iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Jan 30, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #5,266 of 6,983
It is Android. If you manually turn the screen off you don't lose connection. I use it all the time that way. Very easy.
My model must be defective then. But I'm cool off that anyway, just got my galaxy s21 ultra ill be ok

Also I've had android product since the galaxy s3 and I've never had a android of mine lose connection or stop playing because the screen went black on its own

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #5,267 of 6,983
It is Android. If you manually turn the screen off you don't lose connection. I use it all the time that way. Very easy.
Exactly I use it the same way without any problems whatsoever!

Well, now, don't I feel like a dumb-ass?! I consider myself pretty tech(y), and I did NOT know this... Well, thanks, I will keep this in mind from now on.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #5,268 of 6,983
My model must be defective then. But I'm cool off that anyway, just got my galaxy s21 ultra ill be ok

Also I've had android product since the galaxy s3 and I've never had a android of mine lose connection or stop playing because the screen went black on its own
It is the Android OS and many people have experienced this from everything I have read.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #5,270 of 6,983
OK that's cool and all but as I've owned them since 2010 and never had that issue I don't feel the dx160 was for me personally
I think the difference here is that in all of your android devices in the past, there was an option in settings that allowed you to turn off wifi sleep. This option has been removed from the settings menu in the DX. The good news is that it DOES indeed work. If you actively turn the screen off then it doesn't go to sleep. Hmmmmm.... Thanks Mr. Obvious, never made the connection! :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #5,271 of 6,983
Last night i had a dream that there was a FW update... i need help!! :D

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #5,272 of 6,983
I downloaded and installed the most recent SW build... no change... still stops Tidal after 5 -6 min.

Turning off the screen manually does not help for me. It STILL quits Tidal regularly after 5 - 6 min.

However, using my iPhone as a personal hotspot, rather than my in-home WiFi, let me run for at least 10 min without interruption. I got interrupted by other things at about 10 min, but will try more later and let you know.

I also have another WiFi system from my cable company, Comcast. They sent it as an (unrequested) upgrade (or sidegrade) to allow us to continue to get certain sports channels (that we never watch, but are part of the package that we bought... one of the disadvantages to the company practice of bundling... getting new hardware for everyone with that package, whether or not they watch one of the 2 or 3 channels that changed and now require it!)

An answer to my query to iBasso said that I should try another WiFi system (hence my iPhone hot spot and the upcoming new Comcast box), and that the DX160 required more WiFi strength to work than the typical cell phone.

I will let you know whether the problem persists or goes away when I make that switch. Thanks!

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #5,273 of 6,983
Just decided to install the latest firmware but for me it sounds fuller with Lurker Add-on, so going back again. No problems at all with the operating system but BT and WiFi performance still bad (compared with the ZX-507). Mango player also is slower to scann library compared to Neutron or UAPP.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,274 of 6,983
I recently got the silver DX160 (2020 Version). I really love the player so far. I chose this over the FiiO M11 due to the newer Android, the fact that it is smaller, lighter and slimmer, and that by all accounts the sound quality is much better, while having what seems like the same battery life.

Almost immediately I ruined both screen protectors since I am horrible at putting them on. Earlier in the thread Paul said the screen is covered by a hard durable Corning glass, so I'm not too worried, but I am curious, how many people use the device without the included screen protectors applied?

Also, on the HiFiGo website, they have a blog article "Audio Setup Under 500$ Recommendation Guide." That article suggests the DX160 with the TinHifi T4. What other IEMs do people suggest that have good synergy with the DX160 that are in the $100 to $200 range?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #5,275 of 6,983
I recently got the silver DX160 (2020 Version). I really love the player so far. I chose this over the FiiO M11 due to the newer Android, the fact that it is smaller, lighter and slimmer, and that by all accounts the sound quality is much better, while having what seems like the same battery life.

Almost immediately I ruined both screen protectors since I am horrible at putting them on. Earlier in the thread Paul said the screen is covered by a hard durable Corning glass, so I'm not too worried, but I am curious, how many people use the device without the included screen protectors applied?

Also, on the HiFiGo website, they have a blog article "Audio Setup Under 500$ Recommendation Guide." That article suggests the DX160 with the TinHifi T4. What other IEMs do people suggest that have good synergy with the DX160 that are in the $100 to $200 range?
I won't use plastic screen protectors any longer. I have a hardened glass on my iPhone, and have used glass on my phones since I cracked one, because I hike all the time. But on the daps, I use nothing. They are naked. lol Never a problem.

I like the iBasso IT01s with the DX160 and other daps. Good bang for the buck.

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #5,276 of 6,983

Dont use too warm or bassy iems as i feel they could become too much with dx160 tuning. For example oh10 is a little too much. And fh3 even if they have much bass but it is still controlled so i feel this is good match. Very enjoyable not type of analytical but more musical sound. Tin hifi 4 i think also very good combo.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #5,277 of 6,983

IMHO I think the Tinhifi P1 planars sound excellent with these (planars in general sound excellent with this device). They are detail monsters, and some even think the treble is a bit hot, but with the DX it calms it down a bit (being on the warmer side of neutral). Also people have complained of them being a bit bass light, and the DX comes to the rescue again on these. Don't get me wrong these phones will never be a bass-head phone, but they are pretty cheap, and IMO compare (sound-wise) to much MUCH more expensive headphones.

I also think the Audiosense T800s synergize well with the DX also. They have quite a bit more bass, but it is BA bass. The treble can be a bit hot on these too (if you are treble sensitive) but can be fixed by subtracting 1 or 2 db in 4k if needed. The only thing is these are more expensive than what you listed, but these (again IMO) punch in at much higher than their price range. Just my 2cents.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #5,279 of 6,983
IMHO I think the Tinhifi P1 planars sound excellent with these (planars in general sound excellent with this device). They are detail monsters, and some even think the treble is a bit hot, but with the DX it calms it down a bit (being on the warmer side of neutral). Also people have complained of them being a bit bass light, and the DX comes to the rescue again on these. Don't get me wrong these phones will never be a bass-head phone, but they are pretty cheap, and IMO compare (sound-wise) to much MUCH more expensive headphones.

I also think the Audiosense T800s synergize well with the DX also. They have quite a bit more bass, but it is BA bass. The treble can be a bit hot on these too (if you are treble sensitive) but can be fixed by subtracting 1 or 2 db in 4k if needed. The only thing is these are more expensive than what you listed, but these (again IMO) punch in at much higher than their price range. Just my 2cents.

I want to agree. The dx160 handles the P1 quite well. I had the M11 before as well and perhaps the tuning could be too neutral for the P1.
I think the balanced output on Dx160 is higher as well. P1 likes to have a bit of juice. I sometimes add a vacuum amp as well to add a pinch of warmth to it.
Alas I recently let go of the Dx160. Gone, but not forgotten.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #5,280 of 6,983

I haven't used screen protectors at all (had the DX160 since may). It's absolutely non-issue at home, and if I go out with it (or with other DAPs/amps), I have a DD-hifi case that keeps the portable audio stuff nicely in check. Then again, I don't have anything on my phone either...I guess that's a good indicator for DAPs as well.
For IEMs in that price range, you could check out the TRI I3 (or the newer and differently built TRI Believe, but I haven't used that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back