k with 220 mW@32Ω and, 250 mW@16Ω... I'm using gain of 6 dB (2X) and i'm asuming 2.7 V for the e07k before the gain. So without gain it will 118.62 db max loudness and with gain 124.6434 db...Is this correct? With gain of 6 dB is just multiply 2.7x2=5.4 as new max ouput from the amp? Since the e07k has 60 levels for volume i'm just using proportions to match the desired decibels... but when using equivalents for 70 dB with and without gain it doesn't sound equal... Any help will be apreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back