iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 13, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #4,833 of 14,593
Ok then. Thanks again.
Decent headphones or IEMs will sound even better on a better dap, IMO. Even the Portapro by Koss sound very good on the DX300, IMO.

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #4,834 of 14,593

Saw this today. :p
The appropriate audiophile reaction to EQ

drake-no.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,835 of 14,593
Ok then. Thanks again.
Hi
Check this thread,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/luxury-precision-lp-portable-usb-dac-amp-w1-and-w2.949448
I just got this device too for my Andro Golds and am very happy.
It will replace my Paw S1.
No hissing, no EMI, very good transparency, stage and clean, dry bass.
Also Cirrus chip like DX300

But beware, for full sized cans DX300 or other full size DAPs are much better from my experience.
Another caveat: it doesn't support MQA if that counts for you...
Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #4,836 of 14,593
The appropriate audiophile reaction to EQ

drake-no.jpg
For me being an audiophile has more to do with trying to catch close to live performance or realistic rendering of music. If you think how complex and adaptive human auditory system is, adding the effects of psychoacoustics and age, and that there is zero perfect transducer out there (even the most expensive ones), and add to that the studio mix mastering differences (even different mastering EQs used in studios have their own contribution to the overall sound), this attitude is for me far from being audiophile. Being an audiophile should be more an awareness about how the music should sound.

Especially if you are using higher sampling and bitrate, being against EQing is more a religious belief than being realistic.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #4,837 of 14,593
I'm all for eq for the same reason. And I feel some headsets have alot of hidden potential that is lost to the tuning. That EQ unlocks.

Can be really dynamic and resolving.

Though I do it with digital EQ and nof analog EQ to minimize the complications and lessen unintended consequences.

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #4,838 of 14,593
And I feel some headsets have alot of hidden potential that is lost to the tuning.
I agree, EQ helps to unlock the full potential of the headphone. Anyway, all headphones out there are flawed in tuning in one way or another depending on the person, as our auditory systems are EQs themselves and effect how we perceive the sound.

I also use digital EQ, or a very subtle EQ on my desktop amp.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #4,839 of 14,593
Another possibility should be professional testing your hearing and to know wich frequency You have lost so You can maybe alterate a little that hz's or diminuish others.
Just to know if Your tuning Is going in direction of that original sound.

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,840 of 14,593
Interesting topic
Beyerdynamic is offering a solution for it's Bluetooth headphones, like the Bluetooth dongle of the Xelento Wireless IEM or Amiron / Aventho Wireless for eq tuning based on measured hearing loss on specific frequencies.
Unfortunately only for Bluetooth products see e.g this article
https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc...alised-SOUND-PROFILE-feature-in-MIY-App-work-

I had once both the Amiron Wireless and Xelento and can confirm that it makes a difference!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #4,841 of 14,593
Hi
Check this thread,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/luxury-precision-lp-portable-usb-dac-amp-w1-and-w2.949448
I just got this device too for my Andro Golds and am very happy.
It will replace my Paw S1.
No hissing, no EMI, very good transparency, stage and clean, dry bass.
Also Cirrus chip like DX300

But beware, for full sized cans DX300 or other full size DAPs are much better from my experience.
Another caveat: it doesn't support MQA if that counts for you...
Cheers
Why not the smaller DC04 ?https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/port...s43131-32bit-384khz-dsd256-black-p-14941.html

I am really very happy with it. And I don't need the 3.5 port just the 4.4 one! And drains almost nothing from my mobile battery compared to a full size DAP.
I enjoy it a lot. And since I don't have golden ears I find it more than enough. Compared to the direct sound from my Galaxy S10+ via 3.5 port it is night and day! I can feel, literally feel, the rumble when it exists and the image are amazing. Vocals are exceptional. More than enough power to drive the IT07.
Using UAPP in bit perfect mode.
So, for now, I cannot justify anymore spending money in a dedicated DAP (as I did with the Dx220).

Mar 14, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #4,842 of 14,593
Another possibility should be professional testing your hearing and to know wich frequency You have lost so You can maybe alterate a little that hz's or diminuish others.
Just to know if Your tuning Is going in direction of that original sound.
This is also one thing but often the hearing deterioration is a slow process and brain adopts. For example, mixing engineers develop an attenuation in the mids due to continuous close exposure to sound, but they learn it via experience how the mix should sound.

One example for EQ usage. If you have a HP which has calmer upper mids and lower treble (for example, T+A Solitaire P, which is my daily headphone) and if you are listening to mellow solo piano (like Chopin) you might all be fine with the tuning. But if you have a e-bass prominent jazz piece mix with a quartet, you may want a piano sound that can cut through the mix. In that case mellow upper frequencies might not be the best tuning. In that case I add a bell like 2 dB or a lower shelf -2dB, which gives me a different listening experience. Interestingly, it is not always the case. If I am listening to it after a long silence, I am completely fine with the tuning and my ear adopts easily. But after listening to a brighter mix, or if my ears are a bit tired, I feel like adding some.

So it is actually a complicated thing, and I rather keep an open mind about it and concentrate on enjoying what I am listening to.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,843 of 14,593
Why not the smaller DC04 ?https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/port...s43131-32bit-384khz-dsd256-black-p-14941.html

I am really very happy with it. And I don't need the 3.5 port just the 4.4 one! And drains almost nothing from my mobile battery compared to a full size DAP.
I enjoy it a lot. And since I don't have golden ears I find it more than enough. Compared to the direct sound from my Galaxy S10+ via 3.5 port it is night and day! I can feel, literally feel, the rumble when it exists and the image are amazing. Vocals are exceptional. More than enough power to drive the IT07.
Using UAPP in bit perfect mode.
So, for now, I cannot justify anymore spending money in a dedicated DAP (as I did with the Dx220).
So if this DC04 is really performing so well and showing no hissing on your Andromedas and with its super low impedance is not making them too dark and bloated in bass you can be happy.
For that price it is for sure a good dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back