iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #617 of 2,153
Anyone else have this problem, Genre play doesn't seem to work. If I go to a genre, let's use Classical for example, press down, then hit the play option, the first song will be of the correct genre, in this case Classical, then the following songs will be all over the place and outside of the selected genre.
The odd thing is that I can turn the genre into a playlist easy enough. Then play those songs out of a playlist, so there is a work around.
I should add that I have two 400 GB cards, filled almost to capacity, of high bit-rate MP3's and Flac files. I'm suspicious that may have an impact.
On my DX200 I have no problems with Genre play using Mango, that player has only one 400 GB card.
Any thoughts, related experience?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #618 of 2,153
It seems the DX120 manual is out on the Ibasso site

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #619 of 2,153
DX120 Manual:

http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20181010/201810101813547040.pdf

6E3B5B34-207D-4A75-B3F4-91B248DCADA7.jpeg 43D456C5-8BBE-425E-BE79-05ECCE71CD28.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #621 of 2,153
Sent a PM to iBasso asking to remove ‘A’ and ‘The’ from the Album/Artist sort function. Really annoying.

Been running mine a week now.
2 x Sandisk Ultra 400Gb
Takes about 15mins or so to rescan the cards.
1500 albums. 220Gb on the first card, 140Gb on the 2nd.
So far very impressed with the clarity and resolve. Can be a bit harsh on the treble if the file is crapp but with ‘Short Delay, Sharp Roll Off’ it sound very good. Easily comparable to my Hp-p1 which was the intention. Triple-stacking was becoming a PITA. My Vorzüge sits neatly below it.

Anyone else’s crackle when you skip tracks??

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #623 of 2,153
Thank you for the kind words :)

I think it works pretty well with 99Classics, but as you probably know, I tend to recommend some EQ with 99C, because they are warm and thick, so the EQ needed for them may be a litte different with DX120 than the one I recommended last time. iBasso has a more unique EQ implementation which is not quite that aggressive, so you may need to add a bit more in the treble to make up for their more fine control . Happily, so far, it seems you can achieve really good results with it :)

The 99 classics are a really good product, I see you have provided a review of the DX150 could you say which you prefer DX120 or DX50 and if either of these would be preferable with the 99c. I am more interested in sound and UI quality no need for streaming or other bells and whistles. I mainly use FLAC,some in 24 bit. I listen to a variety of music, Muse, Epica, Within Temptation, Pogues, Waterboys, Annie Lennox, Faithless, Kosheen also like live stadium concerts and acoustic concerts. My present equipment is a DX50 with a D14 Bushmaster, so hoping for a good improvement over this set up. The D14 I will use on my P.C. when I have sorted out which DAP to buy.

Thanks
Lofgents (Dave)

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #624 of 2,153
The 99 classics are a really good product, I see you have provided a review of the DX150 could you say which you prefer DX120 or DX50 and if either of these would be preferable with the 99c. I am more interested in sound and UI quality no need for streaming or other bells and whistles. I mainly use FLAC,some in 24 bit. I listen to a variety of music, Muse, Epica, Within Temptation, Pogues, Waterboys, Annie Lennox, Faithless, Kosheen also like live stadium concerts and acoustic concerts. My present equipment is a DX50 with a D14 Bushmaster, so hoping for a good improvement over this set up. The D14 I will use on my P.C. when I have sorted out which DAP to buy.

Thanks
Lofgents (Dave)

You listen to music very similar to me actually! :)

Also, thank you for your kind words!

If you have DX150 already, then getting AMP5, AMP8 or AMP4 for it may make more sense than getting DX120. The main drawback of DX150 for Meze 99C is the AMP module, which is a little too warm and too thicc / too smooth, given that Meze 99 are already quite thicc and smooth. This overemphasizes their signature, which I would normally EQ against by increasing the treble and decreasing the bass.

DX150 is better than DX120 in almost every way, including the DAC, so you can increase your fun and experience by getting a better AMP module rather than changing the whole DAP.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #625 of 2,153
You listen to music very similar to me actually! :)

Also, thank you for your kind words!

If you have DX150 already, then getting AMP5, AMP8 or AMP4 for it may make more sense than getting DX120. The main drawback of DX150 for Meze 99C is the AMP module, which is a little too warm and too thicc / too smooth, given that Meze 99 are already quite thicc and smooth. This overemphasizes their signature, which I would normally EQ against by increasing the treble and decreasing the bass.

DX150 is better than DX120 in almost every way, including the DAC, so you can increase your fun and experience by getting a better AMP module rather than changing the whole DAP.
For those who do not have both, which one would you recommend if just for music listening purpose

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #626 of 2,153
I think the DX120 nails it for a pure music listening device. I happen to really like the latest wave of no extra frills music players.The balanced output has quite a bit of power, while 3.5mm is no slouch I need to bump the volume a bit with my hybrid IEM's. I like the UI, not sure it is a good as theBit or A&K in that department but I am still playing with it. It is certainly worth a look if you are looking for a DAP that excels in playing music, without extras.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #629 of 2,153
The 1 TB microSD cards should be out pretty soon from Lexar.
I can't even fill one 256GB card, so many albums on my bucket list to buy.

I don't think the dx120 handles 400GB cards very well, never mind anything greater. Perhaps it's caused by the shear volume of songs, as I have both high bitrate Mp3 and Flac files on the cards, but it can take some time to read. Sometimes the DX120 doesn't finish reading the complete card, just gives up and shuts down. This tends to happen with the second card.
The ability of the DX120 to play off of the genre list is also broken. Again possibly tied to the shear volume of music on the two cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back