IEM's, under $80, loud guitars, gym. Pretty please!
Jul 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fierce1979

New Head-Fier

I'm sorry to do this, I've just read through about 467 threads that all helped in one way or another so I promise that I'm not just being lazy!

I'm upgrading my headphone collection, and have ordered some Phiaton PS320s for everyday use, and now have approx $80 to spend on upgrading my IEM's from Senn CX500's

The Phiaton's will probably be my main phones, but I wanted some decent IEM's also

They'll be mainly used at the gym, so microphonics is a massive issue for me, as is the ability to stay where they're supposed to when pumping an admittedly small amount of iron

My requirements are:

$80 max - on AMAZON (gift vouchers!)
Low Microphonics
Music - loud guitar based stuff, mainly Punk/hardcore

I have researched, but tied myself up in knots a little. There is far too much choice at this range!

From trawling this site, it would appear that the following are all very highly regarded:

Etymotic MC5
MAXIMO iM-590
NuForce NE-7M
MEElectronics M6-CL
Klipsch S4

But obviously there are shedloads to choose from

Please, pretty please, help a fella out? All advice greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Using with an iPod Touch, no amp

Cheers

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 4
If you don't like microphonics, use a shirt clip. This will greatly reduce the cable noise, and keep the cable in place.

Out of your choices, I would go for:

The Maximo iM-590 if you want a balanced sound signature.

The Klipsch S4 if you want a warm (tipped towards mids and bass) sound signature.

Or the Etymotic MC5 if you want a bright (tipped towards mids and highs) sound signature. If you can manage, I would highly recommend the Etymotic ER-6i over the MC5. The ER-6i also has the bright sound signature.

Note: I don't listen to music similar to what you listen to, so I don't know what type of sound signature you are looking for.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Of those that you listed, the Meelec M6 gets my vote.  (disclaimer - have only listened to the M6 and the im-590 from your list.)

M6 wins in comfort and stays absolutely planted when exercising.  Whether you like the sound signature better than the others is a toss-up.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 4
How bout the original Monster Turbines? You should be able to find a used/open box pair on Amazon no problem. Careful not to buy fakes though. I've heard great things about the S4's though. And you can get those new for $80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back