iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Nov 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #901 of 2,153
Excellent review. I was confused about one thing. You said something about OTC being a no-go. It works perfectly for me but I don't actually need to use it right now as I still have room on my cards. I was using this tiny little USB
C flash drive OTG with my Hidisz AP200 beause it only has one card slot. Here it is on the DX120.

Also there needs to be documentation for the Lock Screen. I really like to lock the buttons and then turn off the screen when listening to an album.

Sorry about the terrible photo. I have not worked out how to photograph display screens very well.

My apologies, let me clarify OTG digital audio output to an external amp/dac and not OTG flash drives.

Ah yes the unlock screen. I tend to turn that off and screen dimming also during a/b testing lol

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #902 of 2,153
I can hear a bit of difference between the sounds of the filter modes, but I wouldn't be able to tell which is which if someone were to blindfold me and randomly cycle through them.

Yes absolutely, it is not something you can blind A/B on.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #903 of 2,153
Ah yes the unlock screen. I tend to turn that off and screen dimming also during a/b testing

It is not something that gets turned on and off in the options. You do it by hold in the play button on the side and it just comes up.

There is nothing in the manual or any reviews that this is a feature. I had been wishing there was an option and then XBTed accidently found it.

By accident! I was trying to fast forward, but I was pushing the play button instead of the fast forward. BAM! Locked!

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #905 of 2,153
Does the DX120 have the OTG software to allow External Flash drives to act as external storage devices using the USB C port?

That was what I was showing in my photo on page back... so yes.

I did discover one thing. If I put the drive in the USB slot before powering up the player, it went into a boot loop. So I took it out and then put it back in after the player had booted... went to Directory view and there is was.

I have also tried it with a tiny little card reader. That works too.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #906 of 2,153
That was what I was showing in my photo on page back... so yes.

I did discover one thing. If I put the drive in the USB slot before powering up the player, it went into a boot loop. So I took it out and then put it back in after the player had booted... went to Directory view and there is was.

I have also tried it with a tiny little card reader. That works too.
I did see it connected, but then again one can connect anything as long as it has a USB C connection. Just by connecting does not mean it will function the same as SDXC drives in Ports 1 and 2. Judging by your comments it does appear that it works adequately. I have since been into the Manual, and it does say you can connect an OTG device into that port to act as additional storage. Thank you for highlighting that facility as my 2 x 400 GB cards are full.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #907 of 2,153
I did see it connected, but then again one can connect anything as long as it has a USB C connection. Just by connecting does not mean it will function the same as SDXC drives in Ports 1 and 2. Judging by your comments it does appear that it works adequately. I have since been into the Manual, and it does say you can connect an OTG device into that port to act as additional storage. Thank you for highlighting that facility as my 2 x 400 GB cards are full.

Yes, maybe I should have showed photos of the albums inside the OTG directory and then one of a song playing :) I probably would have if my photos were turning out better. I have to figure out how to get clear photos of the screen.

As I said, I have not actually had the need to use that feature yet on this dap but I should mention when I do use OTG with my Hidizs AP100 or my Cayin N3, the battery life is reduced because it has to power the extra device.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #908 of 2,153
Just finished a very comprehensive review of the DX120. I am impressed by it and really hope iBasso also continue with the new design philosophy :smile_phones:

https://headfonics.com/2018/11/ibasso-dx120-review/

Quoted from your review:
"My own preference after going back and forth was the super slow roll-off or the last option on the list. It is perhaps the smoothest of the 5 options available and provides the best tonal body for instrumental timbre. Again, this is a very subtle sound shaping option and it does take a while to figure out where your preference lies."

We have similar preference:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx120.23427/reviews#review-21168

But I couldn't hear any difference from the sound mode, and it also doesn't show any differences in my measurement.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #909 of 2,153
Quoted from your review:
"My own preference after going back and forth was the super slow roll-off or the last option on the list. It is perhaps the smoothest of the 5 options available and provides the best tonal body for instrumental timbre. Again, this is a very subtle sound shaping option and it does take a while to figure out where your preference lies."

We have similar preference:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ibasso-dx120.23427/reviews#review-21168

But I couldn't hear any difference from the sound mode, and it also doesn't show any differences in my measurement.

Then I suggest you go for EQ? That to me seems the logical option if the sound modes are not rocking your world.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #910 of 2,153
Then I suggest you go for EQ? That to me seems the logical option if the sound modes are not rocking your world.

No that's not the point. I simply want to know what sound mode does to the audio file. Like digital filters or EQ we know what kind of processing they do to the audio file. But there is no explanation what sound mode does to the audio file.

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #912 of 2,153
Received my first ibasso product today (DX120) after returning the Fiio M9. Happy to report the DX120 sounds better in all areas, and operates in a responsive manner. However, one niggle, my IEMS with in-mic cable do not work (they have 3 pole rings on the 3.5mm jack), the 2 pole/ring with no mic work fine. Is that by design or is my unit defective?

Nov 19, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #913 of 2,153
Received my first ibasso product today (DX120) after returning the Fiio M9. Happy to report the DX120 sounds better in all areas, and operates in a responsive manner. However, one niggle, my IEMS with in-mic cable do not work (they have 3 pole rings on the 3.5mm jack), the 2 pole/ring with no mic work fine. Is that by design or is my unit defective?

I have had that problem and I had to use the spacer that my husband received with his DX200. It has to do with the way the iems are wired. See if pulling the plug out a small amount causes the sound to kick in. The spacer is a small o ring... or maybe it is called a keyboard spacer. It keeps the plug from going too far into the jack.

Thanks for reminding me. I had meant to post about that.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #914 of 2,153
I have read (I don't use an inline mic as the wire isn't that good and only degrades the sound) that there are two types of inline mics. One works with the DX120 and the other does not and you have to use an adapter in order for this other type to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back