iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
May 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #3,886 of 4,252
Fortuitously I didn't cancel my $200 Schiit order in time. For the first time I hear a DAC being clearly different. The basic Modi 2 sounds much fuller and more impactful than whatever is in the Micro BL. $100 versus $600. I tried the Micro BL in preamplifier mode to see if the Magni 3 is what's making the difference and I think it's the DAC. Wow. Strongly discourage factoring in desktop use when determining whether to buy the Micro BL. For much less money you can get a sound that is definitely different from your computer, unless you have an old computer. The issue I now have is whether that fullness and impact is too much... smdh.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #3,887 of 4,252
Fortuitously I didn't cancel my $200 Schiit order in time. For the first time I hear a DAC being clearly different. The basic Modi 2 sounds much fuller and more impactful than whatever is in the Micro BL. $100 versus $600. I tried the Micro BL in preamplifier mode to see if the Magni 3 is what's making the difference and I think it's the DAC. Wow. Strongly discourage factoring in desktop use when determining whether to buy the Micro BL. For much less money you can get a sound that is definitely different from your computer, unless you have an old computer. The issue I now have is whether that fullness and impact is too much... smdh.

Low end Schiit is warm and smooth, rolled off treble and yes, they will come as impactful, but honestly the detail, layering, can't compare to iDSD Micro BL.

Have you tried your iDSD Micro BL with the X-Bass turned on?

May 9, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #3,888 of 4,252
Of course I've tried the X-Bass. I don't really like either it or the 3D switch. I thought that perhaps something was missing from the Schiit stack in comparison but overall it sounds like an improvement, and unlike the Micro BL I can definitely tell I'm using a DAC. That's how incomparable the detail and layering is (initially switched from my computer and iPod + amplifier; could hardly tell the difference). I also can't differentiate the Micro BL from the Nano BL at the same volume. Think I'll return the Micro and keep the Nano just in case, but to your point I'll switch between the Schiit stack and Micro a few more times.

How much of a difference would Multibit make to the Modi 2? How does the Bitfrost compare?

By the way, the warmness and smoothness you refer to, kind of reminds me of what I heard from a Questyle CMA600I, a $1300 desktop DAC/amp. I heard a similar type of fullness and impact. Big contrast to the comparatively thin sound from the Micro BL. Leads me to believe portable has some quality limitations nothing gave a hint of.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #3,890 of 4,252
Of course I've tried the X-Bass. I don't really like either it or the 3D switch. I thought that perhaps something was missing from the Schiit stack in comparison but overall it sounds like an improvement, and unlike the Micro BL I can definitely tell I'm using a DAC. That's how incomparable the detail and layering is (initially switched from my computer and iPod + amplifier; could hardly tell the difference). I also can't differentiate the Micro BL from the Nano BL at the same volume. Think I'll return the Micro and keep the Nano just in case, but to your point I'll switch between the Schiit stack and Micro a few more times.

How much of a difference would Multibit make to the Modi 2? How does the Bitfrost compare?

By the way, the warmness and smoothness you refer to, kind of reminds me of what I heard from a Questyle CMA600I, a $1300 desktop DAC/amp. I heard a similar type of fullness and impact. Big contrast to the comparatively thin sound from the Micro BL. Leads me to believe portable has some quality limitations nothing gave a hint of.
Maybe your headphone is trash.

May 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,892 of 4,252
HE-400i, Aeon Flow Open, Edition X v2. Pretty sure it's not the headphones that explain the difference when switching from the Micro BL.
If you believe then its true for you until you stop believing. Enjoy.

May 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #3,894 of 4,252
There's nothing to stop believing. The headphones are a constant, the sound changes with the DAC. Sorry you dislike that. Enjoy your Micro BL.
Try this classic track. Which makes it sound better ?

May 9, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #3,895 of 4,252

May 9, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #3,897 of 4,252
Took this (micro bl) to a headphone meetup and listened to almost every headphone there including: Utopia, Lcd3, lcd4z, he1000, hd800. Never felt like or sounded like I needed more power, and got a few comments on how cool it was that I could just use it with anything no problem. Meet ups aren’t the best environment for nuanced listening but I do know the headphones listened like I’d read they would. Utopia was very detailed and energetic and LCD-3 was smooth and still detailed with a great amount of bass texture.

And then on the other side of the power spectrum, it powers the Andros without hiss, something that can’t be said for many amps.

Great versatility. Only thing I need to invest in is a balanced 4pin to 6.3mm adapter for these meet ups.

Still my favorite purchase. Cheers!
:beerchug:

May 9, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #3,898 of 4,252
Took this (micro bl) to a headphone meetup and listened to almost every headphone there including: Utopia, Lcd3, lcd4z, he1000, hd800. Never felt like or sounded like I needed more power, and got a few comments on how cool it was that I could just use it with anything no problem. Meet ups aren’t the best environment for nuanced listening but I do know the headphones listened like I’d read they would. Utopia was very detailed and energetic and LCD-3 was smooth and still detailed with a great amount of bass texture.

And then on the other side of the power spectrum, it powers the Andros without hiss, something that can’t be said for many amps.

Great versatility. Only thing I need to invest in is a balanced 4pin to 6.3mm adapter for these meet ups.

Still my favorite purchase. Cheers!
:beerchug:

Agree. The versatility blows me away. Andros? Check. HiFiMan planars? Check. HD650s? Check. Need a lil more bass or air? Check. Need an input other than USB?got you. Want to use an analog input? Ok.

May 10, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #3,899 of 4,252
For those of you with the Æons, do you use Eco or Normal? These headphones seem to benefit from the greater power of the normal setting but with their low impedance I’m only turning the volume control to 8-9 o’clock. Still, it sounds better to me on normal.

May 11, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #3,900 of 4,252
For those of you with the Æons, do you use Eco or Normal? These headphones seem to benefit from the greater power of the normal setting but with their low impedance I’m only turning the volume control to 8-9 o’clock. Still, it sounds better to me on normal.
I use normal. Sometimes I have to get beyond 1oclock/ near max on eco mode so normal gives me some headroom, esp with the xbass enabled. If you are able to hear a difference because of impedence mismatch use the iematch switch. High sensitivity is ~2ohm and ultra is <1ohm I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back