iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #4,861 of 14,593
20210309_094853.jpg

At last... a taste of mid headphone on the go...

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #4,863 of 14,593
That is surprising - two mids / upper mids forward signatures. Utopia alone is too much for me.
I don't hear the DX300 as mids / upper mids forward.
It is dead flat with excellent timbre and without a hint of glare or harshness.

As always for my ears.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #4,865 of 14,593
In case this helps, I really like the Cayin C9 added between my DX300 and Utopia...
That is a matter of personal preference I suppose and better headphone matching.

The DX300 is dead flat at least according to my ears and will not add any extra edginess or harshness or whatever negative to the Utopia.

PS - the unit is just a loaner so I don't have any kind of bias for or against it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #4,868 of 14,593
20210315_164219.jpg

Enlisted the U12T to my collection recently and the synergy with DX300 blows my mind. I love the DX300 sound so much that I decided to invest in a TOTL IEMs (U12T is the priciest IEM I've owned thus far). Worth every penny in my opinion. I have also demo-ed Dunu Luna, IER Z1R, and Ibasso IT07, and none really fits my preference.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,869 of 14,593
Enlisted the U12T to my collection recently and the synergy with DX300 blows my mind. I love the DX300 sound so much that I decided to invest in a TOTL IEMs (U12T is the priciest IEM I've owned thus far). Worth every penny in my opinion. I have also demo-ed Dunu Luna, IER Z1R, and Ibasso IT07, and none really fits my preference.

Did you also consider the U12T
I got the Solaris and love them but eager to try something like U12T/U18T or may even go for Solaris 2020
Also I have massive issues with fit I manage to get a decent fit with Solaris and very small ear tips but worried I might struggle.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #4,870 of 14,593
Did you also consider the U12T
I got the Solaris and love them but eager to try something like U12T/U18T or may even go for Solaris 2020
Also I have massive issues with fit I manage to get a decent fit with Solaris and very small ear tips but worried I might struggle.

I bought the U12T. It's in the picture 🙂 I chose it over IER Z1R (which I have a serious fit issue) and the Luna (whose level of resolution I did not like). The only IEM I wish I had the chance to audition in comparison is the MEST, but I will try to get hold of a demo soon.

U12T fit is perfect for me. It's also a very comfortable IEM and I bought some fitting Azla tips, which means the isolation is now even better for me. Highly recommend you to try out the U12T and hear your opinion.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #4,871 of 14,593
What makes the M8 a Rolex?

Have you listened to R8 or Sp2k? Wondering if you could compare to those, or how would you compare M8 sound against a burned-in DX300? Thanks
No offense but I did not find the M8 to be a Rolex. I simultaneously owned the M8, the SP2000 and the dx300. The M8 was too dark and bloated for my tastes. Yes it sounds analog and perhaps a bit tube-like but more like a pentode tube amp than a triode tube amp. Upper bass and lower mids blended unfavorably and lacked precision. The dynamics felt unnaturally overpowering most of the time. It is heavy and I suppose well built but the exchangeable sockets were more a pain than a convenience especially for portability. And the OS was terrible. The SP2000 is a marvel of detail and precision but too etched and granular for my tastes. To my ears there is a natural level of detail that I can perceive in a live acoustic environment but the A&K sounded strangely more detailed than that. Instruments felt too lit up from within with granular details exposed and each siloed in its own acoustic space without an organic sense of the entire soundstage being one cohesive musical event. The dx300 is the best blend of these attributes I have heard so far in a DAP. Natural attack and decay in a well defined, coherent soundscape. Plenty of great spatial cues. Perfect timing. Great air and layering. And tonally always accurate - which is perhaps the hardest thing to get right. Plus the user interface is better than anything I have tried by a long mile. I am also in the camp of those who like the wheel. I do turn the unit completely off when I transport it however. Add to that the possibility of swapping in new amp cards and I just can't see how this could be beat so I kept it and sold the others. Hope that helps.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #4,872 of 14,593
I bought the U12T. It's in the picture 🙂 I chose it over IER Z1R (which I have a serious fit issue) and the Luna (whose level of resolution I did not like). The only IEM I wish I had the chance to audition in comparison is the MEST, but I will try to get hold of a demo soon.

U12T fit is perfect for me. It's also a very comfortable IEM and I bought some fitting Azla tips, which means the isolation is now even better for me. Highly recommend you to try out the U12T and hear your opinion.
I noticed you have the ThieAudio Monarch in your signature.. Did you try that with the DX300? If so what is your impression of the sound signature?

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #4,873 of 14,593
Decided to give the DX300 another chance after my first unit developed a volume wheel fault.

I will be using it mostly with my Obravo Ra 21 C-Cu and MMR Thummim but also curious to see how it handles the Focal Utopia now that I finally have a cable with a 4.4mm termination.

Hopefully getting it on Wednesday!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #4,875 of 14,593
The problem with mine was that increasing or decreasing the volume led to the screen being locked/unlocked every other time.

I have my fingers crossed it is not a widespread issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back