iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jan 26, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,111 of 2,153
I'm interested in this player, though admittedly, I already own the Shanling M5s. I wonder how the two compares sound-wise. Does anyone here either have heard or own both players and are kind enough to write a sonical comparison between the two?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,112 of 2,153
The "USB DAC" button in the Settings is not new: it was there initially, and in all previous iBasso DAPs. This puts DX120 to the device, not host (OTG) mode: DX120 is charged from the host which sends digital signal.

The new function is to connect DX120 to an external USB DAC, to output digital signal to the external DAC. This does not require any settings, but it requires DX120 Type-C side to sense that it is in OTG mode: DX120 charges the connected device (DAC). In this role, DX120 works as an Android smartphone with external DAC connected. It will not work if Type-C connector of DX120 does not sense its OTG/host mode.

The new function also require some seconds to recognize an external DAC attached, and then to start playback. It may not switch between outputs (Internal or external DAC) during playback.

Thanks for the explanation, I was confusing things. Then it should be working with my DACs, I have a Benchmark dac1 pre and a peachtree decco125. Maybe it's some incompatibility with these DACs? They're not triggering it to go into OTG/host mode? Connecting it to the benchmark actually freezes the dx120.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,113 of 2,153
Maybe it's some incompatibility with these DACs?
They both are USB Audio 1.1 standard. Probably DX120 expects USB Audio 2.0 standard device.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,114 of 2,153
That sounds right, but i'm surprised the peachtree decco125 sky is 1.1. do you think some kind of usb reclocker or conditioner with usb 2.0 could go between the dx120 and the dac to make the dx120 recognize it?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,115 of 2,153
@zabin29, I said about USB Audio standard, not USB interface standard. So, it depends solely on DAC's firmware. USB Audio 1.1 supports up to 24bit/96kHz, but 24-bit packed, i.e. 3 bytes per sample. USB Audio 2.0 devices usually support 32-bit samples, and 24-bit sampless padded to 4 bytes. 24-bit packed format is that what may cause incompatibility with iBasso software.

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #1,116 of 2,153
@zabin29, more FYI. DX120 has good coaxial output, that outperforms USB Audio 1.1 specs, but USB Audio 2.0 outperforms both. So, for your DACs, coax S/PDIF is better and already working solution. The new feature is good for those who can't use S/PDIF, and most of modern USB DACs support 2.0.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #1,117 of 2,153
That's the biggest concern keeping (aside from money) me from purchasing the DX120. Is this something that can be solved via firmware update to have a DAC w/o charge in addition to DAC w/charge? Or is this going to be an issue solved by a specific OTG cable that has a missing power pin? Or is it a SOL issue?
Same here, I've bought it without a proper research but without that function (USB DAC w/o charge) - I'm considering selling mine.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #1,118 of 2,153
Do you have this problem with the latest firmware? If you do please contact me at paul@ibasso.com and if you can, send me a few files by WeTransfer to my email address and to service@ibasso.com.
It remains the same despite the new firmware unfortunately. I have already sent you the file through Wetransfer to your email, please check it. Thank you!
Feel free to ask me for any more information.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,121 of 2,153
hey @Paul - iBasso

New firmware 2.3.53 has a critical problem.

When I select a file in "All Music",
the artwork and file information is wrong.
I mean the other artwork and information is showing.

Anyone has same problem as I do?
Yes me to problem artwork and file information
and i play dsd via usb type c to my dac topping d30 via usb input the sound have many jitter and no clean play dsd file

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,124 of 2,153
Same here, I've bought it without a proper research but without that function (USB DAC w/o charge) - I'm considering selling mine.

In all fairness, I’m not sure how’d you’d find out about that on release day. It’s something to find out through use, mostly. I’m also not sure how many people who bought the DX120 bought it to be a USB DAC from a smartphone source. I can, however, easily understand the appeal of the DX120. It’s got a nice form factor, the blue color looks particularly nice (and is $20 USD more on Amazon for it), it’s got a simple, easy to use firmware, has extremely high storage capacity, line out - balanced - optical - coax output and pretty good battery life. Those are some of the reasons I’m keeping an eye on the DX120.

I’ve got the Sony ZX300, and it does just about everything I need it to - USB DAC from phone with a short cable, contain my music library, and doesn’t charge from DAC mode. I like the sound, too, though I recognize that there are strengths of other players, like iBasso and FiiO that better align with my sonic tastes. But my combined storage is nearly full, I require Windows to do the 12 Tone Analysis to take advantage of the SenseMe channels, and the library rebuilds every power off and can take a few minutes to complete. So, this is why I’ll pop up every now and then and ask about teh USB DAC function and battery drain.

So, iBasso’s done a pretty good job on the DX120. They’re ironing out some minor firmware issues as we go along, and it seems most people are pleased with it.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,125 of 2,153
In all fairness, I’m not sure how’d you’d find out about that on release day. It’s something to find out through use, mostly. I’m also not sure how many people who bought the DX120 bought it to be a USB DAC from a smartphone source. I can, however, easily understand the appeal of the DX120. It’s got a nice form factor, the blue color looks particularly nice (and is $20 USD more on Amazon for it), it’s got a simple, easy to use firmware, has extremely high storage capacity, line out - balanced - optical - coax output and pretty good battery life. Those are some of the reasons I’m keeping an eye on the DX120.

I’ve got the Sony ZX300, and it does just about everything I need it to - USB DAC from phone with a short cable, contain my music library, and doesn’t charge from DAC mode. I like the sound, too, though I recognize that there are strengths of other players, like iBasso and FiiO that better align with my sonic tastes. But my combined storage is nearly full, I require Windows to do the 12 Tone Analysis to take advantage of the SenseMe channels, and the library rebuilds every power off and can take a few minutes to complete. So, this is why I’ll pop up every now and then and ask about teh USB DAC function and battery drain.

So, iBasso’s done a pretty good job on the DX120. They’re ironing out some minor firmware issues as we go along, and it seems most people are pleased with it.

So yes, I think it's just a matter of high expectations on my side.
I didn't find it out initially because it was a spontaneous purchase. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying it (dac w/o charge) would make it almost perfect experience. It would be a replacement for a dap or usb-dac without any "but" moments.
I agree, pretty good job on the dx120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back