iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Jul 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #901 of 1,733
I haven’t heard any hiss that isn’t present in the recording or possibly the source.

I heard a barely audible hiss on Amp 6 on the DX150, but that is gone on Amp 8.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #902 of 1,733
Cool. Coolcoolcool.
I'm considering unsubbing from this thread and re-joining in 2 months or so, after I heard the IT04s myself. You know, to spare myself from spoilers etc. One thing I'm afraid of is hiss. It's a weird thing.

UERR: 35Ω, No hiss. Nada, squat, zilch. Deafening sound of silence
UE7 Pro: 17.5Ω, hissy-fit pokémonster!
SE846 (white filter): 8~9Ω, loudest hiss out of all filters, but not as bad as UE7
InEar PP8: 34Ω, veerry slight hiss, didn't expect that. I assumed it will be totally black background
ASG-1Plus: 11Ω, SILENCE

What a conundrum. Silence on ASG-1Plus, annoying hiss on UE7, a higher impedance IEM.
I seriously hope my E17K doesn't spaz out with the 16Ω IT04s.
Well that would only means its time to say your goodbyes to your E17K :wink:

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #903 of 1,733
Second thought.

Does the CB12s come with an adapter that actually allow to use IT04 also on normal 3.5 jacks, correct?

I knew this could possibly lead to problems on the amp side, am I wrong?

A converter to convert a single ended socket to a balanced plug like this is fine, going the other way (Balanced socket to single ended) would be an issue as it would short the output stage of the device.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #904 of 1,733
A converter to convert a single ended socket to a balanced plug like this is fine, going the other way (Balanced socket to single ended) would be an issue as it would short the output stage of the device.

I always thought it was the exact opposite? you CAN go from balanced to single ended wire with the appropriate converter accessory (and yeah the CB12s that the IT04 comes with has an accessory exactly for that, and I used it, and it works fine :) ), while you CAN'T make a single-ended wire into a balanced wire just by adding a different converter plug .... I'd imagine that the accessory to convert from balanced to single ended simply grounds the L and R ground of the balanced wire together, while the single ended wire, usually NOT having 4 different wires, simply can't be made into a balanced wire...

At least, that was what I always thought :) ...

edited to add: lol, realized that you are speaking about converting the female single ended socket to accept the male balanced plug, not about converting a single ended wire plug to a balanced plug, so we're saying th esame thing, I guess :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #907 of 1,733
Good discussion, I was wondering the same thing about Balanced vs Single-ended connections. It seems to me like if the DAP manufacturer (Ibasso for example) made the appropriate converter accessory for their DX150 then you could trust the process, plug your cable in, and not worry..? Is that correct? (I'm sure there should be extreme caution used when buying converters individually I guess.) This is all in deep thoughts and consideration of the IT04 of course :)

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #908 of 1,733
I've asked this before and here's roughly how it works.

The ibasso(or any other) balanced jack to single ended jack works because the single ended ground isn't pulling any current.

A single ended jack to balanced jack adapter wouldn't work because the balanced negative poles are pulling current back from the iems. The negative poles are basically pulling an inversion of the positive poles' signal as opposed to a neutral ground.

Combining the L-negative and R-negative of the iem simply makes it a ground but you can't split an already combined ground back into L-negative and R-negative signal. It just gets combined into one large negative signal which will damage the balanced output.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #909 of 1,733
I've asked this before and here's roughly how it works.

The ibasso(or any other) balanced jack to single ended jack works because the single ended ground isn't pulling any current.

A single ended jack to balanced jack adapter wouldn't work because the balanced negative poles are pulling current back from the iems. The negative poles are basically pulling an inversion of the positive poles' signal as opposed to a neutral ground.

Combining the L-negative and R-negative of the iem simply makes it a ground but you can't split an already combined ground back into L-negative and R-negative signal. It just gets combined into one large negative signal which will damage the balanced output.

Thanks @seanwee, so it makes sense that the AMPs 6,7,8 that have recently came out can save space and only put one output (Balanced) to cover all inputs (with an adapter). I'm a little late understanding this but thanks for the info. :)

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #910 of 1,733
Paul just confirmed blue is back in stock. My order is now placed.

If you want blue, I'd suggest ordering quickly. Who knows how long they'll last this time....

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #911 of 1,733
Don't know. Silver with a silver cable just kinda goes with each other. Just saying.

HTB1EjdJgHGYBuNjy0Foq6AiBFXaw.jpg
:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #912 of 1,733
So i tried the IT04 with my ALO reference 8 cable and it's definitely a bright combo.

Had to switch back to the stock ibasso cable.

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #913 of 1,733
The silver cable I pictured above gives a cleaner clearer definition to the IT04 and that is in all regions of sound. It might come off as a bit brighter but for me the uptick in resolution was completely worth the cable. The great thing about the iT04 of course is the ability to cable swap. I havent tried a pure copper cable which should warm up the sound a touch but I have no doubts due to the clean base sound of the IT04 cables do and will have some influence on tone and imaging.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #915 of 1,733
So i tried the IT04 with my ALO reference 8 cable and it's definitely a bright combo.

Had to switch back to the stock ibasso cable.

It's going to be interesting to see once my silver cable arrives. I purchased one for my Oppo PM-3 some time ago and expected great things, however, using that cable with the Bimby/Asgard II combo was a bit much for me. Too brittle on the high end. I find the IT04 to be very well balanced with the stock cable but I would like to hear it with an aftermarket one as well. I'm always open to the option of increased resolution. And if it doesn't work out with the IT04, I can always try it out with the W40's. To be honest though, nothing is getting any air time right now aside from the IT04. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back