iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,778 of 4,252
  Anybody else have their iFi BL knocked off the usb grid because of the latest Windows10 update? x( 

EDIT: Reverting to usb driver 2.23 from 2.26 did the trick for me, I'm back up! :) 

You just have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it as instructed because new USB drivers makes it think you plugged it in a new slot.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,779 of 4,252
My review of BL unit as one of US west group has up, and the unit has been sent back.
I am the last one in the group, so that concludes the tour of west group.

Thanks Lawrance to give me the chance to test  this great dac/amp, really nice product.

See my review here.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,780 of 4,252
Anyone use the BL with an iCAN SE? Is there a significant improvement over the built in amp?

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,781 of 4,252
Anyone use the BL with an iCAN SE? Is there a significant improvement over the built in amp?

I use my iDSD BL frequently with my Micro stack (iTube2 > iCAN SE) and find a very definite step up from the iDSD BL itself (which I really enjoy!!).  You can see my quick thoughts here.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,782 of 4,252
I imagine the iTube has something to do with it. Mine certainly does to my chain. Did u try it from BL direct to iCAN SE? Does it differ much from the BL's own head out?

I use my iDSD BL frequently with my Micro stack (iTube2 > iCAN SE) and find a very definite step up from the iDSD BL itself (which I really enjoy!!).  You can see my quick thoughts here.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,783 of 4,252
I imagine the iTube has something to do with it. Mine certainly does to my chain. Did u try it from BL direct to iCAN SE? Does it differ much from the BL's own head out?

Only briefly (as I prefer the sonic tuning you can achieve with the iTube in the chain), but yes, it was a noticeable improvement over the iDSD BL's amp section.  

You also get more subtle XBass/3D, which IMO is a benefit.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,784 of 4,252
Thank you. I was hoping the BL could be the one box solution for me but sounds like I would still end up using 2 boxes, or 3 like your set up.

Only briefly (as I prefer the sonic tuning you can achieve with the iTube in the chain), but yes, it was a noticeable improvement over the iDSD BL's amp section.  

You also get more subtle XBass/3D, which IMO is a benefit.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,785 of 4,252
Thank you. I was hoping the BL could be the one box solution for me but sounds like I would still end up using 2 boxes, or 3 like your set up.

I don't agree with that conclusion; there's always "better" in the world... the question is, what is "sufficient" for you?

For me, iDSD BL is absolutely sufficient. In fact, I use it standalone as much as I use the Micro stack. I don't feel cheated or otherwise enjoy my music less when listening solely to the iDSD BL; quite the contrary, in fact, I totally enjoy the standalone experience!

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,786 of 4,252
I don't agree with that conclusion; there's always "better" in the world... the question is, what is "sufficient" for you?

For me, iDSD BL is absolutely sufficient. In fact, I use it standalone as much as I use the Micro stack. I don't feel cheated or otherwise enjoy my music less when listening solely to the iDSD BL; quite the contrary, in fact, I totally enjoy the standalone experience!

True about the "better".

In any case, the BL is nice because of it's flexibility. It can be chained but it's mostly easy to carry and use on its own. I haven't felt the need to pair it with anything else yet. In fact, I sometimes miss its XBass sourcery when using my desktop gear. As an all-in-one solution, it is pretty good.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,787 of 4,252
That's very sensible advice. Thanks. I do find myself wanting to try different things so it's great to know the BL works beautifully when chained or on its own. That flexibility as @beowulf mentioned might be the biggest benefit for insatiable types like me. :)

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,788 of 4,252
That's very sensible advice. Thanks. I do find myself wanting to try different things so it's great to know the BL works beautifully when chained or on its own. That flexibility as @beowulf mentioned might be the biggest benefit for insatiable types like me.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got home from work after a day using it with the CA Andromeda, got home, plugged it to the USB3 cable I have on my desk, adjusted power to normal and turned IEMatch to Off and have been doing some comparisons of the Z1R and HD800 with a couple of new albums...

That's how flexible this thing is. So far I can't complain.
Regarding the popular Mojo, I heard the two recently and to be honest, can't really pick one I prefer in terms of sound. They're not all that different. With sound being simplified to "equal", then features/usability are next, and well, we know the Mojo can't come close at that.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #2,789 of 4,252
Versatility in the name of the game with the BL.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,790 of 4,252
Versatility in the name of the game with the BL.

This thing really is a beast as far as doing a lot, very well, in a transportable package. I used it the other night as a preamp into my pioneer sx1010, and loved it. I have absolutely 0 complaints about it thus far, I really don't know how you could improve this thing for the price it sells for, especially when it's on sale for 400!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back