iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #11,281 of 13,503
Quote:
I've read and confirmed myself that 24/192 is (seems to be) overkill and 24/96 sounds just as good. 24/96 files are almost half the size of 24/192. That's where I comprimise.

That would be nice, thanks for the heads up. I think I'll try a single movement of the same Beethoven 4th Piano concerto as a comparison.  I do know the the difference from the CD version is quite noticeable.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #11,282 of 13,503
Quote:
The DX100 has its quirks, but all is forgiven when the music plays.

As for stellar recordings of stellar performances, I trust that you already own this one? https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD602527585901

Don't let the fact that it was recorded in 1975 fool you. You will be able to pinpoint the people in the audience clearing their throats. Sure, it's jazz improv' piano, not classical, but I personally believe that anyone with an opinion on recording quality needs to own that recording.

That album is wonderful. My parents have an original pressing vinyl record, but it had been so intensely played that I never really enjoyed spinning it on a turntable, thus never realizing what it was all about. Only when I downloaded the HDtracks HD digital audio remaster did I truly realize how grand Keith Jarrett's Köln Concert performance is. And I concur, the recording quality is very good.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #11,283 of 13,503
Hm.

I emailed iBasso, and it seems like my battery is dying. It'll cost me $15 for a replacement. Gonna see if I can get an upgraded R10 battery or something.

Did a benchmark today, UM Miracles (1 IEM attached only, since I can only use 1 ear). Started at 7:17 AM @ 100% charge, hit 0 by 11:44 and auto shut off. Thats pretty awful.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #11,284 of 13,503
Just got my DX100 from Service Center and it still sounds sublime...no more beeping sound for my iems. However, I already cant control the screen after a few plays. And the unit is now getting hot! The outside temp here is 36degrees celsius and it may affect the player in some sort. Do you also encounter this? Or do I need to reservice this again

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #11,285 of 13,503
Quote:
Just got my DX100 from Service Center and it still sounds sublime...no more beeping sound for my iems. However, I already cant control the screen after a few plays. And the unit is now getting hot! The outside temp here is 36degrees celsius and it may affect the player in some sort. Do you also encounter this? Or do I need to reservice this again

It happens, but are you keeping it in a closed pouch, closed pocket or something ? It happens to me when I used the DX100 and keep it in a camera pouch.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #11,286 of 13,503
Hm.

I emailed iBasso, and it seems like my battery is dying. It'll cost me $15 for a replacement. Gonna see if I can get an upgraded R10 battery or something.

Did a benchmark today, UM Miracles (1 IEM attached only, since I can only use 1 ear). Started at 7:17 AM @ 100% charge, hit 0 by 11:44 and auto shut off. Thats pretty awful.

Was it iBasso's suggestion to use the HDP-R10 battery?? Isn't it 4.2V (vs DX100's 8,4V)??

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #11,287 of 13,503
Ahm...I think it was kept in my bag when it was playing. Although it was in the pouch of my bag with ample ventilation but under the glowing sun. though I don't know if there is a temperature cap for these players to work well in their manual.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #11,288 of 13,503
If I have mine in a pocket or in something closed, it can get pretty warm, depending upon what headphones. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #11,289 of 13,503
Quote:
I've read and confirmed myself that 24/192 is (seems to be) overkill and 24/96 sounds just as good. 24/96 files are almost half the size of 24/192. That's where I comprimise.

I just got the 24/96 track and can't reliably tell any difference. There seems to be one at times but I expect it's just the placebo effect saying higher res has to sound better.

One very annoying thing with the 24/96 track is that often when I select it it starts playing at an increased speed and very distorted. It's as if the DAC can't reliably handle this freq. It's very annoying and unpleasant, and if it's something that happens with all 24/96 tracks I'd stick with 24/192. Unfortunately there's no way to find out without buying more tracks.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #11,290 of 13,503
Quote:

The temperature in the UK almost never gets to that level. Last week was the first one in which overnight temp here stayed above freezing... Fortunately I have my DX-100 to keep me warm...

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #11,291 of 13,503
Quote:

One very annoying thing with the 24/96 track is that often when I select it it starts playing at an increased speed and very distorted. It's as if the DAC can't reliably handle this freq. It's very annoying and unpleasant, and if it's something that happens with all 24/96 tracks I'd stick with 24/192. Unfortunately there's no way to find out without buying more tracks.

Yes, that's a known issue that's been reported by several people here.The DAC sometimes gets confused when switching from a track with one sample rate to another. With me it happens maybe 1 out of 50 times when switching tracks with different rates, which is very much tolerable in my opinion. It seems to be random.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #11,292 of 13,503
Quote:
Yes, that's a known issue that's been reported by several people here.The DAC sometimes gets confused when switching from a track with one sample rate to another. With me it happens maybe 1 out of 50 times when switching tracks with different rates, which is very much tolerable in my opinion. It seems to be random.

In the little experience I've had so far it happens more often than not which isn't tolerable. I guess the solution would be to stay with 24/96.

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #11,294 of 13,503
The fix for The Smurf Effect (double playback speed) is from the main player to press the bottom left "menu/info" button -> SRC -> Change from native play to another sample rate and then back again. Does this still happen on 1.3.7 firmware?

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #11,295 of 13,503
The internal amp is good for a DAP, but there are quite a number of external amp which can make it sounds much better, depending on individual taste. Taste can also vary for the same person at different moments. I personally like to experiment with different IEMs and amp combinations and choice is import.
That, to me, is what a truly high end amplifier section can do.  The first place you notice it is in the bass.

That's why I simply can't understand why some people think they need to pair the DX100 with an external amp.  The amp section in the DX100 is absolutely stellar!

Oh well, to each his own I suppose...

Congrats on the new toy! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back