iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #631 of 2,153
I don't think the dx120 handles 400GB cards very well, never mind anything greater. Perhaps it's caused by the shear volume of songs, as I have both high bitrate Mp3 and Flac files on the cards, but it can take some time to read. Sometimes the DX120 doesn't finish reading the complete card, just gives up and shuts down. This tends to happen with the second card.
The ability of the DX120 to play off of the genre list is also broken. Again possibly tied to the shear volume of music on the two cards.

Do we know what the limit is for the number of files that the player can read and index? I know the Cayin N3 is limited to 20,000 files. Of course you can always access everything in folder mode. It sounds like you are exceeding whatever the limit is. How many files do you have on it?

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #632 of 2,153
For those who do not have both, which one would you recommend if just for music listening purpose

If you buy extra modules, DX150, if you don't, then DX120.

The 1 TB microSD cards should be out pretty soon from Lexar.
I can't even fill one 256GB card, so many albums on my bucket list to buy.

Well, you're lucky :)

I went way over 400 GB recently, and the good old collection is still growing.

I don't think the dx120 handles 400GB cards very well, never mind anything greater. Perhaps it's caused by the shear volume of songs, as I have both high bitrate Mp3 and Flac files on the cards, but it can take some time to read. Sometimes the DX120 doesn't finish reading the complete card, just gives up and shuts down. This tends to happen with the second card.
The ability of the DX120 to play off of the genre list is also broken. Again possibly tied to the shear volume of music on the two cards.

I haven't experienced this issue, but I think I may have a smaller collection. How large is your collection in number of files?

Do we know what the limit is for the number of files that the player can read and index? I know the Cayin N3 is limited to 20,000 files. Of course you can always access everything in folder mode. It sounds like you are exceeding whatever the limit is. How many files do you have on it?

I would also add that some DAPs can do well with embedded cover art, while for some, having embedded cover art may reduce the speed of it with large number of files.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #633 of 2,153

Yeah, folder mode is a savior.
Currently, the DX120 lists 19,536 music files. When one adds folder art plus files it maybe not able to read, I can see the 20,000 file limit on this player as well.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #634 of 2,153
I have just under 7000 files on a nearly full 200 GB card (that I use with my Cayin N3 which only has one card slot). That means a 400 GB card would hold 14,000 files using the 16bit Flac files that I have (a few are 24 bit but not many). No MP3s. That means, in my case, two 400 GB cards would hold 28,000 ...way over the limit... if the limit is 20,000. With MP3s it would be many more files. I think you would want to be using mostly 24 bit Flac or higher if you want to use two 400 GB cards. For me, two 256 GB cards would be about right...cheaper too.

Because my card is full I have been using the OTG feature with my Cayin... flash drives with albums on them. This feature is also available with the DX120, so there is always room for expansion.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #636 of 2,153
There is no limit. The size of artwork is best at 900X900 or less as this can slow scanning and speed when viewing albums and too large of artwork can interrupt scans and cause what appears to be a malfunction in the scan by stopping. Also check tags.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #637 of 2,153
Is there any place reputable in USA to get this yet ? This is the perfect DAP for me and I will use it as transport via coax.

It should be on Amazon soon or it is available from our site at www.ibasso.com.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #638 of 2,153
There is no limit. The size of artwork is best at 900X900 or less as this can slow scanning and speed when viewing albums and too large of artwork can interrupt scans and cause what appears to be a malfunction in the scan by stopping. Also check tags.

Pual, is it best to have the artwork embedded in the file or as a folder image?

I've done both with my tagging and folder prep. Perhaps that is what is slowing things down for me?

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #640 of 2,153
I just scanned in 2 400gb cards. One with all DSD and the other with 16/44 and some 24/96 and 192. Many files, don't know the number but it took a little under 20 minutes for the little less than 800gb of albums. The response is fast when I click on an album and then to a song and going back and forth, from the end of the song to the next one etc. I embed artwork and some albums have the artwork as a jpeg and embedded in the songs. I keep the artwork around 600X600 as larger isn't need but some is around 900X900. Volume at 39 on high gain with the IT04. Luther Allison live playing right now and the sound is jumpen'! lol

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #642 of 2,153
Had this device for 2 weeks now. Sounds great coming from the Aune M1s.

For those with the Dx80, does it have the same screen size with the black bezel? It was in my pocket with my mobile phone this morning and noticed the screen protector started chipping when I got it out of my pocket.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #643 of 2,153
I have just received my second DX120 (as the first malfunctioned and returned to iBasso). I put my 2 x Sandik Ultra 400gb into Port1 & 2. and turned on the DX120. One card has just under 10gb free and the other 40gb. I went to directory, chose SD1, it then listed everything on the card, without any delay. I chose one album (FLAC 24 bit 196 - Beethoven Symphony No.1), I chose track 1, and it played without any scanning.
I have continued to listen to other albums without scanning.
I have acquired new Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohms) which I had converted to Dual Output and acquired a Balanced cable from the same source (Custom Cans). I should say I think I should have gone down the 32 ohm option as even on High Gain the Volume Setting is well above I used to use on my DX90 with my Bose QC35. I presume this is because I chose the 80 ohm option.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #644 of 2,153
I went to directory, chose SD1, it then listed everything on the card, without any delay. I chose one album (FLAC 24 bit 196 - Beethoven Symphony No.1), I chose track 1, and it played without any scanning.

Yes, you do not need to scan the card if you are always going to use directory mode and choose your folder. Scanning is to index all the songs so you can use Artist View etc which will include everything from both cards at the same time. I do it because I can never remember what is on which card:) Of course all the albums have to be properly tagged for this to be useful. Also I have noticed with all daps that Classical albums and Various Artist albums are very difficult to tag. I always use directory view for those and make a separate directory called Classical and another called Various Artists.

My DX120 arrived last Wednesday. I ordered it from Amp3 in the UK the previous Friday which I think was the first day that they stocked it. I have filled a 200GB card and am using that at the moment. It took about 5 minutes to scan it. I am waiting for a second card to arrive... 256GB. I do not want to pay what a 400GB costs at this time... maybe in a couple of years...

Mine arrived with the latest firmware already installed. Love the form factor and the UI. Sounds great as well.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #645 of 2,153
Yes, you do not need to scan the card if you are always going to use directory mode and choose your folder. Scanning is to index all the songs so you can use Artist View etc which will include everything from both cards at the same time. I do it because I can never remember what is on which card:) Of course all the albums have to be properly tagged for this to be useful. Also I have noticed with all daps that Classical albums and Various Artist albums are very difficult to tag. I always use directory view for those and make a separate directory called Classical and another called Various Artists.

My DX120 arrived last Wednesday. I ordered it from Amp3 in the UK the previous Friday which I think was the first day that they stocked it. I have filled a 200GB card and am using that at the moment. It took about 5 minutes to scan it. I am waiting for a second card to arrive... 256GB. I do not want to pay what a 400GB costs at this time... maybe in a couple of years...

Mine arrived with the latest firmware already installed. Love the form factor and the UI. Sounds great as well.
What are your overall impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back