iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 15, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #6,946 of 6,983
Got a used ibasso dx160 wifi dap and stacked with mojo2. Dx160 has coaxial out which is more robust connection than usb, specially when using ferrite clips on the cable. Earlier I tried stacking with my Android phone and usb out but usb c despite being better than micto usb, still can lose connection during evening walk or travel, specially when keeping the stack in pocket or taking out. Usb connection once lost stops the music and connection has to start again. Coaxial doesn't have this problem, even if there is intermittent loss of connection. So i needed a dap with streaming and coaxial out. Dx160 has 3.5mm coaxial out unlike newer daps which have coaxial via usb c out. Now I installed uapp on dx160 and set to upnp with bit perfect out upnp renderer running. Installed bubble upnp on my Android phone and logged into qobuz and cast to uapp renderer of dx160. Dx160 sharing the hot spot of phone, was visible to bubble upnp. M connect and uapp on my phone did not find dx160 as upnp renderer, while sharing hot spot. So now I have an extremely clean and reference mobile set up in the form of mojo2 and fiio ft3 headphones. Mojo 2 stacked with dx160. While phone sending qobuz lossless to dx160, all this can be used while walking. Mojo 2 has -1 click tiny eq at 20khz. The sound is unbelievably 3d and life like and very very musical. No need to add anything extra like amp in the chain to degrade the realism. I just added few ferrite clips on the 3.5mm mono to 3.5mm mono cable around 4mm thick 0.9m long, with right angled plugs, which marketed as some patch cable, working flawlessly between dx160 and mojo 2. Those ferrite clips helped in removing last bit of emi rfi noise from transport and helped in improving the transients, vocal and musicality.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #6,947 of 6,983
Got a used ibasso dx160 wifi dap and stacked with mojo2. Dx160 has coaxial out which is more robust connection than usb, specially when using ferrite clips on the cable. Earlier I tried stacking with my Android phone and usb out but usb c despite being better than micto usb, still can lose connection during evening walk or travel, specially when keeping the stack in pocket or taking out. Usb connection once lost stops the music and connection has to start again. Coaxial doesn't have this problem, even if there is intermittent loss of connection. So i needed a dap with streaming and coaxial out. Dx160 has 3.5mm coaxial out unlike newer daps which have coaxial via usb c out. Now I installed uapp on dx160 and set to upnp with bit perfect out upnp renderer running. Installed bubble upnp on my Android phone and logged into qobuz and cast to uapp renderer of dx160. Dx160 sharing the hot spot of phone, was visible to bubble upnp. M connect and uapp on my phone did not find dx160 as upnp renderer, while sharing hot spot. So now I have an extremely clean and reference mobile set up in the form of mojo2 and fiio ft3 headphones. Mojo 2 stacked with dx160. While phone sending qobuz lossless to dx160, all this can be used while walking. Mojo 2 has -1 click tiny eq at 20khz. The sound is unbelievably 3d and life like and very very musical. No need to add anything extra like amp in the chain to degrade the realism. I just added few ferrite clips on the 3.5mm mono to 3.5mm mono cable around 4mm thick 0.9m long, with right angled plugs, which marketed as some patch cable, working flawlessly between dx160 and mojo 2. Those ferrite clips helped in removing last bit of emi rfi noise from transport and helped in improving the transients, vocal and musicality.
Pictures of your setup would be awesome?! :)

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #6,948 of 6,983
Pictures of your setup would be awesome?! :)
The coaxial cable may seem a bit overdone with ferrite clips which also made the set up heavy to hold in hand while walking but totally worth because of unprecedented sound quality this gear is churning up. I used ferrites in full 0.9m length, with two rounds around some thicker clips and single round with others. Each addition of clip rewarded with cleaner and more focused vocals, better organization of sound stage and imaging to the point of inducing goosbumps. Fiio ft3 supplied cable is very long so i am using a diy cable which I made for hifimam he400se which works for ft3 too. This diy cable uses the legendary oyaide pcocc A cable which was earlier available in the form of very cheap fiio headphone extension cable. Now since fiio has very limited stock left of oyaide pcocc A cable so this fiio headphone extension cable is discontinued. But incidentally fiio ft3 supplied cable also uses oyaide pcocc A cable except that it is too long. Again this is such an unbelievably clean and musical set up which is able to directly connect to the singer.

PS.- the file being played is dsd dop encoded flac file of take five. it is being streamed to dx160 from my phone using bubble upnp app. mojo 2 sample rate white light indicating that mojo 2 is correctly recognizing the dsd dop flac as dsd not pcm, establishing the bit perfection of the chain, my go to go test for bit perfection.

Attachments

• IMG_20231016_230456.jpg
    IMG_20231016_230456.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_230415.jpg
    IMG_20231016_230415.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_230359.jpg
    IMG_20231016_230359.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231016_230337.jpg
    IMG_20231016_230337.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #6,949 of 6,983
The coaxial cable may seem a bit overdone with ferrite clips which also made the set up heavy to hold in hand while walking but totally worth because of unprecedented sound quality this gear is churning up. I used ferrites in full 0.9m length, with two rounds around some thicker clips and single round with others. Each addition of clip rewarded with cleaner and more focused vocals, better organization of sound stage and imaging to the point of inducing goosbumps. Fiio ft3 supplied cable is very long so i am using a diy cable which I made for hifimam he400se which works for ft3 too. This diy cable uses the legendary oyaide pcocc A cable which was earlier available in the form of very cheap fiio headphone extension cable. Now since fiio has very limited stock left of oyaide pcocc A cable so this fiio headphone extension cable is discontinued. But incidentally fiio ft3 supplied cable also uses oyaide pcocc A cable except that it is too long. Again this is such an unbelievably clean and musical set up which is able to directly connect to the singer.
Very nice! Enjoy the music. :)

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #6,950 of 6,983
Love it !

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #6,951 of 6,983
I've had the DAP for three years now. After initial bumpy attempts, I was able to largely circumvent these problems. What remains is the sporadic start to the "black screen" if I don't unplug the charger shortly after it's fully charged. As I've already written, I don't use the Mango player because it's too inflexible and very spartan. What certainly benefits the usable duration of a battery charge is deactivating apps that are not needed, especially Google apps (with Windows tool ADB Appcontrol). When using wired earbuds, I use around 10% battery per hour. It should be noted that I usually charge the battery when there is still around 30% left. It's a shame that iBasso doesn't release any Android updates or at least security-related updates. That would be sustainable. Well, let's wait and see whether there is a DX180 with the latest Android and what awaits us there.

Nov 11, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #6,952 of 6,983
I've had the DAP for three years now. After initial bumpy attempts, I was able to largely circumvent these problems. What remains is the sporadic start to the "black screen" if I don't unplug the charger shortly after it's fully charged. As I've already written, I don't use the Mango player because it's too inflexible and very spartan. What certainly benefits the usable duration of a battery charge is deactivating apps that are not needed, especially Google apps (with Windows tool ADB Appcontrol). When using wired earbuds, I use around 10% battery per hour. It should be noted that I usually charge the battery when there is still around 30% left. It's a shame that iBasso doesn't release any Android updates or at least security-related updates. That would be sustainable. Well, let's wait and see whether there is a DX180 with the latest Android and what awaits us there.
The DX170 has been out for some time now. Seems to address many of these points and has pretty good reviews.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #6,953 of 6,983
Can I rotate the screen on the DX160, top-down or sideways?

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #6,955 of 6,983
Only apps that support this allow rotation. Most of the time this is limited to switching from portrait to landscape, but not 180 degrees.
This is correct information but, you can find apps on Google play store that Wilkes force this behavior. You used to have your device rooted, but maybe you no longer need to. The good news is that if you have the Lurker addon installed, you already have root.

Jan 12, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #6,958 of 6,983
Any specific power requirements to keep in mind while looking for a new battery locally?

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #6,959 of 6,983
The test is disappointing. It was also not stated whether such a replacement battery is capable of quick charging. I'm currently charging the original battery from about 30% to 100% in 1.5 hours. That's justifiable, so I can plan the time optimally.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #6,960 of 6,983
The test is disappointing. It was also not stated whether such a replacement battery is capable of quick charging. I'm currently charging the original battery from about 30% to 100% in 1.5 hours. That's justifiable, so I can plan the time optimally.
This is about the same for me. Never had my 2020 model DX160 die before I was ready to charge. And charge time remains under 2 hours from running it right down to under 10%. I usually get 4-5 hours of listening in, depending on how juicy I get with the volume and how often I bring the screen to life to make changes. So fsar I'm still happy with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back