iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #6,976 of 6,983
So far the latest iBasso DAPs do have a back that opens up by taking out two screws. Super easy.
Nice, is the battery soldered down to the board or is it a clip that friction fits onto pins for the battery?

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #6,977 of 6,983
I bought a DX160 a few years ago used from here and never really used it much until recently and is it normal for the battery to go down so fast? I feel like compared to my M11 it last like half as long or less.

I use it as my source a lot with it hooked up to my dac through the USB and after only a few hours (like 3) it's down about 50% from a full charge where as my M11 would only be down 10 to 15. Using it as a player through the 4.4 it's not any better, so is this just how they all are?

I love how it sounds compared to the M11 cuz it has a brighter signature which is what I like now and was thinking of getting the DX170 but if the battery isn't any better I'll just look elsewhere.
Six hours for this device that could be as old as 5 years is pretty good. Brand new, the DX160 only gets about 8 or 9 hours. Having said that, don't look for the DX170 or the DX260 to be THAT much better either.

I have the 2019 version of the DX160, and I can still get around 6 to 7 hours. Though admittedly, I don't use it as often as I used to because I normally use my DX300 (12-16 hours battery use) more often.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #6,978 of 6,983
Six hours for this device that could be as old as 5 years is pretty good. Brand new, the DX160 only gets about 8 or 9 hours. Having said that, don't look for the DX170 or the DX260 to be THAT much better either.

I have the 2019 version of the DX160, and I can still get around 6 to 7 hours. Though admittedly, I don't use it as often as I used to because I normally use my DX300 (12-16 hours battery use) more often.
You are very wrong on the DX 260. It gets really really good playtime with very good power out.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #6,979 of 6,983
My M11 which is 6 years old that I've used probably 4 times a week for that long still last about as long as it did new so I guess Fiio make a better product. Doesn't sound quite as good imo but it's not far off, I guess I might just stick with them and get the M15s or something.

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #6,980 of 6,983
My M11 which is 6 years old that I've used probably 4 times a week for that long still last about as long as it did new so I guess Fiio make a better product. Doesn't sound quite as good imo but it's not far off, I guess I might just stick with them and get the M15s or something.
The FiiO just has a much more efficient processor, it's not comparable to the DX160. Doesn't help that I'm using mango mode most of the time which uses more power.

I decided that the much better sound of the DX160 was worth losing the speed and battery life of the M11. You may prioritise usability more.

I've replaced the battery on mine, but unfortunately my iems are pretty power hungry, running high gain at around 60 volume so it's still only giving me 6 hours.

If you're looking for an upgrade the M15s is a very good option. Be warned about its size and weight though.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #6,981 of 6,983
I bought a DX160 a few years ago used from here and never really used it much until recently and is it normal for the battery to go down so fast? I feel like compared to my M11 it last like half as long or less.
Depends on a couple of things. The screen is the biggest battery hog. Even when set to the lowest brightness, it is still brighter than other devices and takes a chunk out of the battery. I have set my screen to go dark automatically after 1min as well. The other power demon on the DX160 is the wireless function. If you aren't using it for streaming, disable the WiFi and BT.

With the screen mostly off and the wireless disabled, I can easily get 6+ hours of use on a charge. I use the 4.4mm output with IEMs on low gain, volume is usually around 50-60. I use my 2020 version DX160 very regularly.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #6,982 of 6,983
My observation is that the DX160 works optimally with high-efficiency headphones, i.e. more than 105db/1Vrms. I use earbuds with around 110 db/1Vrms at a volume setting between 26 and 32. Theoretically, I still get 8 hours, but I recharge the battery at around 30%.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #6,983 of 6,983
My observation is that the DX160 works optimally with high-efficiency headphones, i.e. more than 105db/1Vrms. I use earbuds with around 110 db/1Vrms at a volume setting between 26 and 32. Theoretically, I still get 8 hours, but I recharge the battery at around 30%.
I agree with this theory; however, 105dB/1VRMS is not very efficient. This actually translates to about 91.06dB/mW.

The best way to get the most out of a charge actually is to not only have efficient head gear, but also if it is a higher impedance set. Higher ohms means more voltage, but less amperage draw, where lower impedance equates to lower voltage, but higher amperage draw (unless they are planar or something like that). Having said that, there is a point where this is also not very "battery saving". One example is using a set that is TOO high impedance. You have to set your volume too high to save any energy.

It is much like the reason that think-tanks decided that 55 miles per hour (88.51Kph) was the most efficient for traveling for fuel mileage (way back when). Slower or faster would actually burn more fuel in the end than travelling at 55Mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back