iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 2, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,296 of 6,983
Regarding the ZX507, no way it's inferior to the DX160. It's just a different flavour with a more analogue and warmer sound. Also its faster, have better build quality and very good WiFi an BT performance.
It trades blows and while I'd say its overall a tiny bit better than the DX160 if you like a warmer sound and superior bass performance, its not worth double the price imo.

I made a very thorough comparison here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx160-2020-vs-sony-nw-zx507-detailed-comparison.943528/

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #5,297 of 6,983
It trades blows and while I'd say its overall a tiny bit better than the DX160 if you like a warmer sound and superior bass performance, its not worth double the price imo.

I made a very thorough comparison here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx160-2020-vs-sony-nw-zx507-detailed-comparison.943528/
Plus, for us in EU (as I can't imagine uk versions will be treated differently despite Brexit) android Sony daps don't seem to have volume limit removal possibilities.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #5,298 of 6,983
For Batt. life & SQ, very very hard to beat @ its price point...
1612280850269.png

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,300 of 6,983
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #5,302 of 6,983
I agree about the sound quality, very impressed with mine. Battery life is not great though, that's why I was asking!
@ + 9 hours is acceptable in my book, as opposed to dx229 @+7 hours...

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #5,304 of 6,983

Fair enough. Probably not worth double the money, especially since the DX160 it's hard to beat at this price range. I really like the analogue and warm sound presented by the Sony app. DX160 it's more neutral and I love it with Neutron app.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #5,305 of 6,983
That's fair, mine is quite new and still settling in I think. Struggle to get much more than 6 on balanced at about 40 volume.

For me, I have been noticing that it depends on the type of file you are listening too. When I was listening to 192/24 bit ALAC the battery went down 9% in 40min, which at that rate is about 7.4 hours. When I listened to a mix of 96/24, 44.1/24 and 44.1/16 ALAC, the battery went down 20% in 120min which at that rate is 10 hours. This was all with the screen off, and wifi and bluetooth off on balanced at 40 volume.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #5,306 of 6,983
Is anyone using this with the Sony MDR-Z7m2? I've put this on the shortlist of DAPs that I am considering to buy but cannot audition unfortunately. Does the iBasso have enough juice to comfortably power these headphones and how is the synergy?

Looking forward to your insights, thank you!

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #5,307 of 6,983
Is anyone using this with the Sony MDR-Z7m2? I've put this on the shortlist of DAPs that I am considering to buy but cannot audition unfortunately. Does the iBasso have enough juice to comfortably power these headphones and how is the synergy?

Looking forward to your insights, thank you!
I haven't heard these headphones, but looking at the specs:

HEADPHONE TYPEClosed, dynamic (circumaural)DRIVER UNIT2.76", dome type (CCAW Voice Coil )MAGNETNeodymiumIMPEDANCE (OHM)56 ohms at 1 kHzDIAPHRAGMAluminum-coated LCP diaphragmFREQUENCY RESPONSE4 Hz–100,000 Hz
SENSITIVITIES (DB/MW)98 dB/mW

The DX160 should have plenty to push them. IIRC out of balanced the DX is pushing something like 1.2W.... Put it this way, I have listened to my HD700 (150 ohms) on this, and it drives them very well. I am at about half volume to be as loud as I can stand it (and I do like my music pretty loud sometimes). The DX can push 300 ohm headphones pretty well.

IMO this DAP has some of the most amp power available (for its price range). I'm sure there is something more powerful out there, but of the major competitors (eg... Fiio, Hiby, etc...) it is very high powered comparatively speaking.

As for synergy, I can't speak to that as I have not heard them, but I can make the generic blanket statement that the more detail oriented, and treble heavy headphones pair really well with the DX because it is slightly on the warm side of neutral overall. If these headphones are very warm to begin with, it might not be a great pairing.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #5,308 of 6,983
Thanks Samandhi, appreciate your insights. I've read elsewhere that the Z7M2 is not that difficult to drive but when I use it on my Fiio X5 it sounds lethargic. I'm sure though that the Ibasso will be much better in terms of output and having a balanced connection will also help.

I would't call the Sonys super warm but there is some warmth to them. And I kind of like a warmer sound signature so not expecting any problems with synergy.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #5,309 of 6,983
Thanks Samandhi, appreciate your insights. I've read elsewhere that the Z7M2 is not that difficult to drive but when I use it on my Fiio X5 it sounds lethargic. I'm sure though that the Ibasso will be much better in terms of output and having a balanced connection will also help.

I would't call the Sonys super warm but there is some warmth to them. And I kind of like a warmer sound signature so not expecting any problems with synergy.
Oh for sure they will sound much better in practically anything contemporary compared to that Fiio X5 (I assume you are talking about the first gen). I have the Fiio X5 (still use it for VERY low ohm IEMs), and while I loved it back in the day it was brand new tech, it only outputs 150ma max (which the DX puts out about 3x more in the 3.5mm jack alone).

That extra power from the amp section of the DX WILL make it crank louder, but the most important thing it will accomplish for you, is that it will make them sound to their full potential (whether that is bad or good is for your ears alone to determine). I would not be surprised to hear that you find them to be much more musical/lively with the DX compared to the X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back