iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,966 of 14,596
I think there is a tendency for people to associate specific sonic attrinutes with each other, than do not necessarily go together or have one guarantee the presence of the other. It is similar to the mistaken stereotypes that healthy food must taste bad, that beneficial exercize has to hurt - good looking people aren't smart and vice versa... etc.

The fact that something is natural and musical and draws you in does not guarantee that it is missing information, or altering the signal in a bad way. We also tend to ascribe characteristics to gear when what we are really saying is that the specific piece of gear allows the specific attributes in the recording to come through....

Case in point, I think part of what makes the DX300 so enveloping and 'warm' is that it is very low in distortion and noise/artifacts, and that's what lets the natural beauty of the music come through. I have generally not been a fan of Sabre-based Dacs and DAPs,, not becuae the chip does all the work in determining the sound of a component, but more that designers, I think, try to play to the strength of a part, since that's what they think the attraction is. Dry is NOT neutral, analyic is NOT neutral. Detailed is NOT highly resolving. These are all terms that identify what aspect of the signal the gear disproportionately makes more salient.

Just my 2 cents. None of this is to suggest what anyone should seek or enjoy.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,972 of 14,596
Ha ha, reminds me when I forget to bring down the oversampling mode on my good old NFB20.2 :grin:

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,975 of 14,596
No biggie. I just switched over to Mango player, not full Mango mode. I did turn off wifi, since I am mostly doing stored content. The DSD thing is not an issue with Tidal or Qobuz via UAPP anyway, if i end up using it that way. I am using filter setting 5, and doing the charge-cylce thing-sort of, letting it drop to about 25% battery so far

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4,976 of 14,596
How would you guys say the dx300 chagnes during burn in ?
Currently at around 80hrs with my unit.
Started out sounding great, then a little harsh and raspy, seems to be coming down now imo.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #4,977 of 14,596
From what you describe: DX 220 Max which is still having the old Sabre tuning with all its advantages like superior clarity and separation as well as holografy and for some disadvantages like being less musical, but could be your thing eventually.
Though limited edition, heavy, transportable and not mobile, much slower than DX300 and recently not very much supported by Ibasso in terms of firmware updates after DX300 has shown up...
Yep, I thought the Max was up my street from having read this thread up as well as looking at reviews, but it's priced out of what I can afford at the moment, plus widely out of stock unfortunately. Thanks for pointing this out, though.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,979 of 14,596
Hi.
I now use iPhone SE +Lotoo paw S1+iem UM Mest and it has been a very important step in musical emotional enjoyment.
Do you think Ibasso DX 300+mest could improve musical experience?

greetings
Most definite Yes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back