iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #5,281 of 6,983
I downloaded and installed the most recent SW build... no change... still stops Tidal after 5 -6 min.

Turning off the screen manually does not help for me. It STILL quits Tidal regularly after 5 - 6 min.
Hi maybe try fidelizer or lurker ROMs? Do full reset before! Otherwise you can leave some configuration issues.

WIFI is poorly implemented/hardware/antenna in most of "china originated" producers. But ususally your WIFI network can help if you will assure good signal and avid overlaping WIFI on one channel. BTW Sony DAPs are rock as solid implementation WIFI and Bluetooth - I have both and I cannot image using headphones Bluetooth (LDAC or APTX-HD) with iBasso or HiBy :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #5,282 of 6,983
I downloaded and installed the most recent SW build... no change... still stops Tidal after 5 -6 min.

Turning off the screen manually does not help for me. It STILL quits Tidal regularly after 5 - 6 min.

However, using my iPhone as a personal hotspot, rather than my in-home WiFi, let me run for at least 10 min without interruption. I got interrupted by other things at about 10 min, but will try more later and let you know.

I also have another WiFi system from my cable company, Comcast. They sent it as an (unrequested) upgrade (or sidegrade) to allow us to continue to get certain sports channels (that we never watch, but are part of the package that we bought... one of the disadvantages to the company practice of bundling... getting new hardware for everyone with that package, whether or not they watch one of the 2 or 3 channels that changed and now require it!)

An answer to my query to iBasso said that I should try another WiFi system (hence my iPhone hot spot and the upcoming new Comcast box), and that the DX160 required more WiFi strength to work than the typical cell phone.

I will let you know whether the problem persists or goes away when I make that switch. Thanks!

This is a recurring issue, if you go back you will find the exact same issues mention by me.

I noticed that my wifi issues were only with my home wifi connection, using my smartphone as a hotspot no problem at all.

Despite the supllier deny any issue, after my my router has being changed and the problems stopped.

Regarding the screen off isues, I never switch off the screen manually and TIDAL works fine, maybe because I use luker mod. I'm very happy with my wifi connections and streaming.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #5,283 of 6,983
Hi maybe try fidelizer or lurker ROMs? Do full reset before! Otherwise you can leave some configuration issues.

WIFI is poorly implemented/hardware/antenna in most of "china originated" producers. But ususally your WIFI network can help if you will assure good signal and avid overlaping WIFI on one channel. BTW Sony DAPs are rock as solid implementation WIFI and Bluetooth - I have both and I cannot image using headphones Bluetooth (LDAC or APTX-HD) with iBasso or HiBy :frowning2:
Is "full reset" factory reset? Is there something else than factory reset to do?

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #5,284 of 6,983
@rimsilva , if I had noted your problems with stuttering WiFi, I likely would not have bought this iBasso DX160.

it looks beautiful, its display is beautiful, its user interface is easy and reliable, its sound is beyond beautiful.

But it stops and complains of connection problems with Tidal, both in the Tidal app and with UAPP.

This morning, I listened to Tidal in one spot with -60 dB WiFi strength according to WiFi Analyzer. Measuring with a stopwatch, it was 5 min and 35 sec, plus or minus just a few seconds, that the DX160 would run before stopping on Tidal MQA. Almost as if some buffer were filling and then overflowed. Pushing ‘RETRY’ on the error message would get it started... for another 5 min 35 sec.

I happen to have been sent a new Comcast settop TV box that feeds my WiFi router. I will try that and report back here.

Otherwise this goes back and I go for the Sony ZX-507, said to have inferior sound to the DX160 but great WiFi and Tidal capability.

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #5,285 of 6,983
@rimsilva , if I had noted your problems with stuttering WiFi, I likely would not have bought this iBasso DX160.

it looks beautiful, its display is beautiful, its user interface is easy and reliable, its sound is beyond beautiful.

But it stops and complains of connection problems with Tidal, both in the Tidal app and with UAPP.

This morning, I listened to Tidal in one spot with -60 dB WiFi strength according to WiFi Analyzer. Measuring with a stopwatch, it was 5 min and 35 sec, plus or minus just a few seconds, that the DX160 would run before stopping on Tidal MQA. Almost as if some buffer were filling and then overflowed. Pushing ‘RETRY’ on the error message would get it started... for another 5 min 35 sec.

I happen to have been sent a new Comcast settop TV box that feeds my WiFi router. I will try that and report back here.

Otherwise this goes back and I go for the Sony ZX-507, said to have inferior sound to the DX160 but great WiFi and Tidal capability.
Hope that new comcast can solve your problem.

As I mentionned my problems are gone and I'm happy with TIDAL app (use it mainly for Masters listening)

I Highly recommend to use Lurker mod also.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #5,286 of 6,983

Im having the same problems even with Lurker Add-on. WiFi and BT performance is very weak but I don't remember to have it this kind of problem.

Regarding the ZX507, no way it's inferior to the DX160. It's just a different flavour with a more analogue and warmer sound. Also its faster, have better build quality and very good WiFi an BT performance.

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #5,288 of 6,983
@rmsilva, what did you do to get rid of your Tidal Masters problem on your DX160?
Thanis!

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #5,290 of 6,983
I tried it with the new Comcast WiFi box. Same experiment at same place in the home as this morning, above. WiFi strength was a bit stronger (-58 dB rather than -60 dB).

Tidal failed after 6:00 min (vs. 5:35 from this morning with old Comcast box).

Did a Reset of DX160 WiFi/Bluetooth/Network.

So I sat myself down in front of the WiFi box, about 10 feet away. Signal strength now -50dB.

Tidal failed at 7:00 min.

Turning the DX160 changes the signal strength between -42 dB and -50 dB! This is just by pointing either the top or the bottom toward the WiFi source, from 10 ft away!

Tried changing from Auto select to manual selection of WiFi channel and chose one recommended by WiFi Analyzer.

Quit in 2-1/2 min.

I give up. I will order the Sony, return the iBasso, and be prepared to return the Sony if I get the same problems.

Darn!!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,291 of 6,983
Yes I meant factory reset.

When you do firmware/ROM change it is highly recommended to do factory reset just before. To make sure you have clean config.
BTW lurker is flash over existing firmware.
So this is the factory reset we can find in the parameters, right?

Feb 1, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #5,293 of 6,983
Submitted this review on the iBasso DX160 to Amazon, where I bought it...

After some research, I chose the DX160 with the understanding that it provided better sound and more output power than even the Sony ZX-507 40th Anniversary Walkman, at under half its price. The sound indeed was truly delightful, the user interface was prompt and easy, and the display had brilliant colors and fine resolution, though was a bit slow to respond to touch at times.

However, the player does not maintain connection with Tidal streaming for more than 7 min without complaining "There was a connection problem" and stopping the music. It offers a red "Retry" button (see picture), which restarts the music, but again, it fails within 7 more minutes. I have tried sitting just 10 feet from my WiFi source (excellent signal strength, -42 dB), I have tried using the UAPP version of Tidal, I have checked out Tidal via my same WiFi on my iPhone and my iPad, I have tried changing WiFi channels, I have even changed my Comcast box for a new one that happened to arrive, all to no avail.

This device, at least for me, cannot stream Tidal reliably. When it does, it sounds great, but for no more than 7 min at a time. Letter to iBasso got response to try other WiFi spots (I did, with new Comcast box and also with my iPhone as a hotspot) and that the iBasso WiFi receiver was not as strong as that for cell phone, but no useful tips. Advice on an iBasso forum suggested changing power management for the UAPP and Tidal app and to turn off the power during play rather than allow auto timeout. No effect.

Setup was rather difficult to start... there was no Google Play store to download Tidal... it has an unfamiliar app store called APKPure, which internet research indicates that is prone to phishing. Another app store on the device, CoolApk, was written in Asian characters. I ended up risking use of APKPure to get Google Play, then used Google Play to get Tidal, UAPP, and the WiFi Analyzer app. There is no instruction manual, either in the box or on the iBasso site.

What a disappointment! I am returning it and purchasing the Sony ZX-507, which I understand to have very reliable WiFi and Tidal operation, though less output power and possibly less exciting sound.

iBasso Connection Failure.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #5,294 of 6,983
Submitted this review on the iBasso DX160 to Amazon, where I bought it...

After some research, I chose the DX160 with the understanding that it provided better sound and more output power than even the Sony ZX-507 40th Anniversary Walkman, at under half its price. The sound indeed was truly delightful, the user interface was prompt and easy, and the display had brilliant colors and fine resolution, though was a bit slow to respond to touch at times.

However, the player does not maintain connection with Tidal streaming for more than 7 min without complaining "There was a connection problem" and stopping the music. It offers a red "Retry" button (see picture), which restarts the music, but again, it fails within 7 more minutes. I have tried sitting just 10 feet from my WiFi source (excellent signal strength, -42 dB), I have tried using the UAPP version of Tidal, I have checked out Tidal via my same WiFi on my iPhone and my iPad, I have tried changing WiFi channels, I have even changed my Comcast box for a new one that happened to arrive, all to no avail.

This device, at least for me, cannot stream Tidal reliably. When it does, it sounds great, but for no more than 7 min at a time. Letter to iBasso got response to try other WiFi spots (I did, with new Comcast box and also with my iPhone as a hotspot) and that the iBasso WiFi receiver was not as strong as that for cell phone, but no useful tips. Advice on an iBasso forum suggested changing power management for the UAPP and Tidal app and to turn off the power during play rather than allow auto timeout. No effect.

Setup was rather difficult to start... there was no Google Play store to download Tidal... it has an unfamiliar app store called APKPure, which internet research indicates that is prone to phishing. Another app store on the device, CoolApk, was written in Asian characters. I ended up risking use of APKPure to get Google Play, then used Google Play to get Tidal, UAPP, and the WiFi Analyzer app. There is no instruction manual, either in the box or on the iBasso site.

What a disappointment! I am returning it and purchasing the Sony ZX-507, which I understand to have very reliable WiFi and Tidal operation, though less output power and possibly less exciting sound.

iBasso Connection Failure.JPG
I had a router that did that. I changed to a new router and don't have issue now.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,295 of 6,983
I recently enquired about the recommended settings for UAPP given on GitHub (see link below), as altering the default settings for "HiRes driver flags" and "HiRes driver audio format" results in a warning from the app NOT to change anything. Lurker's reply was:

"That recommendation was written way before UAPP had implemented direct support for DX160. The recommended settings are exactly the same as UAPP sets automatically."

Thought I'd share this as it might be helpful for anyone else using UAPP with the DX160, either with or without Lurker's firmware.

https://github.com/Lurker00/DX200-f...recommended-settings-for-usb-audio-player-pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back