iBasso opamp rolling
Dec 1, 2010 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chris13

New Head-Fier
Hello all

I plan to buy a P4 amp (to be used with iPhone 4 + Denon D5000).
I wonder about opamp rolling:
- how sound the default opamp setup?
- is there an ideal opamp setup? is it related to the headphone to driven?
- what could be a opamp setup for a neutral sound?
- any other suggestions / ideas are welcome!!
Thanks

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 8
The opamps included with the P4 provide quite a number of different combinations.  All have been selected by iBasso for good performance in the P4.  I think it is impossible to suggest and ideal opamp combination, as it depends so much on ones personal preferences.  Yes, the headphones are a factor in the selection of an opamp combination that is synergistic with the phones.

I considered developing a Topkit for the P4, but iBasso has already included one of my LR Topkit combinations, so there is no need for me to change that.  I will simply be making a supplemental kit available as an addition to the factory rolling kit.

If one doesn't need a DAC/Amp, the P4 is an excellent choice, as it offers an almost infinite number of opamp combinations and with the use of the stock buffers, it has the ability to drive nearly any dynamic phone to satisfying volume levels.   It is well-designed and uses very high-quality components. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Is there a video on how to roll opamps?  I tried to do this myself and had no idea what I was doing, and had to revert back to the original configuration.  That took me hours of fumbling....and stress.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Is there a video on how to roll opamps?  I tried to do this myself and had no idea what I was doing, and had to revert back to the original configuration.  That took me hours of fumbling....and stress.

It's easier than it seems. Let me find you something one sec

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Here's a decent video, it's pretty much this simple. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46QoCeD_du8

This is from user HiFlight which I bought opamps from for the PB2

Erich...

You should receive the opamps by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Usually takes 3 days in the US. Below is a pix of the sockets that are used with the 2 extra opamps I am enclosing. The number one pin end will be painted white. This end points toward the side with the green volume control. These opamps are DIP style and will be bigger than the others and do not require an adapter as do the LME49990 and HA5002 opamps.

The HA5002 and LME49990 adapters will have this small square pinpad and white marking. These also point toward the right side of the amp.

I will also include the instructions that I send out with the PB2 Topkit. They are appropriate for the extra 2 DIP opamps.

With the LME49990 and HA5002, all sockets will be filled. With the 2 extras, only the center sockets as shown in the pix will be used.

Not as complicated as it sounds, once you see the inside and read the instructions.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Here's a decent video, it's pretty much this simple. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46QoCeD_du8

This is from user HiFlight which I bought opamps from for the PB2

Erich...

You should receive the opamps by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Usually takes 3 days in the US. Below is a pix of the sockets that are used with the 2 extra opamps I am enclosing. The number one pin end will be painted white. This end points toward the side with the green volume control. These opamps are DIP style and will be bigger than the others and do not require an adapter as do the LME49990 and HA5002 opamps.

The HA5002 and LME49990 adapters will have this small square pinpad and white marking. These also point toward the right side of the amp.

I will also include the instructions that I send out with the PB2 Topkit. They are appropriate for the extra 2 DIP opamps.

With the LME49990 and HA5002, all sockets will be filled. With the 2 extras, only the center sockets as shown in the pix will be used.

Not as complicated as it sounds, once you see the inside and read the instructions.

kskwerl, this all was very helpful, especially the video, thank you!

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 8
could i chime in here and ask why? what differences does it make to the sound? does changing the opamps and what not give a more neutral frequency response? im actually trying to decide between getting an audioengine d1 or an ibasso d7, but i do own a jds cmoy that has a "opa2227p" opamp. whats this? is this easily replaceable as well? to what end? how would it be beneficial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back