iBasso IT04 IEM, 4 Drivers. Enjoy the Music! Release: July 2, 2018
Jul 20, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #932 of 1,733
Ibasso can now be bought at Penon Audio.
Just put in an order for the blue/black ones. So now the waiting games begin!
Should be interesting comparing them to Fiio Fh5 wich i really really like alot!
You'll definitely enjoy the IT04. I'm still impressed with how well they fit in my ear.

Kudos to ibasso on this IEM.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #933 of 1,733
I PM'ed @Paul - iBasso and he gave me the option if getting the silver or wait for a week or so for the blue. I took silver and it arrived in 3 days.
Choose expedited shipping if you want it soon.

Ok, I'll give it a check too... Thanks for the hints (yes I already did choose the express shipping).

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #934 of 1,733
Yea i have no doubt abaut that. the only thing as you mentioned is the fit. I have trouble getting the it01to stay put in my ears,
but looking at Pictures of 04 they have a totally different ergonomics,so i Think they will be fine :)

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #935 of 1,733
Yea i have no doubt abaut that. the only thing as you mentioned is the fit. I have trouble getting the it01to stay put in my ears,
but looking at Pictures of 04 they have a totally different ergonomics,so i Think they will be fine :)
If you've ever tried the Westone W series it's probably the best fitting univeral IEM. The IT04 has much larger shell design but fits almost just as well.

My W80 and IT04 are the only IEMs that do not slip out of my ear canal.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #936 of 1,733
I have not tried the Westones,but own Nicehck HK6 and Magaosi x3 and i Think they have similar ergonomics. So fingers crossed :)
If you've ever tried the Westone W series it's probably the best fitting univeral IEM. The IT04 has much larger shell design but fits almost just as well.

My W80 and IT04 are the only IEMs that do not slip out of my ear canal.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #937 of 1,733
That’s not an easy one to answer really as even with all the different filters the R1 still presents differently to the IT04.
Overall though I would say the IT04 matches the soundstage that the R1 has, sound quality and preference will be harder to judge.
I use the pink filters on the R1 and need to try the others before making any proper comparison to the IT04.

I use the pink filters as well and really love the sound of the R1s. Any thought now on how these compare? The IT04s have received so much positive feedback that I'm tempted.

Jul 20, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #938 of 1,733
I pulled the trigger too.. but is It normal I had no email confirmation of the order?

I wrote iBasso already, but seems weird..
I received the confirmation just when they sent the package to me.
I contacted iBasso and they said: "Yours was shipped EMS. It would take a little longer."
But if I payed the 27$ like the others, why should I wait more than the others?
Unlucky :/

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #939 of 1,733
Quick question...is the silver one also carbon fibre or is only the blue/black one?

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #941 of 1,733
Ugh, I have to wait until end of Aug/early Sept. to get this. My wallet is hurting too much (damn recent purchases)

a few hours later:

"Ok boys. Just sold some gear. Time to get the IT04. This better be worth it and not pure hype" :D:D

Sandcastles at high tide.

A cookie dunked into hot coffee.

I'm starting a list of things which crumble faster than @Colors ' willpower. Feel free to contribute :p

To be fair, I can't blame you. They sound awesome and I'm reasonably sure you will be delighted with your purchase :wink:

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #942 of 1,733
I use the pink filters as well and really love the sound of the R1s. Any thought now on how these compare? The IT04s have received so much positive feedback that I'm tempted.
I used the pink filter too on the R1.

R1 has advantage on the lows where the bass just kicks a bit harder and deeper.
highs - I prefer the clarity/details on the IT04

If you switch to blue filter on the R1 then it's very much balanced like the IT04.

But IT04 has better overall clarity/detail.

This is my opinion on the IT04 even after about 20 hours of listening.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #943 of 1,733
I used the pink filter too on the R1.

R1 has advantage on the lows where the bass just kicks a bit harder and deeper.
highs - I prefer the clarity/details on the IT04

If you switch to blue filter on the R1 then it's very much balanced like the IT04.

But IT04 has better overall clarity/detail.

This is my opinion on the IT04 even after about 20 hours of listening.

I'd pretty much concur with this assessment!

I owned the R1 for a while, but ended up sending them back.
The blue filter with the R1 most closely matches the sound of the IT04, but I think the IT04 has a little more bass weight and presence (only compared with the blue filter!) and I find the highs on the R1 to sound slightly artificial and sharp in comparison. The IT04 seems to me to be a more balanced and 'audiophile' tuning overall.

Conversely, for the R1 with pink filters, the bass is massive. Personally, I found it too much; not necessarily in terms of quantity, but in that it definitely coloured the whole sound signature to me and bled into the mids somewhat, which is something I'm not a fan of, despite loving a powerful bass (bass in its correct place that is, lol).

On the other hand, I don't feel the IT04 is a bass-accentuated IEM at all (see my following post of impressions), and as such, comparisons with anything except for the blue filter would be like comparing chalk and cheese :)

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #944 of 1,733
Some up-to-date thoughts/impressions on the IT04 from a post I made on another thread:

So, by way of introduction, I'm doing some A/B testing between two iBasso setups:
1) DX150, AMP7, CB12s, IT03.
2) DX200, AMP8, CB13, IT04.

After quite a bit of listening (with a LOT more to come, haha), I'm not convinced/entirely on the same page concerning some of the descriptions I've heard flying round about the IT04, specifically with regards to its bass (e.g. things along the lines of "same quantity as IT01 and IT03, but more refined") and overall sound signature ("very similar to IT01 and IT03, best of all worlds etc"). Possibly I may have said some of those things myself, who knows? :D

I of course wish to stress that we all hear things differently and I totally respect the impressions and opinions of the many fine posters on here; this is just my own take, to add to the menu of impressions and to hopefully help those trying to figure out if it might be a good fit for them, sonically speaking :)

I personally don't feel that the IT04 has any accentuation in the bass region. It's tight and articulate, but I wouldn't compare the sound signature of the IT04 with the IT03 or IT01.

The IT01 was a fun tuning done extremely well; L-shaped, prominent bass and good levels of detail and musicality.
The IT03 has this big soundstage, and lots of detail which add up with everything else to making it seem (to me) only very mildly V-shaped.
It leans more towards the audiophile sound signature and quality for me (compared with IT01).

I really love the IT03 bass; for my personal tastes, it's the best-executed implementation of a low end that I've yet heard.
It never seems to bleed into the mids or colour the sound signature, but it IS always present, giving weight to the music, never letting it sound anaemic and can hit very hard and deep when called for, and bring out elements of timbre and tone (especially in bass and percussion) that others simply can't.

Conversely, the IEM that the IT04 most reminds me of is the Empire Ears Zeus XR.
The Zeus blew me away when I heard it at CanJam and was/is probably the best IEM I've heard so far to date (with the caveat that for certain genres, I would prefer the kind of bass you get from the IT03).
I felt it had incredible extension, detail and clarity, allied to a huge soundstage.
These are the kinds of qualities I'm feeling with the IT04 as well, and an overall similarity in tuning between the IT04 and the Zeus (compared with any other IEM I can recall hearing).

To be clear, I'm basing this on a one-off demo of the Zeus a year ago (albeit one that's indelibly burned into my brain!) and I'm NOT saying the IT04 is or isn't as good as the Zeus (if someone wants to lend me their Zeus, I'd be happy to further investigate how they compare and what they have in common, haha).

I'm also not saying that the IT04 is as bass-light as the Zeus! It's got that dynamic driver after all, and there's some bass presence there for sure, just in a much more mature, neutral-reference style sound with a tinge of musicality.

I think the things IT04 has in common with previous iBasso IEM's would be the big, holographic soundstage, separation, detail and clarity that I love on the IT03, but taken to a significantly higher level.
This is just my personal opinion, but I would say that's mostly where the similarities occur, and also where they end.

If you're looking for bass warmth and colouring like on the IT01, or strong bass capability and presence like on the IT03, I would caution you to try to demo the IT04 first (or be prepared to embrace something new and different!).
I've seen quite a few posts, that collectively seem to end up giving the impression that it has all the bass of the IT01 and IT03 ("all of your bases are belong to us" lol), but I am not really hearing it that way.

To me, iBasso have gone in a whole new, upwardly-mobile direction with the IT04 and I salute them for it.
I would just add a note of caution for those who might think it's essentially an upgraded IT01 or IT03; to me, it's a quite different tuning altogether.
I think it's an outstanding IEM that offers something approaching TOTL audiophile sound at a fraction of the price.

I think I will favour my IT03 for rock music. The IT04 certainly performs well here too, but I personally find myself missing the unique bass/percussive qualities of the IT03 (I think the IT03 have spoiled me, haha) and miss them in those kinds of songs.

Conversely, for acoustic, pop, EDM, hip-hop, classical, folk, jazz, alt-country, Bollywood and pretty much everything else, the IT04 are taking it to a whole new level and I am enjoying them immensely :D

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #945 of 1,733
Some up-to-date thoughts/impressions on the IT04 from a post I made on another thread:

So, by way of introduction, I'm doing some A/B testing between two iBasso setups:
1) DX150, AMP7, CB12s, IT03.
2) DX200, AMP8, CB13, IT04.

After quite a bit of listening (with a LOT more to come, haha), I'm not convinced/entirely on the same page concerning some of the descriptions I've heard flying round about the IT04, specifically with regards to its bass (e.g. things along the lines of "same quantity as IT01 and IT03, but more refined") and overall sound signature ("very similar to IT01 and IT03, best of all worlds etc"). Possibly I may have said some of those things myself, who knows? :D

I of course wish to stress that we all hear things differently and I totally respect the impressions and opinions of the many fine posters on here; this is just my own take, to add to the menu of impressions and to hopefully help those trying to figure out if it might be a good fit for them, sonically speaking :)

I personally don't feel that the IT04 has any accentuation in the bass region. It's tight and articulate, but I wouldn't compare the sound signature of the IT04 with the IT03 or IT01.

The IT01 was a fun tuning done extremely well; L-shaped, prominent bass and good levels of detail and musicality.
The IT03 has this big soundstage, and lots of detail which add up with everything else to making it seem (to me) only very mildly V-shaped.
It leans more towards the audiophile sound signature and quality for me (compared with IT01).

I really love the IT03 bass; for my personal tastes, it's the best-executed implementation of a low end that I've yet heard.
It never seems to bleed into the mids or colour the sound signature, but it IS always present, giving weight to the music, never letting it sound anaemic and can hit very hard and deep when called for, and bring out elements of timbre and tone (especially in bass and percussion) that others simply can't.

Conversely, the IEM that the IT04 most reminds me of is the Empire Ears Zeus XR.
The Zeus blew me away when I heard it at CanJam and was/is probably the best IEM I've heard so far to date (with the caveat that for certain genres, I would prefer the kind of bass you get from the IT03).
I felt it had incredible extension, detail and clarity, allied to a huge soundstage.
These are the kinds of qualities I'm feeling with the IT04 as well, and an overall similarity in tuning between the IT04 and the Zeus (compared with any other IEM I can recall hearing).

To be clear, I'm basing this on a one-off demo of the Zeus a year ago (albeit one that's indelibly burned into my brain!) and I'm NOT saying the IT04 is or isn't as good as the Zeus (if someone wants to lend me their Zeus, I'd be happy to further investigate how they compare and what they have in common, haha).

I'm also not saying that the IT04 is as bass-light as the Zeus! It's got that dynamic driver after all, and there's some bass presence there for sure, just in a much more mature, neutral-reference style sound with a tinge of musicality.

I think the things IT04 has in common with previous iBasso IEM's would be the big, holographic soundstage, separation, detail and clarity that I love on the IT03, but taken to a significantly higher level.
This is just my personal opinion, but I would say that's mostly where the similarities occur, and also where they end.

If you're looking for bass warmth and colouring like on the IT01, or strong bass capability and presence like on the IT03, I would caution you to try to demo the IT04 first (or be prepared to embrace something new and different!).
I've seen quite a few posts, that collectively seem to end up giving the impression that it has all the bass of the IT01 and IT03 ("all of your bases are belong to us" lol), but I am not really hearing it that way.

To me, iBasso have gone in a whole new, upwardly-mobile direction with the IT04 and I salute them for it.
I would just add a note of caution for those who might think it's essentially an upgraded IT01 or IT03; to me, it's a quite different tuning altogether.
I think it's an outstanding IEM that offers something approaching TOTL audiophile sound at a fraction of the price.

I think I will favour my IT03 for rock music. The IT04 certainly performs well here too, but I personally find myself missing the unique bass/percussive qualities of the IT03 (I think the IT03 have spoiled me, haha) and miss them in those kinds of songs.

Conversely, for acoustic, pop, EDM, hip-hop, classical, folk, jazz, alt-country, Bollywood and pretty much everything else, the IT04 are taking it to a whole new level and I am enjoying them immensely :D

Thanks for your feedback.

Saying anything remotely resembling Zeus XR is high praise.

From my short demo of it, the only thing in my experience/demo that's remotely resembles the XR is the Andromeda (its holographic level style imaging), the Empire Ears Hermes (it's like Zeus XR lite) and the Supra-II (just a tad of neutrality the XR gives).

Listening to Zeus XR is like drinking water from some remote spring in the alps somewhere fantasy-level thing. The sound is very pure and transparent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back