iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 21, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,996 of 14,618
@gentzen .. I would say comparing the KC to DX300 is like asking which variation chocolate ice cream you prefer and your options are Moose Tracks or Death by Chocolate. Damn near the same thing but its the little extra decadence that wins out for me. The DX300 is Death by Chocolate.. Luscious and makes me feel like a Billionaire when I listen to Rick Ross.
😂 that's the nicest comparison I have heard lately.
You should write your own review blog if you are not doing it yet!

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #4,997 of 14,618
😂 that's the nicest comparison I have heard lately.
You should write your own review blog if you are not doing it yet!
I've thought about that a lot lately. Just really trying to refine my review/commentary style and nail down a list of songs.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #4,998 of 14,618
The DX300 has a wider, more open soundstage than the SR25, dynamics are better, and it delivers higher resolution. Sub bass may also go deeper. The SR25's midrange is richer to the point of coloration whereas the DX300 is more natural. Overall the DX300 delivers an easily-discernable higher end audiophile experience, and is also far larger, faster, with a vastly improved screen. If you plan on doing any streaming at all there is no comparison between them.

That said I much prefer the SR25 form factor for portability as I only use my DX300 at home. It always feels primitive to use after coming from the DX300 however.
Thank you!!!

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #4,999 of 14,618
Just updated my dc04 with the latest firmware (not easy to find...it's not at the "international" ibasso site!!! There's nothing there except the uac updates...that I don't use at all!!!).
The sound it's just amazing and drains nothing from my S10+ (<2.5% per hour playing local (microSD) flac files via UAPPro with volume at about 75%).
Sorry but I am very happy to have managed to keep the system simple, functional and extremely fun and enjoyable 😃.
Happy listening all.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #5,000 of 14,618
And yes, I can control UAPP playback with my Galaxy Watch 😃.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #5,001 of 14,618
Hi all - I'm considering one of these, but can't find the answers to a couple of questions I've got.

1. Can you load a fully functional Roon app on this? I've got Roon running at home, and am after something that I can use with this. I was considering A&K but after seeing how they finally implemented Roon (i.e. their DAPs show as an endpoint only, so you'd still have to use another device such as an iPad to select music and control playback!), I want a DAP that can works as a Roon player on a standalone basis.

2. What is the best way to use this as a transport only? I've got a Focal Arche DAC/amp next to my bed, and would like to use the DX300 to feed it Roon or Spotify.

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #5,002 of 14,618
Just updated my dc04 with the latest firmware (not easy to find...it's not at the "international" ibasso site!!! There's nothing there except the uac updates...that I don't use at all!!!).
The sound it's just amazing and drains nothing from my S10+ (<2.5% per hour playing local (microSD) flac files via UAPPro with volume at about 75%).
Sorry but I am very happy to have managed to keep the system simple, functional and extremely fun and enjoyable 😃.
Happy listening all.
Bought recently dc04. Awesome object. Where you found the firmware?

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #5,003 of 14,618
Hi,

Here: https://ibasso.cn/supports/firmware

You should give permission to your computer to download de files! Windows Defender detected as a virus! I gave permission to not consider it as a threat, downloaded and scanned it after download. There's no virus at all (of course).

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #5,004 of 14,618
Hi all - I'm considering one of these, but can't find the answers to a couple of questions I've got.

1. Can you load a fully functional Roon app on this? I've got Roon running at home, and am after something that I can use with this. I was considering A&K but after seeing how they finally implemented Roon (i.e. their DAPs show as an endpoint only, so you'd still have to use another device such as an iPad to select music and control playback!), I want a DAP that can works as a Roon player on a standalone basis.

2. What is the best way to use this as a transport only? I've got a Focal Arche DAC/amp next to my bed, and would like to use the DX300 to feed it Roon or Spotify.

Thanks!
Hi,

Can't help you on this since I'm not using Roon.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #5,005 of 14,618

Thanks!
Hi,
I am no Roon user either but if you were seeking to connect your Focal Arche through DX300 to the Roon network I guess that won't work as DX300 is no supported Roon endpoint.
Therefore the only way I see is putting some supported endpoint like an IPAD or Macbook or Rasperry PI etc. next to your bed and connect Focal Arche via Camera Connection Kit to it.
Then either use e.g. the IPAD directly or any Iphone/Android phone as a remote.
DX300 could possibly work as a remote too but is a bit too overqualified for that :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #5,006 of 14,618
If you are currently enjoying what you have and it checks all the boxes for you... get more headphones or IEMs that accentuate the positives.. I would say comparing the KC to DX300 is like asking which variation chocolate ice cream you prefer and your options are Moose Tracks or Death by Chocolate. Damn near the same thing but its the little extra decadence that wins out for me. The DX300 is Death by Chocolate.. Luscious and makes me feel like a Billionaire when I listen to Rick Ross.
Thanks for taking the trouble @Tex Irie, really appreciate it.

I am to some extent enjoying the DAP I have (PD2). Although basic, it is not too bad sound-wise especially considering the price and is highly portable, but I'm looking for an upgrade to something that provides more detail/clarity in retrieval and a bigger soundstage (as well as a bit more power) to properly exploit what my iems can do. Can't go for megabuck portables like SP1000/SP2000 or L&P P6, tho, so KC or DX300 seemed like good options for the price level I can afford.

I hear what you're saying about the two DAPs being comparable SQ-wise, but having a different sound flavour in your ears. Not being a fan of ice-cream myself (warped, I ken, but so these things go :ksc75smile:), I had to google your references, but I think I get the point. Do you ever listen to fairly engineered (rather than natural) music like electronica, darkwave, dark core or post-hardcore? I'd be very interested in finding out how that sounds on the DX300. I can imagine chamber music like suites, sonatas, etc., or small-band +vocals jazz must sound very nice.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5,007 of 14,618
Collected my DX300 last night. Now going through burn in and battery calibration.
Initial impression is it is dynamic, highs details retrieval is good.
However, does not sound as musical as my other Calyx M DAP.
Maybe got to let it complete the burn in process.
Hi, can you go in more details. I have a Calyx M and I am interested in Ibasso DX300. I would love to hear a more detailed response. Thank you!
@TonyStarks Any further comparison in-between the DX300 and Calyx M?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back