If you could only own ONE headphone forever, it would be _____?
Jul 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #151 of 195
Jul 21, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #153 of 195

Quote:
Quote:

The T1 without the sparkly highs would be closer to what I like in a headphone sound.  The sparkle that the T1 adds just gets annoying to me, especially in cymbals in rock music.  I suppose I could EQ that out, but I don't think I ought to have to EQ away a problem in a headphone that costs over a grand.  If I had the T1 as a one headphone I'd eventually start focusing only on the sparkle and it would drive me crazy.

The D7000 without the recessed midrange would be a nice headphone as well.  I'd rather not have to resort to EQ to fix a sonic defect in an expensive headphone.  I suppose if I had to have the D7000 (or LA7000) as an only headphone I could get a custom hardware parametric style EQ that fixed the midrange.  The EQ would cost more than the headphones, but it would fix (to a reasonable extent) the problem.

Sparkely highs? That would be the DT880s....the T1's treble is quite a bit more laid back than the K701s/DT880s/HD800s/D7000s/any Grado headphone.

Jul 21, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #159 of 195
If price and portability isn't an issue. Why not we all get the Sennheiser HE-90/Orpheus?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #160 of 195

Quote:
Sparkely highs? That would be the DT880s....the T1's treble is quite a bit more laid back than the K701s/DT880s/HD800s/D7000s/any Grado headphone.

That is true.  The T1 does have less sparkle or apparent treble spike than the other Beyers.  But it is still there.  There's still a little extra sparkle that my ear seems to be drawn to.  I think I just have a problem with Beyer's style of treble, whether it be 770/880/990 or T1.

The difficulty is that this thread is about a one phone forever situation.  In a case like that I think I'd eventually get irritated by the T1 sparkle.  My ears would always be drawn to it always saying "I wish that sparkle would go away".  Never being able to enjoy the cans after that.  Always being tied to an EQ to make it go away.

For a one phone forever type of situation I'd want a headphone that does nothing that could offend me.  Nothing that would draw too much attention to a flaw in the sound.

The Denon's can have a pronounced treble.  Depends on the amp.  On my amp the treble on my D2000 is just right.  I like it.  I've tried it on some amps that cause a more pronounced treble and I don't like that.

My SR325is is just a fun can.  A sonic toy to play with.  Treble is way overdone.  I often EQ the treble down.  It is not the type of sound I'd want in a one phone forever type situation.

Something like the HD600 would actually be better in a one phone forever situation.  It does nothing to offend.  It only really gets offensive in what it doesn't do.  I would find that easier to live with than a headphone that is bothersome because of what it does do.

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #162 of 195

Quote:

Something like the HD600 would actually be better in a one phone forever situation.  It does nothing to offend.  It only really gets offensive in what it doesn't do.  I would find that easier to live with than a headphone that is bothersome because of what it does do.

QFT; it's also easily driven, light, comfortable and durable.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #164 of 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back