iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Nov 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #886 of 2,153
Nice review and great photos. About the back... mine came with a plastic protector over the glass back. Are you sure that is not what has the scratches? Not the glass? Mine also came with a glass protector applied already to the front screen.

Glad to see I am not the only one who prefers the super slow roll off.

Very nice review! As mentioned above, the back has a screen saver on it. For scan speed, I use two 400gb cards and it does very well. It would also depend on the type of files as MP3 can be in the many 1000's of files and take longer.

Thanks! Unfortunately I have returned the DX120 to Zeppelin, so I don't have it with me now. For the demo unit that I reviewed, it seems there wasn't any plastic protector over the back side, but I will double check when I go to Zeppelin. Maybe it was early batch unit for demo? I'm not so sure about that.

Excellent review! I wonder what Paul would say about the fact that there is no difference between the first four filters? I wonder if there is a difference in the past firmware 2.1.20 and 2.0.0?

I measured the frequency response and digital filters in both firmware version V2.1.20 (22 September 2018) and V2.2.42 (28 October 2018), and all same result. Yea I'm curious what Paul will comment about the digital filters in USB DAC mode. In DAP mode they are working fine.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #887 of 2,153
Thanks! Unfortunately I have returned the DX120 to Zeppelin, so I don't have it with me now. For the demo unit that I reviewed, it seems there wasn't any plastic protector over the back side, but I will double check when I go to Zeppelin. Maybe it was early batch unit for demo? I'm not so sure about that.

I measured the frequency response and digital filters in both firmware version V2.1.20 (22 September 2018) and V2.2.42 (28 October 2018), and all same result. Yea I'm curious what Paul will comment about the digital filters in USB DAC mode. In DAP mode they are working fine.

The back surface is glass and comes with a screen saver covering it. That is what scratched. No DX120 were made with a plastic back.

The filters for the chip are set by the manufacturer.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #888 of 2,153
The back surface is glass and comes with a screen saver covering it. That is what scratched. No DX120 were made with a plastic back.

The filters for the chip are set by the manufacturer.

Noted with thanks Paul! I have amended my review and removed the comment about the easily scratched back surface.

As for the filters, why all of them work fine in DAP mode, but in USB DAC mode only 2 filters work?
In USB DAC mode only Slow filter and Super Slow filters work, but filter 1, 3, and 4 all behaves like filter no 2 which is the Slow filter.
If the filters are set by the manufacturer, then they should work in similar fashion in both DAP and USB DAC mode right?

One more thing, how about the aggressive treble cut? Is it also dictated by the chip or is there any tuning that iBasso can do for the treble cut off frequency?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #889 of 2,153
Yeah we agree and that's what I supposed as well (that it was chip related), it's pretty telling that AK don't advertise the sound modes... placebo stuff it would seem...

I don't see any differences on both frequency domain (audio analyzer) and time domain (square wave playback on oscilloscope) measurement. All sound mode look the same. I also couldn't hear any difference testing all the sound modes. I'm just guessing it is probably clocking algorithm, if there is any, inside the chip.

Nov 17, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #890 of 2,153
One more thing, how about the aggressive treble cut? Is it also dictated by the chip or is there any tuning that iBasso can do for the treble cut off frequency?
Thanks!

I hope nothing gets changed. Everything I have used with it sounds great just as it is.

@davidmolliere your avatar terrifies me... lol.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #891 of 2,153
Nov 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #892 of 2,153
I just read over the 63 page AK4495 datasheet. Interesting stuff, if you're into that kind of thing. Anyhoo, they give a pretty good technical description of the different filter modes. As far as sound modes go- well after looking at the data sheet and the various marketing material, its obvious that they are just colloquial terms for the filters, especially after Paul has said that all the sound stuff is on the chip. So, I'm sticking with my original thought that the sound mode buttons are vestigial and aren't implemented. I guess iBasso went the route of assuming that people using their devices wouldn't be scared off by filter terminology! Good for them! I think 'short delay slow roll off' is more meaningful than 'natural', or whatever term was used in the marketing.

Attachments

• AK4495EQ.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 18, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #893 of 2,153
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #894 of 2,153
Great review :)

You managed to spot differences in sound modes, kudos! I'll try traditional and see if I can spot differences...

That was the longest part of the listening session. Used an Andromeda and the Phantom but I think the Andromeda a little easier to pick up on. I had hesitated on whether to ignore them alongside digital filters as I am not a huge believer in these compared to DSP and EQ but I gave it a shot anyhow.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #895 of 2,153
Just finished a very comprehensive review of the DX120. I am impressed by it and really hope iBasso also continue with the new design philosophy :smile_phones:

https://headfonics.com/2018/11/ibasso-dx120-review/

I've read your nice review, and liked some of the others you've written. After reading it, I can't help but think that perhaps something isn't quite working right with my player. I get no change at all with the sound modes.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #896 of 2,153
I've read your nice review, and liked some of the others you've written. After reading it, I can't help but think that perhaps something isn't quite working right with my player. I get no change at all with the sound modes.

yeah, it super subtle and I need to emphasize that big time. I sort of gave up on digital filters but some swear by them. These changes are nano-sized as mentioned to David, spent ages listening to them to see what difference I could make out. If you are spending ages then my own logic says stick to EQ lol.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #897 of 2,153
yeah, it super subtle and I need to emphasize that big time. I sort of gave up on digital filters but some swear by them. These changes are nano-sized as mentioned to David, spent ages listening to them to see what difference I could make out. If you are spending ages then my own logic says stick to EQ lol.
I can hear a bit of difference between the sounds of the filter modes, but I wouldn't be able to tell which is which if someone were to blindfold me and randomly cycle through them.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #899 of 2,153
Just finished a very comprehensive review of the DX120. I am impressed by it and really hope iBasso also continue with the new design philosophy :smile_phones:

https://headfonics.com/2018/11/ibasso-dx120-review/

Excellent review. I was confused about one thing. You said something about OTC being a no-go. It works perfectly for me but I don't actually need to use it right now as I still have room on my cards. I was using this tiny little USB
C flash drive OTG with my Hidisz AP200 beause it only has one card slot. Here it is on the DX120.

R0013846.JPG

Also there needs to be documentation for the Lock Screen. I really like to lock the buttons and then turn off the screen when listening to an album.

Sorry about the terrible photo. I have not worked out how to photograph display screens very well.

R0013834.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back