iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Mar 20, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #4,952 of 14,596
Hi guys,

anybody has (or has had) the A&K Kann Cube and the DX300 and care to give a comparison in terms of sonic signature and SQ? I'd really appreciate some (subjective, I know) input, as unfortunately I don't have access to demo for either. Thanks for your time.

Mar 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #4,953 of 14,596
Hi guys,

anybody has (or has had) the A&K Kann Cube and the DX300 and care to give a comparison in terms of sonic signature and SQ? I'd really appreciate some (subjective, I know) input, as unfortunately I don't have access to demo for either. Thanks for your time.

I used to have the Kann Cube before the AK Alpha and Dx300. For what I remember, the cube had a more neutral dryer sound signature than the Alpha and DX300 while the Alpha and especially the Dx300 lean more towards musicality and enjoyment. The Cube was as good as the Alpha with hard to drive heaphones but too noisy from the balanced output with sensitive Iems. Both the Alpha and dx300 have a much blacker backgrounds plus they are lighter than the Cube. If you only have big hard to drive heaphones, you like neutral sound and you don’t mind an heavier dap you will be fine with the cube. Otherwise the Alpha and dx300 are better choices for all around use.

Mar 20, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,954 of 14,596
I used to have the Kann Cube before the AK Alpha and Dx300. For what I remember, the cube had a more neutral dryer sound signature than the Alpha and DX300 while the Alpha and especially the Dx300 lean more towards musicality and enjoyment. The Cube was as good as the Alpha with hard to drive heaphones but too noisy from the balanced output with sensitive Iems. Both the Alpha and dx300 have a much blacker backgrounds plus they are lighter than the Cube. If you only have big hard to drive heaphones, you like neutral sound and you don’t mind an heavier dap you will be fine with the cube. Otherwise the Alpha and dx300 are better choices for all around use.
Thanks a bunch for the input mate. I've taken notice that the DX300 seem to be much better for CPU/RAM, therefore, UI and Android APK (plus screen resolution), but I'm more into listening from local storage rather than streaming. My preference SQ-wise is for detail, instrument separation, big soundstage, good imaging and slightly bright sound (especially upper mids/highs) (which I find gel well with my music preferences, i.e. darkwave, dark electronica, post-hardcore and metalcore, which tend to be highly engineered rather than natural sounds).

Overall, as a package, it seems the DX300 is a better all-rounder (plus cheaper) than the KC, but, having followed the discussion on this thread, I was left with the impression that it has a darker, warmer sound, with slightly recessed upper mids/highs and slightly lacking in detail/separation. Maybe I misinterpreted things (easy to do as a lot of terminology is subjective). My iems are not hard to drive and aren't that noise-sensitive (DK-4001), neither do I mind the weight (in fact I like the "industrial" design of the Cube better). But I'm looking for something to up the ante (relative to my lower-end DAP) detail/clarity/separation/soundstage wise. Is the DX300 a match for the KC on those counts, from what you can remember?

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,955 of 14,596
Would you be able to elaborate on the Legend X pairing? Like how the LX feels to hear it and how it sounds with the DX300?

I listen "differently" than most Head-Fi-ers, so I don't think in terms of a laundry list of bass, mids, treble. I look to see whether something holds my attention or not, and whether it helps or hinders the illusion of the music performance taking place 'in front of me' or not. I like DD and coherence, but have always liked the sound of the Legend X, its exhuberant bass notwithstanding.

The OSLO cable is vert open and spacious and detailed, while still being flattering and a touch warm. People also think the DX300 is a touch on the bass-y warm side as well, so it would seem that these three combined would be a mushy, blurry mess... NOPE! It is a wonderful natural sound, not hi-fi at all-no hyper-detailed analytic sound here. The combo, for whatever strange, synergistic reason, keeps the bass more in line with the rest of the presentation-don;t get me wrong it is still big, potent, and has that scary rumble unlike alomost anything else, but it fits ini better. I have always found the Legened X to sound prett, or beautiful--this combo keeps that but adds quite a bit more realism to the mix. It is a very dfferent presentation than my A8000 plus Eletech Fortitude cable, which is more open, fast, and resloved sounding, but the Legend has it beat in terms of cavernous bass, and gives up little detail to it- the drivers blend well but there is no blend like no (need to) blend...

I am finding that the DX300 does lots of stuff really well, sonically and feature-wsie, and seems to make all of my iems souond like better versions of themselves, without homogenizing them. Great trcik, iBasso. (was not much of a fan of their earleir flagship 200 or 220, at least based on quick show listens). I think they broke the mold with this one.

Mar 20, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #4,956 of 14,596
Thanks a bunch for the input mate. I've taken notice that the DX300 seem to be much better for CPU/RAM, therefore, UI and Android APK (plus screen resolution), but I'm more into listening from local storage rather than streaming. My preference SQ-wise is for detail, instrument separation, big soundstage, good imaging and slightly bright sound (especially upper mids/highs) (which I find gel well with my music preferences, i.e. darkwave, dark electronica, post-hardcore and metalcore, which tend to be highly engineered rather than natural sounds).

Overall, as a package, it seems the DX300 is a better all-rounder (plus cheaper) than the KC, but, having followed the discussion on this thread, I was left with the impression that it has a darker, warmer sound, with slightly recessed upper mids/highs and slightly lacking in detail/separation. Maybe I misinterpreted things (easy to do as a lot of terminology is subjective). My iems are not hard to drive and aren't that noise-sensitive (DK-4001), neither do I mind the weight (in fact I like the "industrial" design of the Cube better). But I'm looking for something to up the ante (relative to my lower-end DAP) detail/clarity/separation/soundstage wise. Is the DX300 a match for the KC on those counts, from what you can remember?

Dx300 is not bright, more warmish but with huge 3d soundstage and excellent instrument separation (not sure where you read that instrument separation/details are no so good in dx300:)). Detail retrivals is also top notch but if you are looking for a neutral bright sound the Cube may suit your taste better. However, also consider that the Cube is not bright per se, just less warmish/musical sounding than both alpha and dx300. Nothing extreme though and, for example, dx300 is an incredible pairing even with warmish iems such as Xelento or Legend x.

Dx300 tonality is simply euphonic, it allows to lose yourself into the music which, for many people me included, it’s the final target of this journey.

It’s all matter of what you are looking for. If you need an analytical sound signature, the dx300 is not that:)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4,957 of 14,596

From what you describe: DX 220 Max which is still having the old Sabre tuning with all its advantages like superior clarity and separation as well as holografy and for some disadvantages like being less musical, but could be your thing eventually.
Though limited edition, heavy, transportable and not mobile, much slower than DX300 and recently not very much supported by Ibasso in terms of firmware updates after DX300 has shown up...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #4,958 of 14,596
From what you describe: DX 220 Max which is still having the old Sabre tuning with all its advantages like superior clarity and separation as well as holografy and for some disadvantages like being less musical, but could be your thing eventually.
Though limited edition, heavy, transportable and not mobile, much slower than DX300 and recently not very much supported by Ibasso in terms of firmware updates after DX300 has shown up...

Or dx220 with stock amp if on a budget

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,959 of 14,596
Dx300 is not bright, more warmish but with huge 3d soundstage and excellent instrument separation (not sure where you read that instrument separation/details are no so good in dx300:)). Detail retrivals is also top notch but if you are looking for a neutral bright sound the Cube may suit your taste better. However, also consider that the Cube is not bright per se, just less warmish/musical sounding than both alpha and dx300. Nothing extreme though and, for example, dx300 is an incredible pairing even with warmish iems such as Xelento or Legend x.

Dx300 tonality is simply euphonic, it allows to lose yourself into the music which, for many people me included, it’s the final target of this journey.

It’s all matter of what you are looking for. If you need an analytical sound signature, the dx300 is not that:)

yeah, I'd describe DX300 as warm-neutral. Like you, I found the soundstage to be exceptional and detail retrievals are flagship level. I owned the Cube before (sold within 2 months) and really tried to like it but couldn't stand the lackluster dryness (though quite detailed) of the sound. Not to mention the disastrous AK UI and fragile 2.5mm balance. "Euphonic" is a good word to describe DX300.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4,961 of 14,596
I listen "differently" than most Head-Fi-ers, so I don't think in terms of a laundry list of bass, mids, treble. I look to see whether something holds my attention or not, and whether it helps or hinders the illusion of the music performance taking place 'in front of me' or not. I like DD and coherence, but have always liked the sound of the Legend X, its exhuberant bass notwithstanding.

The OSLO cable is vert open and spacious and detailed, while still being flattering and a touch warm. People also think the DX300 is a touch on the bass-y warm side as well, so it would seem that these three combined would be a mushy, blurry mess... NOPE! It is a wonderful natural sound, not hi-fi at all-no hyper-detailed analytic sound here. The combo, for whatever strange, synergistic reason, keeps the bass more in line with the rest of the presentation-don;t get me wrong it is still big, potent, and has that scary rumble unlike alomost anything else, but it fits ini better. I have always found the Legened X to sound prett, or beautiful--this combo keeps that but adds quite a bit more realism to the mix. It is a very dfferent presentation than my A8000 plus Eletech Fortitude cable, which is more open, fast, and resloved sounding, but the Legend has it beat in terms of cavernous bass, and gives up little detail to it- the drivers blend well but there is no blend like no (need to) blend...

I am finding that the DX300 does lots of stuff really well, sonically and feature-wsie, and seems to make all of my iems souond like better versions of themselves, without homogenizing them. Great trcik, iBasso. (was not much of a fan

Need to try an Oslo cable with my LX. If I find one in Europe which is not easy :)

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #4,964 of 14,596
So you will end up using UAPP app for EQing Tidal/Qobuz streams.

Wavelet doesn't work on dx300, since the specialized Android audio setup seems to prevent it from accessing the resources it needs.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #4,965 of 14,596
When UAPP will be fully implemented for the DX300, then it'll be possible to stream Qobuz with Toneboosters EQ active.

Edit : beat to the punch :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back