iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 2, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #3,106 of 4,252
I just got the black 2 days ago through the latest Adorama sale. And I have to say, it has quickly impressed me to the point I'm debating selling some of the larger desktop units I have. I can't get over how well it drives all my headphones, and the sheer diversity of uses it has. I initially bought it for my DAP, but after having it plugged into my PC the last 2 days I'm not so sure that's what it's main use will be. The XBass is a bit over the top for my liking, but I love the 3D setting. I just can't get over how something this small does so much so well.
XBass pushed the sub bass and not the mid or upper bass.

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,107 of 4,252
XBass pushed the sub bass and not the mid or upper bass.

It depends both on the response shape of the headphones in use and also the genre of music you are listening to. I have a music collection spanning 6 decades and all genres and the variation in bass quantity is huge. Without my iCAN I would need to own at least three flagship headphones instead of just the one depending on what I want to listen to.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,108 of 4,252
It depends both on the response shape of the headphones in use and also the genre of music you are listening to. I have a music collection spanning 6 decades and all genres and the variation in bass quantity is huge. Without my iCAN I would need to own at least three flagship headphones instead of just the one depending on what I want to listen to.
Im using the TH900.

Jul 2, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #3,109 of 4,252
Ah, so that's what it's for. I was wondering too.

Glad to help!

I just got the black 2 days ago through the latest Adorama sale. And I have to say, it has quickly impressed me to the point I'm debating selling some of the larger desktop units I have. I can't get over how well it drives all my headphones, and the sheer diversity of uses it has. I initially bought it for my DAP, but after having it plugged into my PC the last 2 days I'm not so sure that's what it's main use will be. The XBass is a bit over the top for my liking, but I love the 3D setting. I just can't get over how something this small does so much so well.

Oh yes, this was my reaction as well when I first tested iDSD BL!

This device can do more than full desktop-class DACs and AMPs can do and even more. Quite incredible to be honest and there is a good reason it is the benchmark device for all reviews I write.

iDSD BL also looks beautiful in photos! Placed next to other photogenic devices, it is a truly beautiful device to behold.

1ePeHEoh.jpg

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,110 of 4,252
Must refrain from cursing....I may have gotten too excited about the ifi too quickly. Took it out with me to use with my tablet, but forgot to bring a adapter plug for my headphones, so didn't use it after all. Came home, hooked it back up to my PC, and there's a problem. There's hardly any sound coming out of the right side. I have full volume from the left, and maybe a quarter or 1/8th that from the right. I've tried my other amps and such, and they all sound normal. With headphones or feeding my speakers, same thing going on. Tried flipping any and all switches on the ifi, with no real difference happening. Any suggestions before I have to use my warranty?

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #3,111 of 4,252
Must refrain from cursing....I may have gotten too excited about the ifi too quickly. Took it out with me to use with my tablet, but forgot to bring a adapter plug for my headphones, so didn't use it after all. Came home, hooked it back up to my PC, and there's a problem. There's hardly any sound coming out of the right side. I have full volume from the left, and maybe a quarter or 1/8th that from the right. I've tried my other amps and such, and they all sound normal. With headphones or feeding my speakers, same thing going on. Tried flipping any and all switches on the ifi, with no real difference happening. Any suggestions before I have to use my warranty?

Open a support ticket: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,112 of 4,252
For people who use it with a smartphone (android) what app do you use while paring the phone with iDSD BL?

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #3,113 of 4,252
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #3,114 of 4,252
Can anyone suggest a hard case for it? I'd like to carry it around in my pack without having to worry about it getting damaged. I know it's built tough and all, but this is a large investment I'd like to protect.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #3,115 of 4,252
Can anyone suggest a hard case for it? I'd like to carry it around in my pack without having to worry about it getting damaged. I know it's built tough and all, but this is a large investment I'd like to protect.
Pelican

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #3,116 of 4,252
pelican-1060-micro-case-with-liner-21.jpeg

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,117 of 4,252
Hi I posted a few questions on idsd black label vs jotunheim as a desk top dac amp and im pretty much decided on the idsd apart from 2 queries that I wonder if anyone can help me with, firstly does it run powered from laptop, i e not using battery and if so is it good to do this for sound ?
also should I be using the battery to prevent long term problems or safe to never use battery on its own.
Secondly is the cable and connections supplied with the idsd to plug straight to laptop usb? .
Also is usb 2.0 sufficient?
As I said im pretty much sold on the idsd for reported sound quality compared to the jotunheim but just uncertain about the technical connections and the use of never or hardly using the battery.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,118 of 4,252
Hi I posted a few questions on idsd black label vs jotunheim as a desk top dac amp and im pretty much decided on the idsd apart from 2 queries that I wonder if anyone can help me with, firstly does it run powered from laptop, i e not using battery and if so is it good to do this for sound ?
also should I be using the battery to prevent long term problems or safe to never use battery on its own.
Secondly is the cable and connections supplied with the idsd to plug straight to laptop usb? .
Also is usb 2.0 sufficient?
As I said im pretty much sold on the idsd for reported sound quality compared to the jotunheim but just uncertain about the technical connections and the use of never or hardly using the battery.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

USB connections in the package are more than sufficient

Don't worry about the battery, iFi implemented a solution for this. If I'm not mistaken, you just have to make sure that you start spinning the wheel after you plug in the USB cable, so it runs from USB power.

It can run directly from the laptop, it stops charging at ~70% or so and protects the batter if you're using it as a desktop DAC solution all the time.

Hope this helps!

P.S. - I am enjoying it right now, super awesome sound!

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #3,119 of 4,252
looking to buy one of these and i am having zero luck finding it in India. If i order from abroad its going to be charged customs at 44%. I seem out of luck with this one.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #3,120 of 4,252
looking to buy one of these and i am having zero luck finding it in India. If i order from abroad its going to be charged customs at 44%. I seem out of luck with this one.

Yikes! Does it apply only if the good exceeds a certain value? That's the case in Singapore. (I think I'll stop complaining about import taxes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back