If you could only own ONE headphone forever, it would be _____?
Jul 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #182 of 195
I would have to choose the JH-3A with JH-16s. They sounded unbelievably good at Can Jam. I liked these headphones better than the Ultrasone Edition 8, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, and the Audeze LCD-2. The only thing that sounded better than the JH-3A was a Sennheiser Baby Orpheus (HE-90) in a massive CD Transport Rig. Considering the fact that the JH-3A is also portable, makes it mind-bogglingly good.

Note: If I had a choice between the JH-3A and the HE-90 (assuming I couldn't sell/trade either) I would go for the JH-3A w/JH-16. Simply, because I wouldn't need to worry about an amp and/or source, it is very portable, it is very durable, and it isolates very well.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #183 of 195

What you SHOULD consider:
1. Sound quality
2. Durability
3. How it suits the genres you prefer

If I only consider the criteria stated in the first post of this thread, I'd have to pick the Grado HP-1000, which is sonically marvelous, suits all genres of music very nicely, and is built like a friggin' tank. I owned but eventually sold one due to another extremely important factor not in the original list: comfort. The HP-1000 was too heavy for my liking, and combined with the rough surface of Grado foam pads, did not make long listening sessions enjoyable. (The roughness of the Grado pads was made worse by the added weight of the phones. And if I tried to relieve the pad pressure by stretching out the headband, the high weight of the HP1000 made it prone to slipping around on my head.)

If I factor in comfort, my current pick would be a Beyerdynamic T1, although I have to reserve final judgment on that can until I've used it for a year or two.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #184 of 195

Quote:

If I only consider the criteria stated in the first post of this thread, I'd have to pick the Grado HP-1000, which is sonically marvelous, suits all genres of music very nicely, and is built like a friggin' tank. I owned but eventually sold one due to another extremely important factor not in the original list: comfort. The HP-1000 was too heavy for my liking, and combined with the rough surface of Grado foam pads, did not make long listening sessions enjoyable. (The roughness of the Grado pads was made worse by the added weight of the phones. And if I tried to relieve the pad pressure by stretching out the headband, the high weight of the HP1000 made it prone to slipping around on my head.)

If I factor in comfort, my current pick would be a Beyerdynamic T1, although I have to reserve final judgment on that can until I've used it for a year or two.

Have you tried out the Grado GS1000i? The pads are improved, and they are extremely light weight. If the sound signature suits you, then you should check them out.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #187 of 195
Well out of phones I have heard I would have to go with the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers however I know there are definitely better one's out there. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #191 of 195

Quote:
stock apple buds.

eek.gif

blink.gif

No offense, but... Really?

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #194 of 195
"If you could only own ONE headphone forever, it would be _____?"

A problem with this question isn't the "ONE headphone", it's the "forever". Ignoring that you'd need to wear them in your casket after you've passed into the afterlife, given the pace of technological development, I can't imagine a single model I would buy now that would satisfy me for the rest of my life. Even the best of the older models like the AKG K1000 and Grado HP-1000 have their weaknesses that have since been overcome (although not necessarily by those same manufacturers) in newer designs. Imagine what's to come in the next 10 or 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back