IEM's < $500 Monster Pro Gold, Monster Miles Davis, SM3, Westone 4, Sennheiser IE80
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Left are the:
- Monster Pro Copper
- JVC FX700
- Westone 4

Hmm, how are the mids/highs from the JVC's compared to the Pro Coppers and Westone's? In terms of - crispy and clarity?  And is the separation/depth is good on the JVC's?

Which of those 3 would you recommend me? Keep in mind, I like a lot of bass, but also want good instrument separation and clarity and crispness in the mids and highs.

Please don't add any other options, I just want 1 out of these 3.

dude!!  if u want bass as well as a good separation go for the Turbine Pro Coppers..  since it shares a decent amount of ur needs.  Although the perfect solution at this point would be the westone 4.... i  didn't recommend u the 4"s cuz a bass lover will never get satisfied with the westone bass concept.. ( quality over quantity )   

at the end of the day ur choices would be   ---    Turbine copper ( great bass controlled but slightly boo-my / flashy / Decent separation / a live and a creamy mid range /  any gen-er of music wold be its meal.. only down fault is its small plate like sound stage ... ) 

--  westone 4  ( a good bass resolution as well as awesome control over. Not flashy as the coppers though / A warmer mid range / dominating any kind of music easily due to its flatish presentation / great separation ( almost the best on a universal )  0 down faults.. ( but for u bass will be a - point )

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #17 of 28
The JVC FX700 are very detailed in mids, highs and can compare to highend IEMs with deep reverbing bass and not many IEMs can offer that deep reverb in bass region, it also has fairly wide soundstage, good instruments separation and imaging. On other hand Demon C300 has greater bass punch like UE5EB or even more and surprisingly it,s very detailed and has huge soundstage like Sennheiser IE8 but the downside they are big and some may have issues to insert them.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 28
okay I REALLY want to get the JVC FX700's but they're only available in Japan. Due to the strict customs in my country it will take very long until I get them AND I will have to pay A LOT of import costs/taxes AND I won't have warranty.

The Monster Turbine Coppers are available in my country though so I'm thinking of getting those. But - from what I read - the JVC's are MUCH better in instrument seperation, width in sound and sparkle on highs... Bass might be the same as the Coppers, but still...

And besides, Monster gives warranty, JVC's  don't.

But yea, is the width of the sound, the instrument separation and the clarity & sparkle on the mids/highs really that 'bad' on the Coppers compared to the JVC FX700's?

I mean, I don't wanna spend $300 on something that is not really 'it'.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 28
The imaging, instruments separation and soundstage size are two different things, IMO JVC FX700 offers fairly wide soundstage and good imaging, instruments separation but not W4, EX1000, UM3X levels imaging and instruments separation. Also please list the IEMs available in your country, so it's easy to recommend. BTW if FX700 are not available then UE TF10Pro are great IEMs for both fun to listen and audiophile grade details revealing type soundsignature with wide soundstage, tight punchy bass and good separation.

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:
But yea, is the width of the sound, the instrument separation and the clarity & sparkle on the mids/highs really that 'bad' on the Coppers compared to the JVC FX700's?

I had the MTPCs for a while but sold them when I got the JVCs. I didn't compare them that much to each other, but to me the main difference was that the Monsters just sounded a bit muddy after using the JVCs. Like that infamous veil had been placed over the music removing some details all over the spectrum. It's not that the Monsters are bad, it's just that the JVCs are better. To me at least.

On the other hand I had an easier time getting a good seal with the Monsters, and they do isolate slightly better as well. So if that is a factor I suppose you should go for the Monsters.

Bottom line: you can definitely be very happy with the Monsters. There's always something (slightly) better out there. That is both the blessing and the curse of this hobby. The JVCs might be better to me, but they might not be better to you. If you're worried about spending the money it might be better to go with what's easily available.

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #22 of 28
+1 for the FX700's!!

although... the JVC FXZ 100/200's are coming out soon and they look awesomeeee...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200

I'm in a conundrum because I lost my fx700's, so I'm either buying those again (because I absolutely LOVE them) or waiting for more impressions on the FXZ 200's and grabbin those... hmmmmmmmmm

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #23 of 28
Okay here´s a thread update.

I was hesitating between the JVC FX700 or Sony EX1000 and decided to buy the Sony EX1000´s  because most people said they were slightly better than the JVC´s.

I received them today but I personally think the quality is awful. There is literally no bass at all and the highs are way too sharp. In order to hear a tiny little bit of bass you have to turn up the volume so much that the highs become very dominating and annoying.  But yea, even with a high volume, there´s still no bass.

These are definitely gonna be returned to the store.

Any other ideas? Are the Monster Gold, Copper or Miles Davis a better option for me then?  I really need more bass compared to these Sony's because these were awful.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Okay here´s a thread update.

Any other ideas? Are the Monster Gold, Copper or Miles Davis a better option for me then? I really need more bass compared to these Sony's because these were awful...

Have you considered the vsonic GR07 ?

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 28
Okay. Thread can be closed. Here's the result:

I bought the Sony EX1000. They had a lot of clarity but its sound was too sharp and harsh on the highs, which irritated me at a normal volume. Also, apparently I'm a basshead and these Sony's really had like 'no bass at all!'. The kick drum sounded like a snare drum to me. I returned the Sony's to the store.

Then I bought the Turbine Golds, Turbine Coppers and Sennheiser IE80.  I tested all three of them side by side and the Monsters were not comparable with the Sennheiser. Both Monsters had a great bass to me (more bass than the Sennheisers) but both the Monsters sounded way too dull to me. The mids/highs did not sound clear.
People say the Golds have more bass than the Coppers. To me it sounded the Coppers had more bass than the Golds. Also, the Coppers had a bit more clear to me in terms of mids/highs, but still in noooo way comparable to the Sennheiser.

The sennheiser had a bit less bass (even with the bass screw turned all up), but still a very good and nice bass (especially compared to the Sony's which did not have bass at all in my eyes). The IE 80 also sounded clear and crisp on the mids and highs. Instruments are seperated very well and the sound sounds clear.

So for me it was obvious: I'm now a happy owner of the Sennheiser IE80 and the Monsters are returned to the store.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
Okay. Thread can be closed. Here's the result:

I bought the Sony EX1000. They had a lot of clarity but its sound was too sharp and harsh on the highs, which irritated me at a normal volume. Also, apparently I'm a basshead and these Sony's really had like 'no bass at all!'. The kick drum sounded like a snare drum to me. I returned the Sony's to the store.

Not sure why, but I guess you got no good ear seal like some other headfi members. Sony EXK1 got one of the best, deepest and balanced bass sections of any IEMs, and the highs are getting smooth in short time.
Got my 2. pair EX1k and they are as perfect as the first one, and for me definetly better than my IEs. (So, I like the the Senns pretty much, and they are still one of the best in overall quality, and one of the rare breed that can give you good soundstaging).

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
Westone 4 would be the best choice here for u...  + IE80 is not muddy at all..  its one of the best iems if u do the ISO-Tape mode 
gs1000.gif

Any links to description how to do it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back