If you had to put a price on Beat by Dre
Jan 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #62 of 67
If you're talking about the Studio version, which I believe were $300 last time I was in the Apple store, then I'd price them at $80 at most and $60 at least. To me, the sound isn't terrible and the noise canceling is nice. Among that, the packaging is top-quality and they seemed fairly comfortable. Does that mean I'd buy them for the $80? No way. I'd rather get some PortaPros for $50 less. IMO $300 is criminal for these phones, but like anything in the fashion world (these are primarily a fashion accessory) things that cost more are better. It's why the hip-hop crowd still chooses to buy $200 Nike basketball shoes. They might be made by a 9-year-old Vietnamese child for the cost of $3, and they might be less comfortable than other better quality shoes out there, but they've got that Nike swoosh on the side and cost $200 which automatically makes them cool. So when I'm standing next to Joe Cool on the bus, me with my 325s and him with his Beats by Dre, he'll be more accepted by those around us and won't be teased about his "Beats", but I'll be happier with my quality cans. 
gs1000.gif

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #65 of 67
Studio will be a good buy for $100. This is a noise cancelling can and we know that noise cancelling cans cost at least 2x more than its counterpart and usually does not sound as good. It is hard to find a <$100 noise cancelling can and the SQ of studio is not as bad as people make them out to be. They are bearable and sound 100x better than skullcandy.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #66 of 67
$115 for the Studio with NC - it has a lot in common with AT's ATH-ANC7B so around that price seems about right.

$80 TOPS for the Solos - and that's based off similarity to say the Senns HD228

Then again, I'm not really interested in either for obvious reasons . . . 

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #67 of 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back