If the AKG K701 is great for acoustic, maybe classical but
Apr 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

otto88

New Head-Fier
not really for rock . .

I just read this
If your picking up the K701 and expecting them to be engaging with rock or even electronic music then yes you’re going to be disappointed. But that does not mean you should be coming on here ranting about the k701 sucks. It means that you made an uneducated purchase in correlation with your own music taste, and it's not the headphone in this instance it's you

I was about to buy K701s . .

But my listening is about 80% rock. I’m still attracted to 701s, but thinking a more bassy or darker sounding amp might make it work better with rockier stuff(?)

Thinking of partnering it with either a
  1. Matrix M-Stage,
  2. ASL’s mg-head OTL mark 3 or a
  3. HeadRoom Micro Amp

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 6
If you're listening to 80% rock, you should pick up a Grado. A SR-225 would probably be a good fit. If not the SR-225, then consider a Sennheiser HD-600 or Beyerdynamic DT880. Both do rock well, but Grado is better.

If you want a headphone for acoustics/vocals, look for an AKG K-501. Half the price of a K-701 and completely betters it. The K-501 has a natural, organic sound. The K-701 doesn't.

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 6

Thanks Erik

I'd continued searching, and came across the the AKG K-240

http://www.epinions.com/review/AKG_K_240S_Professional_Headphones/content_403075272324

How much better would the Grados be, over the K240 M's; maybe similar for rock, but for well recorded or acoustic material?

Cheers

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Gee I wonder who wrote that 
bigsmile_face.gif

But yeah i stand by it 100%. The k701 is not engaging with rock music, it is very bright and analytical. I pretty much only recommend the k701 if you primarily listen to classical, acoustic, or live music. Or if you are looking for something with a massive soundstage and great instrument separation for analytical listening. Other than that you will find them lacking and "anemic" sounding. Even with a quality amp and quality recording they will still not be engaging like you would want for rock music. Electric guitar sounds over amped, bodyless and piercing on the k701, it is not enjoyable to listen to at all. That is exactly why I wrote that above, people who expect for the k701 to sound good with rock were mislead and end up on here ranting about it or spending way to much money on a better source that will barely help.

That being said what the k701 does well at it does marvelously. Listening to acoustic guitar on the k701 is an amazing experience and because of that I will always highly recommend them... just not in your case 
k701smile.gif

My advice is to go with some sennheiser hd558's or hd600's, they do acoustics and classical well (but nowhere near the best) and have a good soundstage. They are also engaging and fun to listen to with most rock.

As UE said some dt880's might also suite your needs, and are similar to the k701 but certainly more fun to listen to. Personally Grado's are way to upfront for my liking, and I didn't enjoy listening to them. They were also very uncomfortable, but your not me so maybe you should look into some comparative reviews. Best of luck to you!

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 6
+1 with what they said, hehe.  I bought the K701 as a step up from my SR-60i and I was somewhat disappointed.  I even have an ASL MG-Head OTL (Mk II tho, I don't really know how different it might be to the newer Mk III) and I still don't love them for rock/anything where bass matters really.  However when I (very rarely) listen to something orchestral, they are quite impressive.  It's no biggy, I'm sure I'll sell them soon.  I have some SR325is's on the way (should be here this afternoon!) and I have high hopes of some good synergy with my darker amp :D

Good luck with your search.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for all the information guys

I saw a pair of Grado SR-225 on ebay, made an offer, and when I returned from a movie at a buddy's . . they were mine

My 1st new pair of cans in 32 years!

i think I'll move higher up the food chain when funds permit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back