iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 26, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,226 of 4,252
It definitely sounds different. Using my LCD2s right now. And Listening to Arch Enemy (metal). I'd say out of the BL it sounds more METAL! The Valhalla seems to add more mids. Now, I do have the 3D on with both units, not sure how that might be affecting the Valhalla sound. Let's turn it off and see. Wow, that's different. Mids went back to a more normal and acceptable level. Still talking about through the Valhalla. Think I like it better without with the Schiit unit. And I've been using the 3D all the time since getting the BL. Back into the BL without 3D. And honestly the sound is almost identical to what I was getting from the Valhalla. Hmmm. All this does is make me think I'm right in saying I'll probably be selling some stuff in the near future. One thing I love about the BL is the space, or lack there of, that it takes up compared to my other units. And seeing how good it sounds make me want to free up my desk of all this redundancy.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Indeed it takes quite a step up in amp to beat the internal one in the BL. I had used the iCAN SE and then added a iTube between them. Still I gravitate to using the BL on its own. It sounds awesome and as u say less space requirement, not to mention less cumbersome cables, power cords and wallwarts.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,227 of 4,252
I'm quite sensitive to too much volume, too much treble & high-end frequencies (as such, I listen at relatively low volumes).

I'm on a quest to achieve my "end-game" set-up, which will ultimately have to be a very "non-fatiguing" set-up.

My current set-up is as follows:
  • Tidal offline (aka: CD quality) -> iPhone 6 -> Fiio Q1 -> HD 600

My future upgrade goals are as follows (I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that these 2 headphones will likely be my best options re: "non-fatiguing"):
  • HD 650
  • LCD-2

I'm wondering which is the best portable dac/amp option for driving both of these headphones (HD 650 & LCD-2):
  • iDSD Micro Black Label?
  • Chord Mojo?
  • Any other options that I'm maybe unaware of?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #3,228 of 4,252
I'm quite sensitive to too much volume, too much treble & high-end frequencies (as such, I listen at relatively low volumes).

I'm on a quest to achieve my "end-game" set-up, which will ultimately have to be a very "non-fatiguing" set-up.

My current set-up is as follows:
  • Tidal offline (aka: CD quality) -> iPhone 6 -> Fiio Q1 -> HD 600

My future upgrade goals are as follows (I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that these 2 headphones will likely be my best options re: "non-fatiguing"):
  • HD 650
  • LCD-2

I'm wondering which is the best portable dac/amp option for driving both of these headphones (HD 650 & LCD-2):
  • iDSD Micro Black Label?
  • Chord Mojo?
  • Any other options that I'm maybe unaware of?
Either one of those is fine. IMO if you plan on using these strictly as a portable setup go with the mojo. Transportable go with the iDSD.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #3,230 of 4,252
Transportable is sufficient. I'll never leave the house with this set-up, but I do need to have the option of moving around the house while listening.
Some people have complained about the reliability of the microusb connection of the Mojo and other portable DACs with a microusb connection becoming loose or damaged over time. The BL having having a USB A male port is sturdier and more durable. Just something to keep in mind.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #3,231 of 4,252
Hi everyone,

Just created an account on HeadFi but have been lurking for a few months. Recently I bought de iDSD BL and I'm using it with my AK70 DAP. Since then I have listen to my music for at least 1 hour a day :.)
It's a super combo but I really wished the AK70 had two sd slots because I want access to more music without swapping cards. I could use my Opus #1 (has two slots) but it has no DoP. Besides that, I can't find a short mini toslink cable anywhere (unless very, very expensive) so I'm letting that one go.

Just like TheEldestBoy I'm using this setup for in-house only. I listen on the couch, in bed or behind my computer. I'm glad I went for a transportable setup instead of a fixed one :.)

* Changed cough to couch

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #3,232 of 4,252
Has anyone tried to get a oneplus 3t or 3 working with the BL?

Jul 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,234 of 4,252
Has anyone tried to get a oneplus 3t or 3 working with the BL?

I did. It works, just strangely not out of the box (at least when I had it). There's a usb audio out setting you have to enable, which is not usual on Android phones. Main point - it does work, lol.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #3,236 of 4,252
Not sure what happened but I was disappointed it wasn't there. What really got me bothered was the lack of response by iFi's support team. I love their products as I have the Pro series as well as the iDSD BL and they are all outstanding. The iDSD BL drives all of my cans. It really is a miniature Pro iCan minus the last minute resolution, details and clarity that the Pro series has.

You have a PM! :)

We'll look into your problem and help you, no worries!

To everyone else, enjoy your weekend folks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,237 of 4,252
You want to give up on your Mi Max ?...

Its more like i was waiting for the Mi Max 2.. they came out with a 64 gig model. I want something with at least 128 ROM and expandable mSD slot with 256 gigs compatibility. Ok maybe i am getting ahead of myself. :)
I currently have the OP 3T and thats why i was asking about it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #3,238 of 4,252
Its more like i was waiting for the Mi Max 2.. they came out with a 64 gig model. I want something with at least 128 ROM and expandable mSD slot with 256 gigs compatibility. Ok maybe i am getting ahead of myself. :)
I currently have the OP 3T and thats why i was asking about it.

Oh, I see!

I'll get Mi Max 2 soon and will let you know how it works.

I might need another otg cable for it since it is USB-C

At any rate, I am quite disappointed in Mi Max 2 as well as far as specs go, but it has the same display and will sport even more battery than Mi Max , so using it with iDSD BL will provide even more hours of joy!

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,240 of 4,252

Users who are viewing this thread

Back