If you had to put a price on Beat by Dre
Jan 6, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #46 of 67
I think they sound a bit better than the Sony MDR-V300 I owned, and I bought those for $49.99 about 8-9 years ago.  I'd say a fair price for them would be $89.99 if it included a nice storage bag, some 1/8" to 1/4" adapters, an inline attenuator, a $5.00 iTunes card, and a 5-year warranty.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #47 of 67
This should have been a poll, though of course we couldn't anticipate the range of responses until after they had come. A good ol' Catch-22.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #48 of 67
I wouldn't pay $50 for them, because the DBI Pro 700 and 705 are $45 new with free shipping and sound twice as good

I'd pay aroudn $30 for them and i would still be unhappy because the JVC HARX700 is only $30 and outperforms the beats lol

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #49 of 67
I say in a retail store like best buy they should cost $69.99.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #50 of 67
i got beats studio for $140 (open box) and recently got 750d for $123 (new), and 750di needs amp and beats studio needs batteries. If 750dj SQ is 10 with amp, i will rate studio as 7. so i will say $90 - $100 is reasonable for beats studio

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #52 of 67
I like my iBuds better, and those came free with my iPod.

If Monster wants an endorsement from me, they can sign me to a marketing contract. With the company health plan and stock options.

And I'd hate myself for doing it, but if it could fund an early retirement....

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #53 of 67
The new Beats Pro are the only Beats I'd seriously consider.  I don't think they should be worth more than $200. 

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #54 of 67

Quote:
I like my iBuds better, and those came free with my iPod.

If Monster wants an endorsement from me, they can sign me to a marketing contract. With the company health plan and stock options.

And I'd hate myself for doing it, but if it could fund an early retirement....

The first thing I would do if someone gave one to me would be an instant trip to the Salvation Army.
I'm happy that people are in contemptment of these.
I can't even go a day without someone in school mentioning these.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #55 of 67

Quote:
i got beats studio for $140 (open box) and recently got 750d for $123 (new), and 750di needs amp and beats studio needs batteries. If 750dj SQ is 10 with amp, i will rate studio as 7. so i will say $90 - $100 is reasonable for beats studio

are you saying my shure srh750dj headphones are just as bad as the beats. i disagree with NEEDING an amp. amp can improve its sound overall. but it is mostly fine without one.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #56 of 67
$150 for the ones with the noise cancellation circuitry.  because that's not cheap tech.  but they wouldn't sell well because you can still do better for less.

so maybe $150 with a 30% coupon.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #57 of 67
This comment scares me, I can't help but to wonder if the Shure you listened to was damaged.  I can't think of any other reason anyone would rate the Beats so close to the Shure.  The 750 DJ is significantly superior to the Beats in every single way, build quality is better, audio clarity is twice as good and the Bass is of an insanely higher quality...and the set is literally half the price

If the Shure is a 10, the Beats are a 3 

If you paid more than $30 for the beats, you got ripped off because I felt the $30 JVCHARX700 and 900 were better in every way, and the $45 DBI po 700 was SIGNIFICANTLY better than all of them.  So...in reality the Beats should have been sold for the same price as the common skullcandies you see at the gas station.  

Quote:

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #58 of 67

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry but I would say $80-100 USD, (I rate looks quite high, not as high as sound quality though)

I think your inventory bears out that statement. :drool:

Normally I would say "Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry for your wallet," but it looks like your wallet is already either very fat or very, very sorry. 
cool.gif

Thanks, wallets not fat (my back pockets been ripped out). Also I think all my headphones are pretty, I don't think I would be able to buy an ulgy pair of headphones.

dang, that's a nice assortment of phones you got there, how's the rest of your gear?

Not as good as my phones I'm afraid (I'm a medical school student (19), there are limitations to what I can spend also being in New Zealand it's hard to find the right equipment)

Sources
Iphone 4 16gb
Ipod Touch 32gb 3rd Gen
HIFIMAN HM-801
Denon DCD2000

Amps
Grado RA1
Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear/USB Dac
Fiio E7
Ibasso D12

P.S don't judge me, I paid for these out of my own pocket (not my parents money) by working 60 hour weeks during semester breaks and tutoring violin and med students during the semester.

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #59 of 67

[size=medium]
Hi everybody, I'm new here! I've been reading these boards about the beats studio/solo/solo HD's and it seems that everyone dislikes them. First I would like to say I don't have too many headphones. I have a set of Solo HD's and I find that they aren't all that bad. I got them for $100 cheaper on boxing day (I'm Canadian 
bigsmile_face.gif
), and admittedly I think they are a total rip for $200+; but at the price i got them for I think they're only a little bit overpriced. That being said, they have definite positives (subjective). The best part of them are their portability and their size; they're also pretty comfy... build quality still needs to be seen I guess.. apparently I should expect them to explode in a month or two. They also have their negatives. I am not an audiophile, in that I don't really know all the lingo and what people mean when they say certain things haha. I enjoy that I can hear the bass guitar well in some songs (as I play the bass guitar). But if I can describe my qualms with the solo HDs in a newbie way, I would say that the vocalists in most of the music I've listened to are not as crisp or "clear" as I would like them to be and the bass detracts from some of the instruments that I want to hear.  

I have my eye on a set of M50's though, due to the fact that every thread mentions them somewhere as a good full sized headphone. I would like to use them to replace the Solo HD's for iTouch listening, but I'm apprenhensive because I'm not sure if they're good for wearing, say, on the train or walking around campus. The Solos are great for that and comfy. Also I've been reading a lot of reviews on the M50's and it seems that the bass is pretty strong. Are they so strong that they overpower a song?

The M50's are also going to be used (if I get them) when I play my keyboard (piano), an older Alesis. I was hoping I could hear some opinions on the M50's for strictly iPod listening (thus unamped) and keyboards. How would the Shure 750DJs compare? Thanks!
[/size]

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #60 of 67
HFI-580, m50, 750DJ all cheaper all 300X better, unless you like overly loud , slow, muddy bass, and shrill screechy highs for 400$ that lack a mid range in that case go buy the beats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back